[Historical] Campaign-Rebirth of the North

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Fopper

Post by Fopper »

Hello Taurus,

I downloaded Wesnoth 1.2 and 1.17 of Northern Rebirth. I saw that you didn't use the latest Dutch translation, is that correct? I know the translations is only half way (it will take some time to finish with some test knocking at the door..)
No offence but I just wanted to notice it.

Foppe
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Hello Fopper.

This is kind of irrelevant, because there were new text changes in 1.17.

The german translation was nearly complete, but now i have to translate some dialogs again. So there is nothing to worry about. Changes can happen. And when they make the game better, i vote for changing. :D
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Sorry about that Fopper and thanks vonHalenbach. As vonHalenbach pointed out, there are a lot of changes in 1.17. There are still a few more forthcoming changes to the text so I am waiting for all those to be finished before I upload it to wescamp. I'll post a message here when I get it uploaded.
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Good, because I'd like to help with the Spanish translation if there's no one or it isn't being updated. :)
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Version 1.18 is out. Not as dramatic a release as 1.17, but it does contain alot of essential polishing and bug fixing. Special thanks once again to Eric Raymond (esr) for more prose doctering and also for making marcos for the extra 'newbie' level.

The transalations are also updated on wescamp as well. I also would like to take this oppertunity to thank the active transalators; Fopper for the dutch, vonHalenbach for the german, Luciano for the italian, Gdou for the french, Placid for the britinsh - english, and Shadow Master in advance for the Spanish. (if I accidently forgot someone then please let me know).

digitoxin

Problems...

Post by digitoxin »

Hello!

First, this campaign is great, very hard and interesting.

I'm just playing that level where you finally have to kill the evil skeleton. I did find and kill him and then the mages say something about it cannot be killed.

Then the level goes on and i don't know what to do....

I have looked in all paths and there is nothing more i could do in that level but it does not end.

What am I supposed to do to end the level?
Fopper

Post by Fopper »

You have to kill him, but you have to find out wich type of creature can kill him... If you read between the lines I think you will find out who can...
digitoxin

Post by digitoxin »

You have to kill him, but you have to find out wich type of creature can kill him... If you read between the lines I think you will find out who can...
So i have to start over... does that mean that this level contains a dead end without the fault of the player (because they mention the killing stuff after the skeleton has disappeared).
Fopper

Post by Fopper »

No, he just went to an other castle... , just find him and kill him with someone else..
Cheat tip: ....
Last edited by Fopper on January 16th, 2007, 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Fopper wrote:No, he just went to an other castle... , just find him and kill him with someone else..
Cheat tip: reload....
SPOILERS ahead:

If I remember correctly, he moves to a castle hidden inside the "Great chamber".
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
darkwraith007

linked to bug

Post by darkwraith007 »

Here's the link to where I posted about a bug, though it has already been replied to by Taurus, I still put it here due to request to place in the thread.

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=210817
truffant

Post by truffant »

I just finished the campaign and i especially liked the mix of big battles and the pool of heroes you could accumulate during the campaign. Nothing beats a healthy mix of Liches, an electrocharged wraith and Dwarvish Lords.

Oh, and i loved also the possibility of Tallin turning undead, giving in to the dark side of the force.

And last but not least, the first scenario was great. Being just allowed to recruit peasants was really refreshing.

Possible Bug: After the scenarios where you chase your stolen gold, i didn't get my 8000g back for the final Battle. Is this intended?
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Hey truffant, thanks for the feedback and glad you like it :-) BTW, the undead branch isn't fully compleate yet, I am planning on adding around 5 more scenarios to that branch.

About the gold, it's not really a bug, but more of a matter lack of know-how. At the time when I created that scenario, I didn't have the WML knowlege to take that stored gold, split it into three equil parts and give it back. Anyhow, I have gotten better since then so I am pretty sure I can figure it out. Now that you have reminded me, I'll get on it.

Oh, and welcome to the forums. I hope to see more of you around here :-)

truffant

Post by truffant »

You made us some perfect cliffhanger there at the temporary ending of the undead branch!

What you made with the branching in your campaign is like in the Under the Burning Sun where you have the choice of allying with the trolls or the dwarfs – it's more demanding for the creator of the campaign to offer options to the player, but i got the pleasure of first playing on the side of the dwarfs and then again against them. So i got two campaigns for the price of one :-)

If you also offer a branching and thus vary the options the campaign its an incentive to play it again because.

In Northern Rebirth I first didn't find the wraith nor the lightning rod in Pursuit until i read about both in this topic. So i replayed it and got the wraith the lightning rod to get me another poison resistant assassin-hitman.
Are there other hidden features or heroes i might like to find in your campaign?

In Northern Rebirth I didn't know what to do with the drakes. My white mages didn't heal them as they are under another flag, and they seemed quite fragile to me and helpless. I would have liked it more to allow Tallin to recruit himself drakes, this would have made "joint fighting" and levelling easier.

thanks for your work here and your nice reply!

truffant
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

You got the concept of the branching down :-) After I finished SotBE, I had nothing to do, other then the basic maitnence work. So, instead of starting on another whole new campaign, I decided to just add on to this one. So rather then have 5 or 6 small sepperate campaigns, I would just have one really big pollished one.

About the Wrath, getting the rod of justice, I didn't know about myself until someone brought it up :-) Make sense though. Previousley I used it on a Dwarvish Lord. That is another killer combo.

The thing that you tend to forget about the drakes though is that they are level 1 units. By this time Tallin's army is made up of hardended vetrens, but just think back to all the level 1 units that died further back. And besides, your opponents are a lot tougher then the ones at the beggining too. So you do have to baby them a bit until they start leveling up. And the white mages should heal them. You just have to remember that they heal at the begginging of the Mages turn, not the Drakes.