[Historical] Campaign-Rebirth of the North

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I'm not sure, but having this be two separate lines looks suspicious:

Code: Select all

type=Halberdier,Royal Guard,Master Bowman,Pikeman,Swordsman,Longbowman,Javelineer,Spearman,Bowman,Peasant 
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Urg! I can't believe it! Putting spaces inbetween the unit types acutally makes it work! That's weird because on every other scenario I used that text in it worked fine, and it worked fine before. Very weird, but it's working so I am happy. I'll get it uploaded as soon as I get the transalations updated. Thanks Turin.
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Well, as soon as one problem is fixed then another one pops up. I finally got the transalation problem sorted out but now "Old Friend" is crashing on me again. I have it isolated to this like of code where Tallin is changed into a Leuteniant:

[store_unit]
	[filter] 
	description=Tallin
	[/filter] 
	variable=typechange 
	kill=yes
	[/store_unit] 

[set_variable] 
	name=typechange.type 
	value=Lieutenant
	[modifications]
			{TRAIT_RESILIENT}
			{TRAIT_INTELLIGENT}
		[/modifications] 
	[/set_variable] 

[unstore_unit] 
variable=typechange 
find_vacant=yes 
[/unstore_unit] 
{CLEAR_VARIABLE typechange} 
It's funny because in the last round of trials this scenario was working fine and it still works on the older versions of wesnoth. Does anybody have an idea what could be wrong?

toms

Post by toms »

uhm...yes.

You messed up variable WML with single-unit WML.
That means, you stored the leader, manipulated the variable to change him into a lieutinant, but you used [modifications]. This is a tag of the single-unit WML. (to place a unit)

I don´t know right now if there exist 'sub-variables' to manipulate the traits, but when you remove that part, it will work.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Ok, I took those out and here is the code now:

[store_unit]
	[filter] 
	description=Tallin
	[/filter] 
	variable=typechange 
	kill=yes
	[/store_unit] 

[set_variable] 
	name=typechange.type 
	value=Lieutenant
	[/set_variable] 

[unstore_unit] 
variable=typechange 
find_vacant=yes 
[/unstore_unit] 
{CLEAR_VARIABLE typechange} 
But it still crashes :?

Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Ok, I was playing around with it some more and now I am more confused then ever. A few days ago the "supporter" tags were making it crash. Last night is the "typechage" tags that were making it crash and now these are the tags that are making it crash:

[recall]
	description=Father Marcus
	[/recall]

[recall]
	description=Sister Theta
	[/recall]
Both Father Marcus and Sister Theta are mages of light that you find from the previous scenario. The funny part is that I use exactally the same code in the rest of my scenarios and it works fine.

toms

Post by toms »

I know the characters of your campaign.

If you always have problems on another part of the file when you changed it you prpbably have a typo somewhere before.
The general reason for such bugs I found on my scenarios were always things like wrong #endifs or wrong called macros or fogotten quote marks or other typos.
Do a wide-range search for typos of any kind.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Sounds to me like it's a bug in the game engine itself. But in any case, I juggled some of the tags around - I put the tags that change tallin into a leutinent in the prestart event and I put the tags that recalled the white mages at the end of the event. It seems to work so I am uploading the new version right now. Thanks for the help Toms and Turin.

I would also like to offer my thanks to Placid for transalating this campaign in to British English, Gdou for transalting it into french (in progress) and Luciano for transalationg it into Italian (also in progress). The updated trasalations have been included in this release.

toms

Post by toms »

Taurus wrote:Sounds to me like it's a bug in the game engine itself.
The error output is wrong, because the preprocessor does not find some tag closes if it stucks on a bug. Or, when a quote mark is missing, everything until the begin of the next quoted string counts as quoted for the computer, you can imagine where it leads.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Yeah, I know a missing quotation mark or closing tag can throw the whole thing off, but I don't think that is the problem in this case. First of all I went over it and couldn't find anything. Seccondly you usually get an error message saying instead of the whole engine just crashing, and thridly the scenario worked perfectally with all the previous versions of wesnoth. I could be wrong though...

torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Taurus wrote:I would also like to offer my thanks to Placid for transalating this campaign in to British English, Gdou for transalting it into french (in progress) and Luciano for transalationg it into Italian (also in progress). The updated trasalations have been included in this release.
Don't forget to upload your changed version so they'll be able to keep it up to date. :)
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

torangan wrote:
Don't forget to upload your changed version so they'll be able to keep it up to date. :)
On the subject I have a question, do you need to upload a new version to wescamp every time you make any little technical change, or just every time you make changes to the diologe? Because in the past few months I have made many changes to the technical aspects of it (fixing bugs and whatnont) but none of the diologe has changed.

torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Just when you change strings.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
dthurston

Wrong melee tags for L3 outlaws

Post by dthurston »

The level 3 outlaws (Highwayman, etc) are still using the 'range=short' type tags, rather than 'range=melee'.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll release a fix in the next week or two.