Eastern Invasion

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

There is a new loyalist unit in the latest release so you should consider making it available in yout campaign.
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience

Post by Guest »

turin wrote:OK... this will, hopefully, work. tell me if you can download the file.

lsimmons.net/joe/loyalistcampaign3.tar.gz

i can't test it because of firewall or something...i don't really understand it, someone just told me it would work.
It worked. But you should add "http://" to the link, to make it clickable.

http://lsimmons.net/joe/loyalistcampaign3.tar.gz

Post by Guest »

turin wrote: i had to rewrite it!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
(The actual point of this post: basically, if you downloaded my campaign for 0.6.99.5, then you will have to rewrite the makefile a bit)
On gentoo I've always had to do that, from way back. No big deal.

Post by Guest »

General

Could you please inlcude the General unit. It really sucks having to hide my leader so that no one attacks him and he is promoted into general, just to find out there is no such General and the whole scenario quits.

At least, make him non-promotable until the G is in.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

The general unit is just the generic general....
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

wait; i've had this problem, at least in earlier versions.

in the lieutenant config file, is specifies 'general' as the advancement, not 'General'. you need to capitalize the G or the game crashes.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Kamahawk wrote:There is a new loyalist unit in the latest release so you should consider making it available in yout campaign.
You mean the loyalist bowman? yes, i've been planning to let you get it.
BTw, why was the name on 'heavy infantry' changed to 'heavy infantryman'? can i use either one, or is only one 'correct'? (they are both still on the create unit debug list)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Anonymous wrote:General

Could you please inlcude the General unit. It really sucks having to hide my leader so that no one attacks him and he is promoted into general, just to find out there is no such General and the whole scenario quits.

At least, make him non-promotable until the G is in.
The problem is that the game-included Lieutenant unit advances to type 'general' while the name of the unit is 'General'. (i.e. a case-sensitivity issue).

I have committed a change to CVS which fixes this, and will be available with the next release.

In the meantime, you can edit the file data/units/Lieutenant.cfg and change

Code: Select all

advanceto=general
to,

Code: Select all

advanceto=General
David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

i think i just said that, dave.

anyway, there are several duplicate units in the newest version. which one is correct?

(e.g. orcish crossbow AND orcish crossbowman, heavy infantry AND heavy infantryman)
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

turin wrote:i think i just said that, dave.
Ermm...sorry, I missed it :)
turin wrote: anyway, there are several duplicate units in the newest version. which one is correct?

(e.g. orcish crossbow AND orcish crossbowman, heavy infantry AND heavy infantryman)
The versions with 'man' on the end are correct. The others are kept their for compatibility purposes, but will be removed eventually.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming

Post by Guest »

turin wrote:i think i just said that, dave.
Yes you did, but Dave's version was easier to understand. So thanks to you both for the fix. :D And, while we're at it, double thanks for a great game. I really like it a lot, and the add on campaigns are super.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Thanks.

I just played my starting scenario on hard and medium, and i think that they are too hard. i think there are a few ways i can fix this:

1) give the enemy less gold
2) give the player more gold
3) give the player Dacyn the white mage from the beginning
4) add a scenario before the current beginning and have the current one be the second scenario.

i am partial to (4), but any suggestions are welcome.
The World of Orbivm
Circon

Post by Circon »

I'd introduce a combination of 1) and 3).
My problem is that the enemies always overrun me very quicly with masses of units, blocking my access to the trapdoor.

So... drop the enemy gold, have Dacyn and the trapdoor appear 3 turns earlier and place the trapdoor 3 turns' movement away from the castle. Then its: "My lord, I have learned of a trapdoor nearby that we may escapte through. But it seems the undead block our path to it!"

To avoid the player moving there at once, I think you can use WML to place the trapdoor with a y-coordinate which is 14 above Gweddry if he is in the lower half of the map, or 14 below if he is in the upper half. Don't quote me on this, though... I just know that Dave introduced several range commands into WML recently.
Oh, and add the Heavy Inf and Bowman, will ya?
telex4

Post by telex4 »

I would just do (1).

* I think it's a really nice first scenario

* Give the player too much gold and they'll rely on lots of gold later rather than sound tactics

* Dacyn appearing is a nice touch, it adds an unexpected dimension to the scenario

* Giving the player too many units in the first scenario ruins the progression; half the fun of going all the way through a campaign is that you gradually get more new units which is really interesting and fun. New units should come in for particular reasons too (e.g. when you get a gryphon in the heir to the throne campaign).
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Circon wrote:I'd introduce a combination of 1) and 3).
My problem is that the enemies always overrun me very quicly with masses of units, blocking my access to the trapdoor.

So... drop the enemy gold, have Dacyn and the trapdoor appear 3 turns earlier and place the trapdoor 3 turns' movement away from the castle. Then its: "My lord, I have learned of a trapdoor nearby that we may escape through. But it seems the undead block our path to it!"

To avoid the player moving there at once, I think you can use WML to place the trapdoor with a y-coordinate which is 14 above Gweddry if he is in the lower half of the map, or 14 below if he is in the upper half. Don't quote me on this, though... I just know that Dave introduced several range commands into WML recently.
Oh, and add the Heavy Inf and Bowman, will ya?
To take your last point first, the Heavy Infantry and Bowman are already available in the first scenario, at least in the newest version i made.

i want the trapdoor next to the castle, because it is really supposed to be inside the cellars or something. also, i think moving the trapdoor would make it too hard, but i am not sure.

i think it is usually a bad idea to move to the trapdoor at once, because your units will not get experience. I got a shock trooper when playing because i waited for two turns after the trapdoor appeared to go in.

When you use the Heavy Infantry and Mages, the enemy is much easier to hold back, although i will probably lower his gold on hard. I definitely will not lower the gold on easy, but i might on medium.

Oddly enough, both of you did not want the ideas i thought were best, which were giving the player more starting gold and/or adding a scenario before this. well, i bend to the will of the masses. :D
The World of Orbivm