[Historical] Campaign-Rebirth of the North

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Taurus
Inactive Developer

[Historical] Campaign-Rebirth of the North

Post by Taurus »

I have created a new Campaign based around the people living in Dwarven Doors (Remember that screano from HttT?) I would post it up on the campaign server except I can't seem to figure out how to do it. Anybody know how it's done? The Wiki says to upload it from "Get more campaigns" and then select "Publish Campaign". The problem is that I can't see any "Publish Campaign" option.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
Disto

Post by Disto »

Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Yeah, did that. Is this what it should look like:

author="Taurus"
title="Rebirth of the North"
icon=neutral-peasant-attack.png
version="0.1 (Incomplete)"
image=Peasant.jpg

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Basically.

But the image= line won't do anything, so you might as well remove it.

Also, the version, author and title fields are truncated at a certain number of characters. "Taurus" won't exceed the author field, but "Rebirth of the North" might exceed title and "0.1 (Incomplete)" will certainly exceed version.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

Have you made sure the .pbl file, the .cfg file and the folder all have the same name and exist at the same level? The option to publish is at the bottom of the campaign list. Are you sure you scrolled all the way down?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Yeah, the .cfg and .pbl files and the folder are in the same level. Yes, I am sure I scrolled down all the way. If it is the name or verson number that is too long I changed it to "Northern Rebirth" That should be ok eh? Here is what my pbl file looks like right now:

author=Taurus
title=Northern_Rebirth
icon=neutral-peasant-attack.png
version=0.1

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Where are they located? They need to be in .wesnoth/data/campaigns/, or the equivalent for your OS.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Yes, they are in library/prefences/wesnoth/data/campaigns. I am using Mac OS X 10.3.4 and wesnoth 9.1 if that helps.

scott

Post by scott »

Maybe try quotes. Here is my pbl file:

author="scott"
icon="neutral-outlaw-attack1.png"
version="v1.11 (BFW 0.9.1+)"
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Just tried that. Still no go. Do you have to have a valid "pbl" file in your campaign directory in order for that opton to be avaiable on the campaign server? I have never seen that option before.

scott

Post by scott »

Well it looks like you figured it out, right? I just noticed it on the campaign server.

Edit: Here is a suggestion:

in the opening story, say "stronger and stronger" rather than "more and more stronger"
Last edited by scott on May 5th, 2005, 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Alright, I got it working. I think the problem was in the file itself. I deleted it and wrote the "pbl" file all over again. Now it's up.

If anybody has any suggestions, comments, questions or feedback please let me know.

Special thanks to all you guyz for helping me out, and to Invisible Philosopher for his Campaign Design walkthrough. It was a big help.

So, let me know what you all think so far.

aelius

Post by aelius »

I've tried to play it through several times now, and I can't beat the first scenario, no matter what strategy I try. Even fighting only during the day time, letting the two orcs fight each other first, protecting and leveling peasants, I still end up outnumbered and outgunned after about 20 turns and get run over.

I think part of the difficulty is that there are so many villages and you don't have anything that can reliably hold them. When your army is made up of exclusively level one units, it's really depressing when you're outnumbered!

It's also very difficult to level units, as peasants don't have zones of control and one orcish grunt can kill a peasant in one attack.

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
Attila

Post by Attila »

aelius wrote:I've tried to play it through several times now, and I can't beat the first scenario, no matter what strategy I try. Even fighting only during the day time, letting the two orcs fight each other first, protecting and leveling peasants, I still end up outnumbered and outgunned after about 20 turns and get run over.

I think part of the difficulty is that there are so many villages and you don't have anything that can reliably hold them. When your army is made up of exclusively level one units, it's really depressing when you're outnumbered!

It's also very difficult to level units, as peasants don't have zones of control and one orcish grunt can kill a peasant in one attack.

- b.
I liked the campaing, but I had the same problem. The only units that I could recruit were peasants who were destroyed by the orcs. My suggestion is to have the player be able to recruit chaotic humans: Image,Image, Image, and Image. (You can download the level 3 versions from the campaign server)
aelius

Post by aelius »

Attila wrote:I liked the campaing, but I had the same problem. The only units that I could recruit were peasants who were destroyed by the orcs. My suggestion is to have the player be able to recruit chaotic humans: Image,Image, Image, and Image. (You can download the level 3 versions from the campaign server)
I'd be wary of making it too much like Liberty - I think the only peasants idea is a good one, but it's hard to swarm your enemy with weak units when you're outnumbered!

I think that toning down the huge number of villages and maybe shrinking the orcish keeps would make it a fun and interesting challenge.

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)