[Historical] Campaign-Rebirth of the North

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

breversa

Post by breversa »

Wow, I've restarted this campaign last week. I had tried it months ago before, but gave up because of the tides of cannon-fodder tactics needed to win.

So just one question : will this "red army" tactic (with tens of units needed) have to be used often after the first two scenarii ? I must confess it deters me from going any further (not that I couldn't, but I don't enjoy it)...

EDIT :
After browsing this huge thread more thoroughly, I guess I won't enjoy this campaign as much as smaller-scaled ones. Too bad, I liked the portraits and the storyline... :(
French translation contributor
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

I wouldn't call it cannon folder tactics, as simply throwing away your units to the enemy will not win you any battles in this campaign. The design employed in the sense is based on the real life fact that in war, you will have casualties. To win the war however, and to survive in later levels, you will have to build up a solid army of higher level units, and use a lot of tactical sense. The scenarios are generally just big and have an epic feel to each and every one to them. You will notice as you go along that each scenario has a lot more story to it then most other campaigns. Anyhow, it is a unique style and that is what makes it stand out from other campaigns in my humble opinion.

There are however a few shorter scenarios thrown in to mix things up, but about two thirds of them are epic scenarios. Also, in the undead branch of the story, the sceanrios seem to be turning out to be a bit smaller.

But I will be honest, if you don't like big battles, then you won't like this campaign. If that is the case, then I would reccomend the other campaign that I maintain, Son of the Black Eye. I feel that it also has a great storyline, and the scenarios are a lot smaller.
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
breversa

Post by breversa »

Thank you for your reply, Taurus. :)

I've begun SotBE as well and I indeed like it better. I might come back to Northern Rebirth later, just to discover the storyline (and portraits !) a bit further... and especially the undead branch.

Keep up the good work, Taurus : I may not like huge epic battles, but that's my personal taste, and since BfW allows for gigantic battles and players like them... Go for it ! :D
French translation contributor
JimBass

Post by JimBass »

Hey man, I've found another problem with The Rebirth of the North, and this time it happens both in the SVN 1.3 version and the 1.2 developer version.

The scenario is "The Persuit". Once I open the hidden passage behind the drake cage in the south west corner or the one next to the boss due east of the starting position, the problems start. I can't walk into the newly opened space, and if I save the game and then try to open it, I get the error message, "The game map could not be loaded: Illegal character found in map. The scenario cannot be loaded."

I was playing the game in the 1.3 svn edition, but importing the game into the developers 1.2 branch, the same problem happens.

There was also a major problem where you could re-recruit people. I had multiple rescued mages, and multiple dwarven lords running around. They fixed that problem however over the last few days. Unfortunately, the fix completely erased all of my recallable troops, but that's about par for the course of playing on svn.

Peace,
JimBass
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

JimBass wrote:Hey man, I've found another problem with The Rebirth of the North, and this time it happens both in the SVN 1.3 version and the 1.2 developer version.

The scenario is "The Persuit". Once I open the hidden passage behind the drake cage in the south west corner or the one next to the boss due east of the starting position, the problems start. I can't walk into the newly opened space, and if I save the game and then try to open it, I get the error message, "The game map could not be loaded: Illegal character found in map. The scenario cannot be loaded."
It sounds like it uses a custom terrain. The trunk (1.3) has a new terrain system, where the old custom terrain are no longer supported; they need to be converted to the new system.
JimBass wrote:I was playing the game in the 1.3 svn edition, but importing the game into the developers 1.2 branch, the same problem happens.
The new terrain system also renders the 1.3 savegames incompatible with 1.2.
JimBass wrote:There was also a major problem where you could re-recruit people. I had multiple rescued mages, and multiple dwarven lords running around. They fixed that problem however over the last few days. Unfortunately, the fix completely erased all of my recallable troops, but that's about par for the course of playing on svn.

Peace,
JimBass
I noticed the same problem and I notified Yogi Bear about the problem, I'm not sure about the exact status of the problem however.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Now that sounds really far out! Well, I'll check it out and get back to you but let me stress again, keep the SVN 1.3 version out of it! Northern Rebirth is designed to run on the development version. From the sounds of it, I believe this problem is caused from the SVN version, but I'll still check it to be sure.

torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

I just played a bit on 1.2 and noticed a tiny problem. Would be nice to fix those as the support for them will be gone one day.

error config: unit Brigand uses an image_defensive tag, which is deprecated
error config: unit Brigand uses an image_moving tag, which is deprecated
error config: unit Fugitive uses an image_defensive tag, which is deprecated
error config: unit Fugitive uses an image_defensive tag, which is deprecated
error config: unit Henchman uses an image_defensive_long tag, which is deprecated
error config: unit Henchman uses an image_defensive tag, which is deprecated
error config: unit Highwayman uses an image_defensive tag, which is deprecated
error config: unit Human Ranger uses an image_defensive_long tag, which is deprecated
error config: unit Human Ranger uses an image_defensive tag, which is deprecated
error config: unit Huntsman uses an image_defensive tag, which is deprecated
error config: unit Rogue Mage uses an image_defensive tag, which is deprecated
error config: unit Shadow Mage uses an image_defensive tag, which is deprecated
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Thanks for clearing that up Skeleton Crew, I didn't notice your post before, sorry about that. And thanks for pointing those bugs out Torangan. I'll get on it :-)

SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

Taurus wrote:Thanks for clearing that up Skeleton Crew, I didn't notice your post before, sorry about that.
No problem.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Version 1.18.1 is out. A few bugs have been fixed, such as the ones described above. Also, at truffant's reminder, you get the exact ammount of gold back for the final battle that was stolen from you eariler on - well divided by three of course. There are also a few new portraits, and thanks goes again to Xandar86 for her awesome work. They do need coloring however so if anyone is feeling up to it, check this thread:

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 2&start=15

truffant

Post by truffant »

This explains alot! Luckily I had enough gold to help the others out :D

How do you plan to do the branching line? I could imagine for myself that a fast curve back to the main line would be most interesting, perhaps more so than a absolute separation.

Of course then you'd have to decide whether you'd allow the undead Tallin "gone good again" either to regain his mortality or to stay an undead lich.

If you bring the undead-branch back in the mainline, have you decided yet whether to allow to recall the loyal undead units? I mean undead and lawful units side by side would wreck havoc against their foes (perhaps to much so?).

respectfully yours

truffant
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

I already have a rough outline of what I plan to do with the undead branch.

***Mild spoilers start here***

I feel, that as it stands right now, Tallin is too far gone to rejoin his friends - well, the ones that he didn't kill anyway. And even if he wanted to, do you really think they would accept him back after all that has happended? Anyhow, the main focus of this campaign however is about the 'Rebirth of the North'. In other words, the main 'bad guy' is the orc Rakshas. The lich Malifor was kind of like a side trip - someone who needed to be removed in order to defeat the orcs.

Anyhow, to make a long story short, I plan on roughly paralling the main storyline. The scenarios will be compleatley different, but there will still be many of the same characters. Some characters and items who have only played a minor role in the main branch will have more of a major role in this branch and visa versa. In addition, you will be able to see the characters who have a major role in both branches in a new and different light. Now, how this branch will end... well you will just have to wait and find out won't you :-P

***End of Spoilers***

truffant

Post by truffant »

More speculations:

You could then, to make the two branches more interlocked, change at least one scenario of the mainline in the following way:

The published ending of the undead branch is this defending scenario, where at the end, the good side, some white and some red mage break in the chamber on the top right side of the map while tallin defends from the forces coming from the bottom of the map. So you could take this chamber and put it in a map in the mainline scenario which has the obvious goal for the good side, to break into that chamber and slay the foe.

So the player would be able to play both sides and see the difference because he'd recognize the map.

And i won't ask you on the ending :-) But if the good tallin is already opposing and killing Rakshas, you couldn't let the bad tallin do the same?

It depends whether you see the two branches as alternatives of one storyline or as parallel running and partially intersecting ones... (i'd personnally prefer the second option)
JimBass

Get The Gold gives no Gold!

Post by JimBass »

Hello again!

I just finished Get The Gold, and none of my stolen 10,000 was returned. That was in 1.2. I updated my SVN version, ran the last round of Get The Gold again in 1.3, and again had no gold returned. That makes Showdown rather difficult. Did the fix for the stolen gold get posted?

Thanks and Peace,
Jim
Deliverator

Post by Deliverator »

Hi. I just played through the campaign, and loved it, but when I wound up in Showdown wound up with no gold, as others are noting.

However, what I really wanted to talk about was a problem I had with the Drakes in "The Eastern Flank." What are you supposed to do with them? Their defenses suck so much that there's just no way they can hold the mountains against the orcs. What I wound up doing is sending them all the way around east and south and hit the enemy fortress from the south, but it took forever for the non-flying Clashers to catch up since they are slow in the forest. I hate to say it, but as a faction Drakes seem really unplayable without the Saurians on board to make up for their (severe) weaknesses.

Oh, and I beat "Get the Gold" on turn 3. Is it supposed to be that easy?

Thanks.

Matt
"The Deliverator belongs to an elite order, a hallowed subcategory." - Neal Stephenson, "Snow Crash"