[Historical] Son of the Black Eye Updated!

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Version 0.10 is on the server. In addition to the ususal ballancing and fixes (including "Giving Some Back" :) ) I also made a rather dramatic storyline change in the begging of the story. Some feedback on this would be helpful. My logic behind the change was that what does Wesnoth have to do with the orcish tribes who are so far north - beyond Knalga even. So I changed the king of wesnoth to the head of the Northern Alliance (from "Northern Rebirth", check out the wesnoth history for details). Then I gave some background information about Kapou'e's father Kauran. This information will play a major part in concluding this camapgin.
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
Grey_Wolf_c

Post by Grey_Wolf_c »

The siege of Barag Gór is quite buggy - there are no shamans to protect. Took me a while (and a visit to the forums) to discover - I rescued the assasin from the cage thinking that was them, and proceded to destroy the elves, before running out of turns.

I have the feeling that the shamans weren't loaded - but then, I saw no siege either (no priests, no elfs, only a lonely assassin that immediately shot south east towards the elven fortress and was brought down fairly quickly).

I just downloaded 0.10 but the bug remains.

Hope that helps,

Grey Wolf
Nyxl

Post by Nyxl »

I've encountered the same problem as Cruco in "Saving Inarix". Inarix and five of his followers were safe within the walls of the north bank. And poof, nothing.

Examining the scenario, I found that some of the casualties variables used to compute the victory conditions are based upon the unit type "Saurian Skirmicher". In my session, I had 2 of those skirmichers upgraded. Would that be a cause for failing to meet the victory conditions ?
bw

1.1.1 update of #ifdef information

Post by bw »

You need to update the ifdef information to be complient with the 1.1.1 server.

e.g.

Change #ifdef to:

Code: Select all

#ifdef CAMPAIGN_SON_OF_THE_BLACK_EYE_UPDATE
[+units]
{campaigns/Son_Of_The_Black_Eye/units}
[/units]
{campaigns/Son_Of_The_Black_Eye/scenarios}
{campaigns/Son_Of_The_Black_Eye/utils}
#endif

Cheers,
bw
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

And you need to copy the folders units/ and images/units over to the campaign dir. Due to the big restructuring some units were made campaign specific.
Nyxl

Post by Nyxl »

Mmh... I'm not sure I've understood all of this, but as a preventive action, I've re-installed BfW from scratch. I think my former installation (directly upon the old version, my bad) had caused a blur between data directories.

I will try Son of the Black Eye again soon. Thanks for the advices.

Edit : downloaded the updated campaign. Made it as far as Barag Gor. If I was pleased to get Grüü back, I noticed the Shamans are missing, too. I'll look into the code later.

Oh, the new siege map is great fun.
Last edited by Nyxl on March 5th, 2006, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Gee, I am sorry about that. Thanks for pointing those things out people. For anyone who doesent know, these bugs are caused from the changes in 1.1.1. I should have them fixed shortly.

sipahi

clash of armies- recall towers?

Post by sipahi »

Great job Taurus, I just played through the campaigns and your efforts have made the gameplay much better. Saving Inarix was more enjoyable than in the original. There is sort of a bug in Clash of Armies though- the Towers are available under recalled armies. I know buying one would be a stupid thing to do, but it seems when you are protecting the 3 you have it's inconsistent to be able to just buy more. Also, the 3 shamans that I've been playing with the past few levels can't be recalled, but there are 3 standard ones offered instead. Wouldn't it be more fun to be offered a choice of which shaman to keep at the end of Saving Inarix? That way if there is one with lots of experience that the player grew fond of, it can be available for recall.
great job!
Science is what you know. Philosophy is what you don't know.
Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Thanks for the imput sipahi. Glad you like it :-) Thanks for pointing out those bugs too, they'll be fixed in the next release. BTW, sorry I have been slowed down a bit on finishing the campaign. By no means am I going to leave it hanging. I just have had a few things come up in my life so Wesnoth kind of had to go on the back burner :-S

sipahi

some text suggestions

Post by sipahi »

Hope all is well outside of Wesnoth taurus! Adversity tests the brave.

Some text suggestions for Giving Some Back:

to witch > to which [intro]
slimy cowered > slimy coward [Kapo'e's line]

General Arthur alternate speech:
Sorry there old chap. You're deemed too insignificant for the likes of the Earl to deal with. He's left that pleasure to me instead.
Science is what you know. Philosophy is what you don't know.
Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)
luciano

Is SotBE maintained?

Post by luciano »

I am in the process of updating the Italian translation for this campaign. But I'd like to know if my work will be actually useful.

Thanks, Luciano
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Re: Is SotBE maintained?

Post by Taurus »

luciano wrote:I am in the process of updating the Italian translation for this campaign. But I'd like to know if my work will be actually useful.

Thanks, Luciano
Are you updating the mainline transalation or the version that I am working on? I changed a lot of the text from the mainline so I don't think the two are really compatable anymore. Also, I didn't upload this campaign to wescamp yet because the text is constantly changing. I thought it wouldn't be fair to have someone go through all this work to transalate it and then have all the text change on him all the sudden and all their work has gone down the drain.

luciano

Post by luciano »

Taurus wrote: Are you updating the mainline transalation or the version that I am working on? I changed a lot of the text from the mainline so I don't think the two are really compatable anymore. Also, I didn't upload this campaign to wescamp yet because the text is constantly changing. I thought it wouldn't be fair to have someone go through all this work to transalate it and then have all the text change on him all the sudden and all their work has gone down the drain.
I was working on the wescamp version. Torangan hinted that the campaign may be unmantained... This is why I have asked here.

If the campaign is in a state of flux, I suppose it's better for me to wait.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

luciano wrote:
I was working on the wescamp version. Torangan hinted that the campaign may be unmantained... This is why I have asked here.

If the campaign is in a state of flux, I suppose it's better for me to wait.
Yeah, thanks. Acutally, this isn't the verision that is on wescamp, unless someone added it without my knowledge. When it is finished, or not fluxuating I'll definaltly put it on.

Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

I know it has been a while but I finally got this campaign cleaned up and added an new scenario. Version 0.11 is being uploaded on the server right now. Sorry for taking so long to get those bugs fixed. But anyhow, I am still alive and kicking and definatly plan on compleating this campaign.