Eastern Invasion

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

First of all, can a mod please move all 'bug' posts to a new thread? this one is getting a bit large. it was originally supposed to be only about releasing new versions.

Now: Insinuator, do you have the newest version? i know (or at least think i know) that this bug is fixed in the newest version. it works for me anyway.

and of course making the thieves side 1 will make them allied with you. you're side 1! :D
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

I have version 3.2, and yes, that is what I thought (about the side 1). But changing them just messed everything up.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

If the only information you changed was from the text you have listed, then it is very obvious what the problem is (at least to me): You have been changing the number for which side is able to trigger the events. Here is what you will need to change:

Code: Select all

#define TRAP... X Y
[unit]
side=1
[/unit]
#enddef
; you need to change side=1 to side=4
You also need to add the tag
I wrote:

[side]
type=Yeti
side=4
[/side]
otherwise it will crash.
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Before it was began to crash, that is what I did. I did not add the tag, however, I thought it was already included. Sorry, no access to the file right now, I'm at school, otherwise I could check for sure.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Insinuator wrote:I have version 3.2, and yes, that is what I thought (about the side 1). But changing them just messed everything up.
3.3 was out when you posted that.

and 3.4 is out now.

can you please see if it works with the newer versions? i'm currently checking to see if it works for mine.

[edit]
the new version works now, at least for me. problem solved!
[/edit]
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
jmosher

Tribal Warfare and Lake Vrug

Post by jmosher »

Tribal Warfare seems extraordinarily hard (on Medium). Your opponents have a lot of gold and can buy piles of lethal troops. Meanwhile, the player has not had a chance to amass much gold ahead of time and risks running out the clock while husbanding his precious few troops.

The elves in particular have got it way too good: lots of cash, Avengers, and a huge forest to dominate. After dying repeatedly, I reduced their gold by 100. This resulted in a more even match against the Orcs. I was able to gain dominance everywhere but the forest and then moved in on the Elf Lord.

There we definitively established that Loyalists don't perform well in large forests. Most of their troops are slow there, and their mounted troops are almost useless. Meanwhile Avengers are racing around the defensive lines and killing 2nd or even 3rd level units in a single round. Heavy Infantry types survive better but are immobile and unlikely to hit elves in forest.

I suggest reducing the size of the forest or at least putting in some wide meadows and occasional hills. I definitely recommend reducing the Elves' gold by 100, and the Orcs by 50 probably too.

Lake Vrug:
The Gryphon castle is too big. Getting hit by a wave of 5 or 6 Gryphons out of the fog is insane.

The first time a unit steps onto the bridge, it should complain that it is rickety. Otherwise you are inflicting sudden death (again, after the gryphons) without any chance to react--especially if you just trapped one of your leaders up against a horde of Trolls.
Joshua
turin
Lord of the East

Re: Tribal Warfare and Lake Vrug

Post by turin »

jmosher wrote:Tribal Warfare seems extraordinarily hard (on Medium). Your opponents have a lot of gold and can buy piles of lethal troops. Meanwhile, the player has not had a chance to amass much gold ahead of time and risks running out the clock while husbanding his precious few troops.

The elves in particular have got it way too good: lots of cash, Avengers, and a huge forest to dominate. After dying repeatedly, I reduced their gold by 100. This resulted in a more even match against the Orcs. I was able to gain dominance everywhere but the forest and then moved in on the Elf Lord.

There we definitively established that Loyalists don't perform well in large forests. Most of their troops are slow there, and their mounted troops are almost useless. Meanwhile Avengers are racing around the defensive lines and killing 2nd or even 3rd level units in a single round. Heavy Infantry types survive better but are immobile and unlikely to hit elves in forest.

I suggest reducing the size of the forest or at least putting in some wide meadows and occasional hills. I definitely recommend reducing the Elves' gold by 100, and the Orcs by 50 probably too.
thanks for the suggestions!

i will probably implement many of them. i haven't worked on that scenario lately, so expect it to be (ahem) bad for a while. :(
jmosher wrote: Lake Vrug:
The Gryphon castle is too big. Getting hit by a wave of 5 or 6 Gryphons out of the fog is insane.

The first time a unit steps onto the bridge, it should complain that it is rickety. Otherwise you are inflicting sudden death (again, after the gryphons) without any chance to react--especially if you just trapped one of your leaders up against a horde of Trolls.
how about 3-4 gryphons? ;)
the problem, i think, is not the size of the castle, it is the amount of gold.

the second suggestion has been planned for a while, i just never got around to it. :oops:
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

all (most) suggestions have been implemented!

I think.

anyway, there is a new version, 0.3.5. access it using the link below.

suggestions are still, obviously, welcome.

and there is a new scenario, but its not hooked up to the main campaign, because its not near done. the only thing done is the map.
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Mal-Ravanal's Capital is too easy.

Playing in normal difficulty, I just played the first two scenarios, then went farther east in the third and reached Mal-Ravanal's Capital. Dacyn says I have no chance, so I recruit/recall a few troops and obliterate one of the necromancers. "That was easy" I think. I decide to challenge myself a bit, load a save, and go after Mal-Ravanal. His guard is tough, but he's a wimp. All he recruits are a few Dark Adepts. With a few lucky blows from a couple horsemen and Gweddry (level 2), he's dead. Worse yet, nothing interesting happens when he dies.

A piece of general advice(from my brother): Never put your Big Bad Invincible Guy in danger.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Playing in normal difficulty, I just played the first two scenarios, then went farther east in the third and reached Mal-Ravanal's Capital. Dacyn says I have no chance, so I recruit/recall a few troops and obliterate one of the necromancers. "That was easy" I think.
This level is not supposed to be that easy...
Elvish Pillager wrote:I decide to challenge myself a bit, load a save, and go after Mal-Ravanal. His guard is tough, but he's a wimp. All he recruits are a few Dark Adepts. With a few lucky blows from a couple horsemen and Gweddry (level 2), he's dead. Worse yet, nothing interesting happens when he dies.
This is a bug. Whenever one of your units moves onto Mal-Ravanal's castle, it is supposed to be teleported back to your keep. So it should be impossible to kill him.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Mal-Ravanal's Capital is too easy.

Playing in normal difficulty, I just played the first two scenarios, then went farther east in the third and reached Mal-Ravanal's Capital. Dacyn says I have no chance, so I recruit/recall a few troops and obliterate one of the necromancers. "That was easy" I think. I decide to challenge myself a bit, load a save, and go after Mal-Ravanal. His guard is tough, but he's a wimp. All he recruits are a few Dark Adepts. With a few lucky blows from a couple horsemen and Gweddry (level 2), he's dead. Worse yet, nothing interesting happens when he dies.

A piece of general advice(from my brother): Never put your Big Bad Invincible Guy in danger.
I have never had reports on this level before, since no one ever went there. So sorry its so unbalanced.

Its supposed to be relatively easy to get out, but really hard to kill Mal-Ravanal.
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Dacyn wrote: This is a bug. Whenever one of your units moves onto Mal-Ravanal's castle, it is supposed to be teleported back to your keep. So it should be impossible to kill him.
He ran out of his keep to attack my horsemen. Is that a bug, or just a mistake?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Dacyn wrote: This is a bug. Whenever one of your units moves onto Mal-Ravanal's castle, it is supposed to be teleported back to your keep. So it should be impossible to kill him.
He ran out of his keep to attack my horsemen. Is that a bug, or just a mistake?
the scenario was made with the old AI, which never left the keep.

after the new 'attacking' AI was implemented, i forgot to change the side to having some kind of AI special. who knows what i could use for that?
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

turin wrote:who knows what i could use for that?

[ai]
passive_leader="yes"
[/ai]
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Dave wrote:
turin wrote:who knows what i could use for that?

[ai]
passive_leader="yes"
[/ai]
OK, thanks. :)
The World of Orbivm