The Sceptre of Fire

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

turin wrote:Heh. You're not supposed to be able to kill the guy in the first scenario, so I didn't account for that possibility in the dialogue. But if people are doing so, I guess I'll have to. ;)
I've killed him twice, once on the easiest difficulty and once on the medium one (I think). Both times it clearly appeared as the preferred method to me, although obviously an optional one.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

All right then. I've never been able to do so, not that I've tried particularly hard since I know it slightly breaks the campaign, so I assumed it would rarely if ever happen. I'll whip up a fix sometime soon. Shouldn't be difficult.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
friar tuck

Post by friar tuck »

zookeeper wrote: Both times it clearly appeared as the preferred method to me, although obviously an optional one.
Same for me (on medium==challenging). I was completely unable to protect the caravans if they took the main path, so I sent them directly north over the river.

Then again, they needed no protection at all because they were completely shielded by the loyalists and the elves didn't even think about crossing the river.

Then the greatest challenge turned out to be keeping Haldric alive because he was inevitably slaughtered by the elven reinforcement. So I sent all my dwarves directly south along the very eastern mountain range hoping to get the elves to return home and maybe follow me into the mountains.

But it turned out the dwarves arrived exactly when the elves were weakest (after the second day), but before the reinforcements arrived. What was more, the captain was so nice to step out of his keep to try and kill a dwarf who had stolen a village, so I could occupy his keep and he wasn't even able to recruit his reinforcements when they arrived. It was very fast from there on...

Maybe to prevent this part of the reinforcements could arrive in person and not in the form of extra gold?
Last edited by friar tuck on June 29th, 2007, 3:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
friar tuck

Re: Bugs under version 1.3.3 as mainline

Post by friar tuck »

zookeeper wrote:
multilis wrote:1) Dropping second coal off in gathering materials does nothing, guessing it needs a first_time_only=no in the event.
Yep. This has been fixed since.
I'm playing the version included in the 1.3.3 release, and it's not fixed there.

(oops, just saw that the subject says that much :oops: )

Can I fix it myself?

Or should I do the "allow win by killing all leaders" thing?

btw, is it intended that green and blue are allies but pink is at war with both others?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

friar tuck wrote:
zookeeper wrote: Yep. This has been fixed since.
I'm playing the version included in the 1.3.3 release, and it's not fixed there.

(oops, just saw that the subject says that much :oops: )

Can I fix it myself?
Sure, just apply this change to the scenario. Then replay the scenario again from the very beginning. Or just simply :n to the next scenario after you should have won.
RedLTeut

After closing the gates

Post by RedLTeut »

After closing the gates in the 2nd scenario, there was one elf left outside of the caves, who also had to be killed even if he wasnt inside the caves as the objective suggested.
friar tuck

Post by friar tuck »

zookeeper wrote: Sure, just apply this change to the scenario. Then replay the scenario again from the very beginning.
Great! That worked like a charm, thanks.

One more question: when the last material was delivered, the scenario ended, but without early finish bonus. So, to avoid a very small purse for the next scenario, I found myself killing the remaining enemy leaders and waiting until the turn limit ran out.

Maybe to avoid the rather lame waiting part, one could give an early finish bonus after all enemies have been killed?
friar tuck

Re: After closing the gates

Post by friar tuck »

RedLTeut wrote:After closing the gates in the 2nd scenario, there was one elf left outside of the caves, who also had to be killed even if he wasnt inside the caves as the objective suggested.
Same here. It seems there is at least one outside tile (for me it was nw of the main entrance, right near the wall) which is counted as inside.

Furthermore, I was astonished that the closing of the doors turned out to mean that the very first row of tiles of the cave (which I had considered to be clearly inside) is replaced by cave wall, crushing my complete front line including some freshly levelled units in the process.

I found it a bit unrealistic that the guard guy would say "wait, the doors will soon close" and my complete front line would take him so completely literal that they would stand still while the doors are coming down to smash them to goo instead of just stepping back into the cave.

Maybe there should be some kind of clear warning to vacate the cave entrance before activating the doors.
friar tuck

Mission objectives in scenario 5

Post by friar tuck »

In scenario "Hills_of_the_Shorbear_Clan" when I fulfill the mission objectives I get no early finish bonus, which was especially bitter because I recruited a lot and had only just come out of negative gold score at turn 12 when I finished. otoh there is a huge number of villages on the map, so the bonus would have been a respectable 34 per turn...

I decided to go for the elf leader and as I killed him, the scenario ended (though I hadn't met the objectives) WITH a bonus.

Maybe this should be mentioned in the mission objectives.

btw, did I say thank you for this great campaign? I'm having great fun playing it. I love playing dwarves though I don't like thunderers and long for some kind of spell caster with a better ranged attack...
Quaeckernaet

Re: Mission objectives in scenario 4

Post by Quaeckernaet »

I suppose the major bugs in this campaign have been taken care of. As a novice (I "discovered" Wesnoth only ten days ago) I passed the first scenarios without hiccups and they were good fun.

Gathering Materials is giving me some headaches however. The instruction isn't quite clear. I understand the idea behind it, which is that you let the trolls and the hoi polloi slug it out and only confront them when this is necessary with an eye to obtaining the minerals. That isn't too hard a mission, seeing that I have a Dwarvish Lord and some Steelclads and Baglur has Stalwart status. I am also aware that - if possible - I should postpone the final delivery to the final turn in order to rack up XP for my avatars.

But how many loads can a Dwarve Runesmith carry? I assume only one. And where exactly should the Runesmiths deliver the gold and coal? I assume at the wooden chest near the mine's entrance.

I am right? It wouldn't be a spoiler if someone gave me the answers, would it?

This being my first post, I have to say Wesnoth is a great game and this is a great forum, populated by the sort of dedicated and occasionally brilliant idiots who are the salt of this virtual earth. :P
Nothing to see here, move along
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Oo. OK, the instructions are actually this - if they're unclear I'll have to fix them - recruit Dwarvish Miners, a special kind of unit that's only used in this scenario, and use them to get the materials. Each miner can only carry one load at a time, they pick up loads by moving onto the heaps of gold and coal, and deliver them by moving onto the chest in your home cavern.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Quaeckernaet

Post by Quaeckernaet »

turin wrote:Oo. OK, the instructions are actually this - if they're unclear I'll have to fix them - recruit Dwarvish Miners, a special kind of unit that's only used in this scenario, and use them to get the materials. Each miner can only carry one load at a time, they pick up loads by moving onto the heaps of gold and coal, and deliver them by moving onto the chest in your home cavern.
I see. I am an idiot too, and not of the brilliant kind. :oops:

Great campaign so far, brother Turin. :bows:
IB

Post by IB »

I seem to be having trouble with Towards the Caves. I really wish there were signposts to move to so I can tell where exactly I should move my leaders as trying every single hex is getting on my nerves.

EDIT: Oh, using the version that came with 1.3.3.
Quaeckernaet

Post by Quaeckernaet »

I just finished the Gathering Mterials scenario. My third miner picked up the third load on turn 19. So I thought I had another eleven turns left to rack up my XP because those trolls are ideal canon fodder. But no, it was game over. Turin, you cheated me out of at least two Lords, two Steelclads and a Runemaster!

Just joking.

Now, once more into the breach! :twisted:
friar tuck

Post by friar tuck »

IB wrote:I seem to be having trouble with Towards the Caves. I really wish there were signposts to move to so I can tell where exactly I should move my leaders as trying every single hex is getting on my nerves.

EDIT: Oh, using the version that came with 1.3.3.
This refers to a bug mentioned by mutilis. Signposts won't help here because the triggers are one too far south. For the northeasterly cave this would mean Rugnur has to step on the cave wall while Alanin can't reach the goal at all because it's off the map.

I've changed the coordinates in the WML in my copy and am going to replay the scenario. If it works, I'll post the change.