[Historical] Campaign-Rebirth of the North

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sly

Post by Sly »

Hey the following scenario is bugged ! :cry:

There is a scenario objective "killing Rakshas ... if you can" but when my wraith-assassin kill him, nothing happens :?

I checked the .cfg file and there is no death event for hi.

Is it intended ? This is a fake objective or is it just a bug ?
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Hi Sly

Congragulations on beating 'The Persuit'. Oh, did you get the Rod of Justice?

About 'Old Friend", how in the world did you mannage to kill him? Did you hack into the cfg file? And I guess you could say that yes, it is kind of a phony objective, I had designed that sceanro so that it would be pretty much impossible to kill him. That objective is more in line with the story then the actual gameplay, and it is designed to make the scenario into more of a brawl then a siege opperation.

That being said, I should probobally code some sort of event in the unlikely event that you do mannage to kill him...
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
Sly

Post by Sly »

Taurus wrote:Hi Sly

Congragulations on beating 'The Persuit'. Oh, did you get the Rod of Justice?

About 'Old Friend", how in the world did you mannage to kill him? Did you hack into the cfg file? And I guess you could say that yes, it is kind of a phony objective, I had designed that sceanro so that it would be pretty much impossible to kill him. That objective is more in line with the story then the actual gameplay, and it is designed to make the scenario into more of a brawl then a siege opperation.

That being said, I should probobally code some sort of event in the unlikely event that you do mannage to kill him...
Yes I got the Rod, and that's why I managed to kill Rakshas :wink:

:arrow: When I discovered there was a rod of justice, it was with my only thug that survived and didn't level, so I prefered to load a preceding turn considering it was worse than a waste. (As I'm talking about this, you should make a script to allow the unit to not pick up the Rod and let another one pick it up :wink: )
So I considered wich unit would be best suited to the rod and suddenly though about the wraith that joined me several turns ago ... and gave it to him :twisted:

A flying unit that drains on melee and have a 18-5 magical ranged attack ... it wrecked havock in "Old Friend" and that stupid Rakshas put himself in ranged of him at night, so he was dead.

I know it's a bit of a munchkin ...
Sly

Post by Sly »

About Rakshas's death I think you could just add an event such that a bodyguard save him in the last moment and he call the reserves, so you still don't win :wink:

Ah and talking about theese reserves ... killed me a *lot* of units :evil:
I managed to retread well, but lost many lvl 1 and some lvl2 (whom I hadn't lost any before in the scenario).

Currently I'm at the Retrieve the gold scenario and the drakes are fun.

But still the dwarves are extremely helpfull and the liches rox 8)
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Hmmm, didn't think of giving the Rod of Justice to the wrath. That is pretty smart. But yeah, I'll take you up on adding that event, thanks. I am glad you seem to be having fun :-)

Sly

Post by Sly »

Taurus wrote:Hmmm, didn't think of giving the Rod of Justice to the wrath. That is pretty smart. But yeah, I'll take you up on adding that event, thanks. I am glad you seem to be having fun :-)
That wasn't my first idea either (I first though about giving it to Tailin or a Dwarven Lord) :wink:

And yeah, what I like in this campain is the "great clash of armies" in every other scenario.
I had lvl3 units very fast, but I lost about 100 lvl1 in the first 2 scenarios ....

This campain is a fun and entertaining one :D
new

Post by new »

I say only: TOO MUCH TEXT AND TOO MUCH VISITIORS :shock: .

new the map creator 8)
RedLTeut

Infested caves translation bug

Post by RedLTeut »

In the german translation of the second scenario, the text presented to the player reads cryptically ~~.{role=supporter.user_description}.~~

In the same scenario start, the "I" in "I cannot kill" is not translated to "Ich".

downloaded 2006-10-07 from campaigns server
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Re: Infested caves translation bug

Post by Taurus »

RedLTeut wrote:In the german translation of the second scenario, the text presented to the player reads cryptically ~~.{role=supporter.user_description}.~~

In the same scenario start, the "I" in "I cannot kill" is not translated to "Ich".

downloaded 2006-10-07 from campaigns server
Thanks for pointing that out RedLTeut. I myself know absoloutley nothing about German :-(, and I have minimal controll over transalations, other then adding them to the campaign. The place to report transalation errors is here:

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/GermanTranslationErrors

Also, version 1.13.1 is up on the server. It includes new portratis (well, the old ones except they have color now), numerous bug fixes and some more ballancing.

Sly

Post by Sly »

Taurus wrote:Also, version 1.13.1 is up on the server. It includes new portratis (well, the old ones except they have color now), numerous bug fixes and some more ballancing.
If I have time I'll retry it to see :D

I'm in the last scenario and I just noticed that the poor drake are given a very bad situation : they're the nearest to the enemy and the cannot recruit lvl2 units (comparing to the elves for an example) my drake commander had to flee to escape the slaughter :cry:

The rest is doing well still :wink:

Ah and I had to say that the scenario ("Get the gold") is far too easy comparing to the preceding one ("Eastern flank")
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Sly wrote: If I have time I'll retry it to see :D

I'm in the last scenario and I just noticed that the poor drake are given a very bad situation : they're the nearest to the enemy and the cannot recruit lvl2 units (comparing to the elves for an example) my drake commander had to flee to escape the slaughter :cry:

The rest is doing well still :wink:

Ah and I had to say that the scenario ("Get the gold") is far too easy comparing to the preceding one ("Eastern flank")
I think you are using the version 1.12.* right? Because in 1.13 I redid that whole map to kind of ballance it out a bit.

And I agree, Get the gold is too easy. I'll toughen it up a bit when I get the chance.

Sly

Post by Sly »

Taurus wrote:I think you are using the version 1.12.* right? Because in 1.13 I redid that whole map to kind of ballance it out a bit.
Yes, I am.

The only painfull thing is that a turn take 1/4 for the IA ... at turn 4

I can't imagine wat it will be in a few turns :?
Angry Andersen

Post by Angry Andersen »

Hi there ! I started playing your campaign a few weeks ago (on hard). So far I think it is quite unique. The battles are huge and require a different strategy than all other campaigns I played before. While other battles are usually about units, the battles in your campaign are mostly about territory. Units are often expendable, but getting through that corridor, etc. is what really counts. In comparison to 'recruit max. 2-3 keeps of units per scenario' campaigns, managing the amount of gold is also quite different. This is interesting and challenging and I was quite surprised to 'rediscover' BfW to some extent when I first started this campaign.

The long time needed for each turn and the big number of turns required in each scenario are sometimes a bit tedious, but I believe that downsizing the number of units would make the campaign less unique.

Often, the first 2-3 moves can decide if the scenario becomes impossible or not (at least on hard). E.g. in the 2nd scenario you have to run for the mage immediately. If you're just one turn late, the trolls will block the narrow passage and only incredible luck will allow you to get through. As these things can not be known in advance, the first try on any scenario is most often doomed to failure. This makes the whole thing more like solving a riddle by trying different things, but having to try every map a couple of times distracts quite a bit from the story (This is very opposite to UtBS which is mainly story-driven).

Here are some thoughts on the various scenarios:
1st: I really like the idea of only having peasants at first. Not having a single unit with ZoC forces you to plan completely differently.
2nd: Can be quite random. Sometimes the dwarves manage to get past the undead, sometimes they don't. Sometimes the eastern troll leader gets killed by undead, sometimes he doesn't. This influences the difficulty of this scenario a lot. All in all a good scenario.
3rd: Really nice for a change. If you don't train quite a few Dwarvish Fighters, the next level becomes a lot harder (I didn't as I relied more on Thunderers).
4th: Huge massacre. The emphasis is much on the early moves. Once the first two leaders are knocked out, victory is almost secured, but you still need 20 rounds to get there. After the 3rd leader is killed the lich could flee, ending the scenario earlier than expected (nice surprise! The extra gold might balance the smaller amount of xp gained).
5th: I tried this one for the first time recently. Again, not doing the right thing from the very beginning seems to make this map impossible.

Btw I haven't gained any lvl3 outlaws yet - I only discoverd they are in the campaign from reading this forum. But I'm pretty sure one of my thugs or poachers should have gained enough XP by now to get there. Do you have to install the lvl3 outlaws separately ?
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Hi Angry Anderson

I'm glad you like the campaign :-) This was actually my first campaign so a lot of thins wern't exactally planned the way they turned out. But now this campaign seems to have taken on a life of it's own so I decided to pretty much leave it as is - except for the minor ballancing changes, and keeping it up to speed with the latest verion of wesnoth.

A few hints on the fifth campaign, each passage has it's challanges, and it's rewards. The best way to beat this one is to maintian controll of the map. Just keep the undead bottled up in the passages and hold them untill you are ready to clear them out. And one of the first places you will want to visit is the dungens. There are some people in there whose help you could really use.

The level 3 outlaws should work weither or not you have downloaded the package, as they are incouded when you download northern rebirth. But I think that the xp needed to level a thug or poacher is the same as ALMA. If any thugs or poachers levels through ALMA without turning into a level 3 unit let me know...

Angry Andersen

Post by Angry Andersen »

Thanks for the hints, it went much better this time. I also got some lvl3 outlaws now. But there seems to be a problem with lvl3 poachers (rangers): When they attack, the defense is always 0-0 no matter if I use the sword or bow...

The next mission (old friend) is VERY easy if you just stay in the cave and defend (this is not very sporty behaviour, I know !). It can be done with just a handful of lvl1 guys with the healers behind them.

Maybe the mission goals could be set to at least defeat one or two of the orcish leaders. That way it would be much more challenging and closer to how it was meant to be, I believe.