[Historical] Campaign-Rebirth of the North

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mlangsdorf

Post by mlangsdorf »

Sorry, I know you're busy with SoBE, and I didn't mean to nag. Just feeling frustrated that I can't complete the final battle of the campaign.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Ok, if you are really that eager then do this, change BFW into windows mode, and then using the toolbar on the top go to the campaigns folder. (I think the path is something like: "data, user, campaigns". Open "Northern Rebirth - Scenarios" and then using a simple text editor such as simpletext or word pad, open up the scenario "showdown". Then scroll down untill you start seeing all the "side" tags. Reduce all their gold by about 50%. That should do the trick without throwing the ballance off too much (that is, if you reduce everyone's gold.)
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
KRCM

Post by KRCM »

Anyone played on normal difficulty ?

I have finished the first scenario quite easy but now I am in trouble in the second scenario. If there wasn't a turn limit it would be an everlasting game.

The way up (blue trolls) and down (green trolls) are impassable. The trolls keep on coming and all I can do is blocking there way. When I try to go through the middle it is real suicide. There are 2 undead armies and one troll army ...

I know that up there is a mage but I do not even get there. I have 4 (2nd level) archers ther that keep rotating the frontline 2 by 2 but I really do not get a hex foreward ...

Any tips ?
Maintainer Elf War
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

KRCM wrote:Anyone played on normal difficulty ?

I have finished the first scenario quite easy but now I am in trouble in the second scenario. If there wasn't a turn limit it would be an everlasting game.

The way up (blue trolls) and down (green trolls) are impassable. The trolls keep on coming and all I can do is blocking there way. When I try to go through the middle it is real suicide. There are 2 undead armies and one troll army ...

I know that up there is a mage but I do not even get there. I have 4 (2nd level) archers ther that keep rotating the frontline 2 by 2 but I really do not get a hex foreward ...

Any tips ?
Actually, I discovered a bug in the difficulty coding. What happens is that when you try to play on "easy" you end up on normal, and if you try on "normal" you end up on hard. On hard the scenario is unplayable. So untill I get it fixed, i would reccomend that you select easy.

As far as stratagy goes, the key is to move very quickly before the trolls get a chance to "get to their feet". Also, recruit a mixture of thugs and poachers. The poachers are good at holding the line but they don't do much dammaga against the trolls because of their resistance to peirce. What I do is I use my thugs as "shock troopers" to knock a hole in the trolls and then move my poachers (or an undammaged thug) into the gap.

D.F.

Post by D.F. »

Taurus wrote:Actually, I discovered a bug in the difficulty coding. What happens is that when you try to play on "easy" you end up on normal, and if you try on "normal" you end up on hard. On hard the scenario is unplayable. So untill I get it fixed, i would reccomend that you select easy.

As far as stratagy goes, the key is to move very quickly before the trolls get a chance to "get to their feet". Also, recruit a mixture of thugs and poachers. The poachers are good at holding the line but they don't do much dammaga against the trolls because of their resistance to peirce. What I do is I use my thugs as "shock troopers" to knock a hole in the trolls and then move my poachers (or an undammaged thug) into the gap.
Ah, NOW I understand why I was losing that way! There were just too many enemies for my taste...

Strategy: I actually arrived to the mage even on Hard. You have to send 2 ore 3 Fast units north in the first turns, to block the trolls so that the path to the mage (north-west) is free, as Taurus says. Another tip: don't recall Archers or Spearmen, as Poachers and Thugs are a lor more effective in the darkness. Taurus's tactic is good; you have to sacrifice some thugs to heavily damage the trolls when they attack you, if you want to advance to their leaders. You can then finish the enemies with Poachers or Thugs you want to level up.

However, even with the mage you can defeat the first troll leader north, and even the southern one with the above mentioned strategy, if you are lucky you can then take out both Death Knights (north and south) even if they have very good defensing positions, but later you end up in the skeletons-VS-trolls havoc in the central part of the map. I really suggest playing Easy (which is Normal) :D
KRCM

Post by KRCM »

I have tried a few times but I am going to restart on easy. On normal (hard with the bug) you really have no change to win before turn 40.

I tried in total 4 times. The best of them ended on turn 40 with the blue and green trolls wiped out, the dead knight behind green wiped out and whit me fighting a desparate battle in the centre, while I had sneeked a quick one to search the dwarves, but they seem to have lost the battle to ...

So my conclusion : It is impassble certainly without aid of the dwarves ...
Maintainer Elf War
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Typo in German translation of Northern Rebirth

Post by SkeletonCrew »

In the following file
http://svn.berlios.de/viewcvs/*checkout ... o/po/de.po

search for first occurence of "Ro'Arthian and Ro'Sothian" the German translation is also
Ro'Arthian and Ro'Sothian instead of Ro'Arthian und Ro'Sothian

Another point is that I first posted it on http://bugs.wesnoth.org/
because in the file header it says
Report-Msgid-Bugs-To: http://bugs.wesnoth.org/

The bug was marked invalid because I had to post on the forum.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

I am looking at the file but I don't see any bug. Mind you, I am pretty illiterate when it comes to the transalating aspect but if there is a problem it is my responsibility to fix it.

Also, Version 1.12 is ready. I will be uploading it on the server in a couple of minuits. It inculdes a new map for "Showdown", fixed the bugs that were breaking the levels, and the music, and one new music track for "Settling Disputes." I also went ahead and added some of the mainline music to a couple of the scenarios.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot, I updated the transalations too.

SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

search for first occurence of "Ro'Arthian and Ro'Sothian" the German translation is also

I haven't looked at the new version yet, but the typo is still at the url in my previous message. The typo is; the word "and" isn't translated and should be translated with "und".
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

SkeletonCrew wrote:

I haven't looked at the new version yet, but the typo is still at the url in my previous message. The typo is; the word "and" isn't translated and should be translated with "und".
Hi SkeletonCrew!
Thank you for your input. We need people like you to point us to the errors in our translations. I will take care of the typo, you have mentioned. Next time you find an error in the german translation, please post your findings at: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/GermanTranslationErrors

There are many more translations that need a review on the page:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/GermanTranslation
Thank you
Stefan
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

Hi Stefan,

Could you also change the bug report location in the po-file to this location? That would really help me to send bugs to the proper location in 1 attempt :D.

Regards,
Mark

PS: German is not my native tongue; I'm still learning it... so reviewing translations will be difficult :wink:.
Sly

Post by Sly »

Taurus wrote:
KRCM wrote:Anyone played on normal difficulty ?

Any tips ?
Actually, I discovered a bug in the difficulty coding. What happens is that when you try to play on "easy" you end up on normal, and if you try on "normal" you end up on hard. On hard the scenario is unplayable. So untill I get it fixed, i would reccomend that you select easy.

Hah I understand why it was so difficult :?

Played it 3 times before finishing it on turn 40 with luck. A hell of a scenario !

The 3rd was a piece of cake (and I got 2 rangers 8) )
The 4th was hard but doable, dwarves are very very usefull.

Just begun the 5th ... and I fear it'll be worse than the 2nd ... a lot of lvl2 and lvl3 undeads in cave :x

Maybe I'll restart in easy (because of the bug) if I cannot pass it
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

BTW, I fixed the bug in the latest version, as well as a few other things (music, a new map ect.). I am not sure how it will affect your savegame but I think it would be worth downloading and giving it a try. In any case, if you are going to restart, might as well restart with the new version.

Sly

Post by Sly »

Taurus wrote:BTW, I fixed the bug in the latest version, as well as a few other things (music, a new map ect.). I am not sure how it will affect your savegame but I think it would be worth downloading and giving it a try. In any case, if you are going to restart, might as well restart with the new version.
Ok :wink:

Although I'm going to restart only if I can't eventualy beat this level.
(and exploring I think I saw a white mage prisoner, so it may be easier than I first thought :D )
Sly

Post by Sly »

I beat it :D

(was kind of harsh, at a time I felt I wasn't progressing at all (-800 gold, all my lvl1 dead and was blocked in the right and left bottlenecks).

But with patience I slowly cut my way trhough this bag'o bones 8) .
The spiders were a naughty trap (and I had a harsh time when they escaped !!!). And the "pseudo immortality" of this blasted lich was unexpected and annoying :evil: (but it only worked once, the right way to kill him was obvious)