[Historical] Campaign-Rebirth of the North

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Basically you'll have to accept the fact that a lot of your units will die. But I have never had a problem beating it. It's the next few scenarios that you have to worry about ;)
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Ok, version 0.6.1 is up on the server. It includes all new Portraits and, (thanks to claus) a few major bug fixes. Once again, let me know how everyone likes it.

unsung

Post by unsung »

taurus ive recruited a total of over 100 men before turn 30.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
unsung

Post by unsung »

fmunoz wrote:You have to use your zero upkeep peasants to seize the villages unitll you orcs swamped..
and if a warlord moves out of his keep .. place there a peasant or two or three... so you deny him recruit...
Soon you will have them sorrounded, nibbling their health away
tried this. i even know how to lure trools to them. I SHOULD have beatebn it but for some reason I cant.
saskganesh

Post by saskganesh »

I can beat level one, by judicious swarming, taking villages and using my daylight combat advantage. I concentrate on the blue warlord first. he doesn't stay in his castle much and so can be isoalted and swarmed.

i also set the trolls free (go the the dwarven gates). they are very useful distraction to the eastern orcs while you concentrate on the western one.

level two hoops me. twice i got the dwarf reinforcements, and they saved the day, but i ran out of time. the other times, there was no dwarves and I was overrun by trolls from 3 directions. yuk.

like the idea of starting with only peasants. do keep it.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

unsung wrote: tried this. i even know how to lure trools to them. I SHOULD have beatebn it but for some reason I cant.
A few hints that worked for me and might lead you in the right direction: When you compleatley surround a unit, he usually won't attack any of your men (unless they maby have 1 hp left). So when it is nighttime, and there is an isolated unit or two, I usually surround him and throw my pichforks at him.

Be supper aggressive during the day, and take cover at night. In genneral during the day I give them evertying I got no matter what dammage I take myself. At night I always try to be in the woods or on castles and not attack at all.

At all costs, never let one peasant go out on his own, especially when there is eneimes around. The only exception I find is if you are grabbing villages.

Remember, this is a desperate endevour and a lot of your firends will die. Don't throw them away whimsically but be prepared to take lots of looses and make sacrifices.

And another personal stratagy, I usaually focus all of my men on the blue leader first. The only time I take into consiteration the green guyz is when they right next to my castle. Then I use the peasants that are freshley recruited nibble them down and Tallin to take them out. Every time I have played this I always end up with Tallin at least at level 1.
saskganesh wrote: level two hoops me. twice i got the dwarf reinforcements, and they saved the day, but i ran out of time. the other times, there was no dwarves and I was overrun by trolls from 3 directions. yuk.

Here is my stratagy for this level. First of all I send two groups out, one north and one south. Move quickly otherwise the troll will gather up their villages and be able to send an endless stream of trolls against you. I don't strike out east at all untill I have those trolls cleaned up. Only after that and when I have the villages do I strike out east.

Remember there are two hidden passages that will take you right into skeleton territory. This lets you grab a lot of their villages and strike them from behind. Thus, even if you can't make it through the main road, you will soon have the village advantage and be able to send out a constant stream of fresh units against whoever is left out there.

Also, if the skeketons attack you before you are finished with the trolls then don't panic. Just hold out for as long as you can before you are releived by the friendley trolls ;) (or not so friendly as you will soon discover). If you can't hold out then what I would do is move north or south to one of the troll's keeps. If the orange trolls start attacking you before you have finished off the north and south trolls then it can be a bit sticky. But then again, all is not lost, the dwarves are on their way.
like the idea of starting with only peasants. do keep it.

But all in all folks, do you think it is a bit to hard, even on easy?

fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Overall expeerience, nice. But....I found the levels too large and sometimes boring. Commanding 100 dwarves and waiting 200 undeads to move makes turn looooong.
unsung

Post by unsung »

I beat level one just before I read your strategys (67 men killed).
I am on level two and I am completely owning it. (ive killed all undead ant nearly 100 trolls. great campaign taurus.
oh, before I forget can you please fix elf war II revenge?
I love that campaign even more than m and want to finish it.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

fmunoz wrote:Overall expeerience, nice. But....I found the levels too large and sometimes boring. Commanding 100 dwarves and waiting 200 undeads to move makes turn looooong.
Ok, I know what you mean. When I get this campaign finished then i'll go back and try to speed them up a bit. Oh, and btw, which scenario are you talking about? The only scenario that may be like that is "The Persuit" and even then they are all on defender mode so they shouldn't take long to move at all!
unsung wrote: I beat level one just before I read your strategys (67 men killed).
I am on level two and I am completely owning it. (ive killed all undead ant nearly 100 trolls. great campaign taurus.
oh, before I forget can you please fix elf war II revenge?
I love that campaign even more than m and want to finish it.
Thanks for the encouragment. Sometimes campaign writhers get board of their scenario and have a hard time finishing it. It's feedback like this that keeps you going. But I don't know what you mean when you say elf war II revenge. I didn't write that one and as far as I know it doesen't even exisit (although I am probobally wrong).

Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Version 0.6.2 is being upload onto the server as I type. All that I basically did was give "Old Friend" a smaller map.

Also, I am taking my computer in for upgrades so I may not be able to work on this campaign for a few weeks.

Mortsubite

New Map for "Old Friend"

Post by Mortsubite »

I have been playing the new version all day, and am of the opinion that the new smaller map for "Old Friend" has made the scenario impossible. The problem is that your ability to recruit is restricted by the narrow tunnel you must use to get your units out to the battlefield. The orcs have three keeps, all in the open, with no movement restrictions. Their troops are upon you by turn 2. At best, you can have 6 units out of the tunnel to face over 40, and the situation only gets worse with each turn. The "pocket" you can control steadily shrinks so that by turn 12 or 13 you are trapped in the tunnel. You cannot recruit because you cannot move your units out of position to attack. The bigger map was better- please bring it back!!
"Imagine waking up in the morning and realizing that's as good as you're going to feel all day" - Dean Martin on sobriety.
saskganesh

Post by saskganesh »

Taurus wrote:
saskganesh wrote: level two hoops me. twice i got the dwarf reinforcements, and they saved the day, but i ran out of time. the other times, there was no dwarves and I was overrun by trolls from 3 directions. yuk.

Here is my stratagy for this level. First of all I send two groups out, one north and one south. Move quickly otherwise the troll will gather up their villages and be able to send an endless stream of trolls against you. I don't strike out east at all untill I have those trolls cleaned up. Only after that and when I have the villages do I strike out east.

<snip>
yep. thats works. doing a quick rush north and south, using all available builds, and ignoring those two villages to the west until a bit later, that leads to success.

if i had no quick units, i don't think i would have made it.

next level is quick and easy. a nice break. a good chance to level your peasant leader (if he isn't already). one castle full of builds was all that i needed. i figured i should save my cash (rightly) for the next round.

but on that round, the subsequent one: i'm stuck again. i built as many dwarves as I could, sprinking in some judicious recalls of archers and swordsmen. i divided these into two forces, one north, one east. the eastern one had the firemage and the dwarf lord. my goal there was to try blast my way through, get the villages i the eastern cave and then kill the leader. the north force was slower, but playing agressively, i managed to get to the leader, and kill him before he spawned too much.

but, undead hordes keep coming. neither group was able to make any progress past their first objectives. in particular, the eastern force had some bad luck and took too many hits getting to the villages. they were worn down, and too many units were destroyed.

the northern force managed to hang on, and started to level up. once i had some steelclads, the undead were not a problem. but then the situation in the east was rather dire, and i was down to 3 units. the game ended aorund turn 27, with the death of the dwarf lord.

wishing i had a few healers. or one or two more villages in the approaches to those two keep's. would have made all the difference.

general coment: i like having big armies to move around for a change. but its a lot of work when you have to restart. im playing on medium btw.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Re: New Map for "Old Friend"

Post by Taurus »

Mortsubite wrote:I have been playing the new version all day, and am of the opinion that the new smaller map for "Old Friend" has made the scenario impossible. The problem is that your ability to recruit is restricted by the narrow tunnel you must use to get your units out to the battlefield. The orcs have three keeps, all in the open, with no movement restrictions. Their troops are upon you by turn 2. At best, you can have 6 units out of the tunnel to face over 40, and the situation only gets worse with each turn. The "pocket" you can control steadily shrinks so that by turn 12 or 13 you are trapped in the tunnel. You cannot recruit because you cannot move your units out of position to attack. The bigger map was better- please bring it back!!
Ok, sorry about that. As I said earlyer my computer is in for upgrades so currently I am using an old junker that barally runs internet explorer to reply this message. Hence, I haven't even had a chance to play it myself. But when my other computer gets back i'll check that out asap. I don't think i'll bring the old one out again though because it was just way to big, and with your endless funds and the endless orcs the turns just take way to long. I got boared at about turn 22 when I had about 200 units on the feild and about twice as many orcs. So anyhow, i'll check it out and probobally change it around. Thanks for pointing this out.

Oh and by the way, has anyone gotten past this scenario? One of the reasons why it is "impossible" is because it is supposed to be. Just tough it out till the end of the turns and you'll see.
saskganesh wrote:but on that round, the subsequent one: i'm stuck again. i built as many dwarves as I could, sprinking in some judicious recalls of archers and swordsmen. i divided these into two forces, one north, one east. the eastern one had the firemage and the dwarf lord. my goal there was to try blast my way through, get the villages i the eastern cave and then kill the leader. the north force was slower, but playing agressively, i managed to get to the leader, and kill him before he spawned too much.

but, undead hordes keep coming. neither group was able to make any progress past their first objectives. in particular, the eastern force had some bad luck and took too many hits getting to the villages. they were worn down, and too many units were destroyed.

the northern force managed to hang on, and started to level up. once i had some steelclads, the undead were not a problem. but then the situation in the east was rather dire, and i was down to 3 units. the game ended aorund turn 27, with the death of the dwarf lord.
I also played this scenario on medium and here's how I handled it: First of all, since you just popped up out of nowhere for those skeletons, you have a few turns while the undead scatter to grab all the villages. I use this oppertunity to rush the guys just north of my starting possition. Usually a few keepfulls of units are enough for this, along with Hamel and Camerin. Then I recruit another couple keepfulls of dwarves and send him east. By the time they are off I have the guy directly north of me cleared then I move tallin up there. I dont know how much gold you had to start off with but I had around 1500 so I was able to keep recruting from the newly captured keep. I again split my forces in two, one going north and the other going east again. While I was at it I sent some units from the new eastern force down south to support that original foce. From then on, it is simply a matter of time before you have the mines clear. One thing I learned from this scenario though was that in these conditions thugs make exelent shock troupers, but can be killed really easily. So, I recruited a mix of thugs and dwarves, the thugs (later bandits) to strike hard and the dwarves to hold ground and soak up the dammage. I know, it's hard without healers but the next scenario takes care of that problem.

But anyhow, I was thinking of downsizing this scenario a bit, what do you all think?

Oh, and while we are at it, does anybody have any coments on the new portraits or music? I don't think the music on "Old Friend" really goes, but that's just me. What do you all think?

Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Finally, I got my computer back and am just now uploading verison 0.7. There is a new scenario, a few bug fixes, and some new portraits. One of the major changes was to take out the “Impossible� level and but a “Newbe� one istead. As usual, let me know if anyone has any comments, questions or runs into any problems.

Just one thing out of curosity, has anyone passed “Old Friend� yet?

szopen

Post by szopen »

Taurus, out of curiosity: who draw the portraits? Are they GPLed?