[Historical] Campaign-Rebirth of the North

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Hello Everyone

About the ending in 'Protecting the Master' there is a scenario already like that in the mainline - it's called 'The Persuit'. In that scenario there are multiple ways to get to Rakshas, but one way for you to do it is break throug the back door. The map isn't exactaly the same, but I intended the map on the undead branch to be a 'zoomed up' version of the one in 'The Persuit'.

And about how exactally the storyline runs, I couldn't say without giving too much away :-)

About the gold restored in 'Showdown', first of all, remember it is divided by three equil parts and given to the three sides you control (what race they are depends on how you do eariler on in the campaign). Seccondly, be sure that you are playing the latest version of Northern Rebirth, since the change to getting your gold back is pretty recent. If that still doesen't work, i'll have to take a look at it when I get back (I am going away for a couple of weeks so I won't be around).

About the drakes, I addressed the problem before, and it's not because they are week, it's because they are level 1 and most of the orcs you are facing are level 2, and most of Tallin's units are probobalaly level 2 - 3. So you have to baby them a bit. What I do, is I use their mobility. Retreat at night, attack like crazy during the day. And I usually send Elennia over to help them out with healing/poison and whatnot.They are an optional side of the campaign, and even if they all get killed, you can still go on (poor drakes). They are just there to help you out :-)
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
JimBass

Post by JimBass »

Hey Taurus, thanks again for a fun storyline!

The definitely is something wrong with the gold in Get The Gold! I updated the SVN version this afternoon to the most recent, played Get the Gold from the beginning of the scenario, and got nothing back. Tallin started with about 1200, and the Drakes and Elves started around 800 and 600 respectively. I finished in turn 5, and starting Showdown Tallin had 1150, the Drakes maybe 900 and the Elves 600. I had more than 12000 or 13000 when it given to the Dwarves for safeguarding.

I also agree with you about the Drakes, they are an extremely powerful race. I just recruited a ton of them, and since the mobility rocks, I would phase in waves, so none of them held a position on the front lines more than a round in a row. I didn't lose any of them, and when they level they get extremely powerful. Most of the level 2 drakes already have close to 70 hp, great physical and ranged attacks. I don't know what more you could want, save a drake cleric of some sort!

Peace,
JimBass
squasher

Post by squasher »

Hi Taurus,

Nice campain you've made!
I have a few comments though. (I played it at 'medium' - the one but hardest lvl)

1) quite a few huge lvls with a lot of units involved. Whether you like that or not is a matter of taste, a matter of fact is that it is not running very well on 'older' systems. My PIII 1000 with 512 MB ram (debian) has huge problems calculating all the AI movements in levels such as 'showdown', 'the eastern flank' and the lvl you first meet Rakshas.
I'm aware it's part of the design, but it kinda sucks when you have to wait 15 minutes to 'do' the next round.

*** SPOILER ALERT ***
2) 'Old Friend' scenario too easy because the AI hardly attacks. I recalled some dwarvish lords and they hold my keep without ever having to be replaced by full health ones.

3) I decided to let Alfred (the wraith - spectre by the time it reached it) pick the Rod of Justice. This creates an extremely powerful unit - maybe too strong - at least it was invaluable for my strategy - or lack thereof.
- in 'Old Friend' (iirc) i recalled a few dwarvish lords to hold my keep (that was sufficient as the AI wasnt very keen on attacking) and sent alfred with his rod out in the battlefield. He killed the eastern leader quickly and he might have been able to take down the western leader as wel had i not sent him to Rakshas himself. Couldnt kill the guy because of the enormous hoardes of wolves that surrounded Alfred, but he got quite a few AMLA's
- Next lvl (settling disputes) my white mages/MoL's captured the one brother, Alfred did the second one on turn 4 or 5
- The Elvish Princess: Alfred elimitated the recruiting Orc on turn 2 and dealt with the remainings soon.
- 'trapped' (where you're surrounded by four troll leaders): The liches and a royal guard (iirc) killed the northwestern troll (he went out of his keep to get a village and i could block his way back. Is that stupid behaviour intentional?) Alfred eliminated the NE-troll and all (but a few) of his recruits
- The Eastern Flank: (I cant fight with drakes, so i recalled a lot of dwarves to hold the mountains) Alfred went south attacking the Orcs from the south - which distracted them slightly. He killed at least 15% of the hoarde on his own
- Get the Gold: I recruited quite some folks, but didnt need them. Alfred went straight down, together with the liches. On turn 2 or 3 he entered the keep - with aid of the liches and on turn 3 or 4, he killed the Orc leader. Too easy IMO.
- Showdown: Alfred ruled again, I just wished he has skirmish abilities :lol:
In the end, he had 67 hitpoints! That's just incredible for an unit that has drain attack and 50% resistance against all but one orcish attack (fire)

4) Drakes are very powerfull, but in Showdown HARD to keep alive. Not because their 'poor' resistances against Orcs, but because the AI was obviously focussing on Krash and his folks. Hardly any orc went south or east, they just rushed west and mostly north. Is that intentional?

===
Possible solutions:
1) no clue (except for the obvious 'use less units' or 'upgrade your system' ;))

2) in the 'old friend' scenario, make the AI attack more fiercy to make it harder to stand ground in your keep. I really doubt he attacked me more than 10 times, even though the whole 'entry' (in fact the whole map) was filled with enemy units.

3) Forbid undead to pickup the rod - unless it is intentional to give the player such an extremely powerfull unit. Which is fun by the way, to have a killing machine.

4) tune the AI slightly to pay attention to all four threats. As it was now, i could simply walk into the stronghold with my elvish army (and only then, the southern Orcish leaders retreated from drake-bashing).

hope this helps - and has not been brought up many times before!

Oh, by the way, in older versions of the campain, Tallin changed to a 'real' leader with leadership abilities. That sucked bigtime as i gave him the RoJ and had him lvl 3+a few AMLA's. So i think this chance is for obvious reasons. Nevertheless i was slightly disappointed to see he remained the same, even after Hamel's training sessions.
If possible i would suggest to change him to a human leader with the appropriate lvl and experience, and eventually the RoJ. This could eventually be pointed at in the dialogue Hamel and Tallin have before 'the pursuit'
phpBB error: signature not found
Cohen the Ballbearing

cannot Recruit Trolls in Elvis (sic) Princess

Post by Cohen the Ballbearing »

In the "Northern Rebirth Walkthrough" in the Strategies Forum, Toms writes, regarding "Elvis Princess" [sic] scenario:
"Oh, I forgot: You get the liches as starting units. And you can recruit troll whelps, young ogres and gryphons then."
I wonder if that changed in a more recent version, or if there is an error, as I can't recruit Ogres or Trolls in that scenario. I can recruit Gryphons, FYI.

Any idea what's going on? TIA!
Is there a Wesnoth 12-Step Program?
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Hello Everyone, I am back. Just went to India for a couple weeks and man, it was one heck of a trip!
JimBass wrote: The definitely is something wrong with the gold in Get The Gold! I updated the SVN version this afternoon to the most recent, played Get the Gold from the beginning of the scenario, and got nothing back. Tallin started with about 1200, and the Drakes and Elves started around 800 and 600 respectively. I finished in turn 5, and starting Showdown Tallin had 1150, the Drakes maybe 900 and the Elves 600. I had more than 12000 or 13000 when it given to the Dwarves for safeguarding.
You still playing with that 1.3 version, or the latest development version? Let me stress again, if you have any problems with this campaign using the SVN version then there is nothing I can do. I would recomend swiching over to the latest development version if you keep running into problems.

That being said, i'll check it one more time. Thanks for the feedback otherwise and I am glad you enjoy the campaign :-)
squasher wrote:1) quite a few huge lvls with a lot of units involved. Whether you like that or not is a matter of taste, a matter of fact is that it is not running very well on 'older' systems. My PIII 1000 with 512 MB ram (debian) has huge problems calculating all the AI movements in levels such as 'showdown', 'the eastern flank' and the lvl you first meet Rakshas.
I'm aware it's part of the design, but it kinda sucks when you have to wait 15 minutes to 'do' the next round.
Hello squasher, and glad to hear that you like the campaign too.

1) The issue of speed has been brought up before, and the only conclusion that it has come to is that this campaign simply is big and takes time. There is really nothing much I can do without changing the whole epic feel to the entire campaign. There is hope however, as the devs are trying to make the game faster in the latest development versions. So as later and later versions come out, I believe that it should gradually get faster.

2) About Old Friend, you came up with a very good suggestion - making the AI attack more fericely. I will code that into the next release. That being said, this scenario was kind of designed so that you can take the easy way out (sit in your keep in do nothing) or sally forth and make an attempt to defeat Rakshas once and for all. I myself usually do the latter as it gives me a good chance to level up some new units.

3) I aggree with you. As it is, in the latest version I tonned down the rod of justice a bit, but the wrath/rod of justice combination is still too powerfull. Besides, it adds a nice touch to the plot on the undead side, as Alfred playes more of a major role in that part. But that will come later.

4) You know, the orcs attacking the drakes is not intentional, but now that I think of it maby I should make it. After all, the orcs are surrounded, and the smart thing to do would be to focus on one side at a time to break the encircirclment. Perhaps I should add something to the storyline to that effect...
Oh, by the way, in older versions of the campain, Tallin changed to a 'real' leader with leadership abilities. That sucked bigtime as i gave him the RoJ and had him lvl 3+a few AMLA's. So i think this chance is for obvious reasons. Nevertheless i was slightly disappointed to see he remained the same, even after Hamel's training sessions.
If possible i would suggest to change him to a human leader with the appropriate lvl and experience, and eventually the RoJ. This could eventually be pointed at in the dialogue Hamel and Tallin have before 'the pursuit'
You mean this time around he didn't change? That is strange, he should have changed into a sergent, leutinent, or general depending on his level. And if he had the rod of justice, he should keep it.. Intersting, I'll look into it.
In the "Northern Rebirth Walkthrough" in the Strategies Forum, Toms writes, regarding "Elvis Princess" [sic] scenario:

Quote:
"Oh, I forgot: You get the liches as starting units. And you can recruit troll whelps, young ogres and gryphons then."

I wonder if that changed in a more recent version, or if there is an error, as I can't recruit Ogres or Trolls in that scenario. I can recruit Gryphons, FYI.

Any idea what's going on? TIA!
Yeah, I changed that. If Krash, or Anita dies, then one of the liches will take over the side they are supposed to cover on Showdown. At that time you can recruit ogres and trolls. But otherwise, when you can recruit spearmen, thugs, and have a bunch of dwarves on your recall list, I thought it would be a bit too much :-S

JimBass

Post by JimBass »

You still playing with that 1.3 version, or the latest development version?
No, I can only play the 1.2 version, as every map breaks in the SVN version, as I detailed in an earlier post. I only mentioned that I updated and tried the SVN in case you had made the change in the Get the Gold scenario after the last development version came out. I think what probably happens now is you set a variable with the amount of stolen gold, but since that was corrected after I had played the scenario where the gold was stolen, it probably wasn't set, so it couldn't be recovered in my case. If I'm correct, you may want to set a default value for the stolen gold. I had to save-load the hell out of showdown, because all of my forces had around 1000 gold and that was it. I had no buffer against the hundreds of troops the orcs recruited.

For the Drakes I managed to get several of them up to level 3 in showdown, and they are MONSTERS. I had a level 3 unit of every type Drake, and they just decimated everything in front of them.

Peace,
JimBass
Ardenstone

The final show--- er, nothing.

Post by Ardenstone »

I've been enjoying playing through Northern Rebirth quite a bit. I finally straggled through to Showdown, and as soon as I hit "End Turn" on the first turn the game vanishes and I'm back at Windows. Anyone seen this before?

Windows 2000, Wesnoth 1.12, Northern Rebirth 1.18.1

The only strange thing I can think of is that Anita was quashed during Eastern Flank so I'm not sure if that's an issue. I can see one of the undead brothers in the moat by all the orcs, but I presume that's intentional. :)

Anyhow, I've thoroughly enjoyed the campaign. I'm pretty new at Wesnoth, but played through a couple of other campaigns and enjoyed all the big battles (which Showdown looks to be). Given how beat up my armies are from Eastern Flank on, I should probably redo all those levels anyways so perhaps that will fix it(?).
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Hey Jimbass

The thing is that the code where you recover the gold takes place in the beggining of Showdown, so Get the Gold shouldn't make a difference. However, my computer is in the shop for repairs right now so there is nothing really that i can do right now unitll it gets back. When it does, i'll let you know.

And it's nice to see that someone knows how to play drakes :-)

Oh, and next time, perhaps instead of save/loading like crazy, just hack into the savegame file and take your fill on gold :-) it isn't that complicated at all actually.

Hey Ardenstone

Sounds like a nasty bug, and i'll be sure to check it out as soon as my comp gets back. I'll admit, the branch where Anita has died isn't as thorougly tested as the main one, so I bet is has a few bugs by now.

In the meantime, I seccond what you said - go back and play from eastern flank. You will find that the storyline is quite a bit more dynamic having Anita alive.

Once again, glad to hear you like the campaign :-)

Ardenstone

Post by Ardenstone »

Yeah, given the text around Anita, she seemed kind of a major character to lose, so as soon as I saw she was in trouble, I figured I would probably have to reply the level. However, since it looked at the time like I might actually be able to *beat* it for the first time, I pressed on. :)

Thanks again for putting this all together! I'll let you know if I still have issues post-reply, but that'll probably take me a while to get to so may be best to assume it worked unless I chime in.
Rothrorn

Post by Rothrorn »

There is a problem with the Pursuit scenario using version 1.3.1. The terrain used for the secret passage ways are not recognised. This means you dont get attacked by spiders, but nor are you able to access the holy water.
Rothrorn the Wise
squasher

Post by squasher »

Taurus wrote:1) The issue of speed has been brought up before, and the only conclusion that it has come to is that this campaign simply is big and takes time. There is really nothing much I can do without changing the whole epic feel to the entire campaign. There is hope however, as the devs are trying to make the game faster in the latest development versions. So as later and later versions come out, I believe that it should gradually get faster.
Yep, already feared that. As I wrote, i understand it's part of the design. Leaves me only two options: wait long or upgrade system :lol:
Taurus wrote:2) About Old Friend, you came up with a very good suggestion - making the AI attack more fericely. I will code that into the next release. That being said, this scenario was kind of designed so that you can take the easy way out (sit in your keep in do nothing) or sally forth and make an attempt to defeat Rakshas once and for all. I myself usually do the latter as it gives me a good chance to level up some new units.
Wouldnt it be possible to let the AI only attack more vicious if you decide to stay in your keep? I mean, fighting it outside will already be rather hard I imagine, and with a reckless attacking AI, it will become even harder.
My suggestion would be to let it attack much harder only if you go out with only a few units - but then, i have no clue if it is possible to code that in WML
Taurus wrote:3) I aggree with you. As it is, in the latest version I tonned down the rod of justice a bit, but the wrath/rod of justice combination is still too powerfull. Besides, it adds a nice touch to the plot on the undead side, as Alfred playes more of a major role in that part. But that will come later.
looking forward to that part ;)
The main problem with Alfred -as i see it - is his drain possibilities. The AI wont attack him ranged (even though the wraith has only +10% fire, so a few crossbowman should be able to take him down) and melee attack just doesnt make sense, 4x9 drain, 50% defence and 50% resistance means that any enemy unit that does < 4x10 damage will likely not even scratch it.
By the way, the scenario-files suggest that the RoJ also adds 2 damage to the melee attack of the wearer, that didnt happen to Alfred.
(on a sidenote, i love those invincible units :lol:, but for a campain (this campain at least) it's unbalanced)
Taurus wrote:4) You know, the orcs attacking the drakes is not intentional, but now that I think of it maby I should make it. After all, the orcs are surrounded, and the smart thing to do would be to focus on one side at a time to break the encircirclment. Perhaps I should add something to the storyline to that effect...
Letting them attack the drakes at all power, well ok, would suck for the drakes, but makes the campain slightly easier i think, as only Hamel, Turin and the liches must survive.
Launching a full attack on Hamel and his units ototh would simply crush them, as he fights the orcs on grassland (30% defence) or even from the water! Hamel learns Tallin about fighting and strategy, but he doesnt use his knowledge himself! ;)
I wouldnt mind if i could control his troups as well, i would simply stay in the fortress/mountains and be able to hold those orcs off. He himself fights his army almost literally to dead by not using his strategical advantage of defence.
Taurus wrote:
You mean this time around he didn't change? That is strange, he should have changed into a sergent, leutinent, or general depending on his level. And if he had the rod of justice, he should keep it.. Intersting, I'll look into it.
To clarify:
Long ago, Tallin changed from a lvl 3 royal guard with RoJ and a lot of experience to a sergeant iirc. I wrote he had a few AMLA's but i'm not sure AMLA's where in the code at that time. In that process he lost his RoJ.
I'm positive it's not worth looking at that 'problem' as that's from more than a year ago.
This time Tallin did not chance, so he remained a Halbardier (i misclicked, wanted him to be royal guard for the extra movement, rant rant :D) He didnt have the RoJ, so he didnt lose it ;)
phpBB error: signature not found
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

squasher wrote:
Wouldnt it be possible to let the AI only attack more vicious if you decide to stay in your keep? I mean, fighting it outside will already be rather hard I imagine, and with a reckless attacking AI, it will become even harder.
My suggestion would be to let it attack much harder only if you go out with only a few units - but then, i have no clue if it is possible to code that in WML
I am sure it is possible, but I don't think it will be necessary. If you do decide to stick your hand in the hornets nest you deserve to get stung. It is supposed to be a feirce fight after all. The only question is - can you handle it?
squasher wrote: looking forward to that part ;)
The main problem with Alfred -as i see it - is his drain possibilities. The AI wont attack him ranged (even though the wraith has only +10% fire, so a few crossbowman should be able to take him down) and melee attack just doesnt make sense, 4x9 drain, 50% defence and 50% resistance means that any enemy unit that does < 4x10 damage will likely not even scratch it.
By the way, the scenario-files suggest that the RoJ also adds 2 damage to the melee attack of the wearer, that didnt happen to Alfred.
(on a sidenote, i love those invincible units :lol:, but for a campain (this campain at least) it's unbalanced)
With the increaced AI aggressivness on Old Friend, they might be able to take him down, if the AI is willing to sacrifice enough units (God knows he has enough anyway). But anyhow, it's a moot point. As I said before, I am going to take your advaice and make Alfred unable to pick up the RoJ. With the extra melee strength, I can't quite remember weither or not I intended that. I know he increaces in speed and resiliance, and I think I threw the word 'strength' in just so that it would have a nice ring :-) Anyhow, I'll take a quick look into it once I get my computer back.

squasher wrote: Letting them attack the drakes at all power, well ok, would suck for the drakes, but makes the campain slightly easier i think, as only Hamel, Turin and the liches must survive.
Launching a full attack on Hamel and his units ototh would simply crush them, as he fights the orcs on grassland (30% defence) or even from the water! Hamel learns Tallin about fighting and strategy, but he doesnt use his knowledge himself! ;)
I wouldnt mind if i could control his troups as well, i would simply stay in the fortress/mountains and be able to hold those orcs off. He himself fights his army almost literally to dead by not using his strategical advantage of defence.
Hmmm, you do have a point there about Krash not 'having' to survive. Ok, you just may have convinced me, I should program the attacks to be more ballanced. The more feirce it is all round, the more funner it will be in the end.

As far as Hamel goes, you don't know how much trouble it was to get him to attack in the first place. I don't know why, but since he can only recruit dwarves, his default choice is to recruit nothing at all - so I basically had toi program his behavour to be like, 'shut your eyes tight and just charge them' to get him to even fight at all. Anyhow, thanks mostly to your imput, that scenario is up for a round of ballancing.

squasher wrote: To clarify:
Long ago, Tallin changed from a lvl 3 royal guard with RoJ and a lot of experience to a sergeant iirc. I wrote he had a few AMLA's but i'm not sure AMLA's where in the code at that time. In that process he lost his RoJ.
I'm positive it's not worth looking at that 'problem' as that's from more than a year ago.
This time Tallin did not chance, so he remained a Halbardier (i misclicked, wanted him to be royal guard for the extra movement, rant rant :D) He didnt have the RoJ, so he didnt lose it ;)
The code now should be that if he is a level 1 or still a peasant (hopefully not) then he gets changed into a sergent, a level 2 then a leutenet, and a level 3 a general. If he has the RoJ then he should still keep it. So to hear that he didn't change at all is supprising and something I should look into.\

Rothorn wrote:There is a problem with the Pursuit scenario using version 1.3.1. The terrain used for the secret passage ways are not recognised. This means you dont get attacked by spiders, but nor are you able to access the holy water.
Ugh! Bugs caused from the changing game engine. I am going to have to fix that, thanks for reporting it. It looks like till I get the latest out people will have to play on the 'stable' 1.2. version if they want to play it bug free.

Anyhow, I am on it, and will get it done as soon as I can. Thanks again :-)

Ardenstone

Showdown works w/Anita

Post by Ardenstone »

Just a quick follow up: I went back and replayed so that Anita survived, and the Showdown works like a charm. And by charm I mean all the enemies make my computer churn until the CPU heat alarm went off :).

Anyhow, just thought I'd let you know. It's more fun with her around anyways!

Thanks again for the great campaign.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Re: Showdown works w/Anita

Post by Taurus »

Ardenstone wrote:Just a quick follow up: I went back and replayed so that Anita survived, and the Showdown works like a charm. And by charm I mean all the enemies make my computer churn until the CPU heat alarm went off :).

Anyhow, just thought I'd let you know. It's more fun with her around anyways!

Thanks again for the great campaign.
LOL, yeah, I think I really gotta work hard on getting Northern Rebirth up and running for 1.3.1. I haven't heard it definatly from anywhere, but it is apparantly supposed to be slightly faster.

Anyhow, congragualtions on compleating the campaign. I am glad you had fun :-)

Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

1.18.2 is out and uploaded on the 1.2 server. It is mostly just a few brush ups and fine tuning. As was suggested by squasher, I made it so that Alfred can't pick up the Rod of Justice, as it makes the game unballanced. In Old Friend, the AI has goten more aggressive, and both Get the Gold and Showdown have been rebalanced as well. Thanks again for all your imput Squasher.

There is also a new french translation which has been compleated. For this I would I would especially like to thank Gdou :-)

Also Squasher - about Tallin not changing into a unit with leadership in Old Friend. I checked it out and there doesen't seem to be a problem on my end. Is anyone still having this problem? If you could send a savegame or a replay it would really help.

JimBass - I am also not experincing any diffuclty with getting the gold back in Showdown. Once again, if you are are having trouble then let me know, and if you have a savegame handy then send it by all means.

About the Liches showing up in the wrong place (if Anita has been killed) that issue has been fixed, and the game doesen't crash during the seccod turn either. Thanks again to Ardenstone for pointing this out.

Sadly, this will be the last release for the 1.2 brach of Wesnoth. For continued updates and maintnence, you are going to have to swich over to the latest development version - the 1.3 branch.