[Historical] Orcish campaign

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

How is this campaign ?

Too hard, I'm stuck!
No votes
Hard, but challenging
75%
Just as it ought
25%
Too easy, I already have 20 lvl3 trolls !
No votes

Total votes: 4

quartex
Inactive Developer

Campaign Intro and Orcish Ruler Formatting Problems

Post by quartex »

Oh benj, one last thing I forgot to mention. In your intro movie to your campaign, the formatting of your text is really off, so that each line is only a few words long, and the text runs off the screen. I can only read 4-5 words of the text under each image, probably just a coding error. Likewise in the descriptions of some of your new units, like the orcish ruler Kapoue, the unit description is formatted bad. Here's what the text looks like in 0.6.99.5-CVS:

The Orcish Ruler is the chief of the tribe.
He is the one that makes important decisions and leads his
people to
the battle. He carry a bow to defend himself, but he as
much more
skills with his axe, which makes hime a powerful fighter.
His natural
commanding skills makes him very precious in the battle.
If the Ruler is lost, so is the battle.

(also note that in "but he as much more skills with his axe, which makes hime a" as should be has, and him should be him. We all make typos, but people notice.)

Keep up the good work!
benj

Re: Campaign Intro and Orcish Ruler Formatting Problems

Post by benj »

Many thanks quartex for your comments and corrections. As you noticed, English is not my native language and I really need someone to review dialogs. Your comments are very helpful and I will include them in next version of the campaign. :D
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Your Welcome. It's a great campaign; but often we all need someone to proofread our writing. I make typos and errors all the time, and I don't have the excuse of learing english as a second language.
Eponymous-Archon

text emendations

Post by Eponymous-Archon »

I'm working through all of the unit descriptions, but have skipped e and o in the first run through. (Lots of Elves and Orcs)

Tonight I'll get to this one, ok?
The Eponymous Archon
Insinuator

Big problems

Post by Insinuator »

I've been playing version 0.4.0 on Windows 98SE and on the second level, there are no priest doctors! I have played earlier versions and the three priest doctors are on the castle, surrounded by a few elvish units and lots of allies. Now, all there is the orcish slayer. The elves are not even present.

I tried moving my orcish ruler to the end of the map by himself, but nothing happened. I eventually won the scenario by defeating the elves, which, by the way, I had another bug with. When I attacked him, one of my guys says something sad, and then nothing happened. In the previous version, third-level guys were supposed to spring out of the ground. Perhaps this is just something that has been changed.

The next scenario, after continuing without priest doctors, I played it out to the finish, but when the 20 turns were up, it said I was defeated! I even took out one of the lichs, but still nothing. I suppose I could try to take them both out, but I was strung out as it was.

Also, the orcish ruler has no attack graphic. When he attacks, he just dissapears.

It is possible that I improperly placed some files, so I will look through again, and if anything shows up, I will recant my words.
benj

Re: Big problems

Post by benj »

Insinuator wrote:I've been playing version 0.4.0 on Windows 98SE and on the second level, there are no priest doctors! I have played earlier versions and the three priest doctors are on the castle, surrounded by a few elvish units and lots of allies. Now, all there is the orcish slayer. The elves are not even present.
I guess you did not copy the utils.cfg in the right place. It should be in whatever-wesnoth-is/data/scenarios/Son_Of_The_Black_Eye/utils.cfg

In this version, I used macros intensively, this is why units do not appear anymore if utils.cfg is not present.

Insinuator wrote:I tried moving my orcish ruler to the end of the map by himself, but nothing happened. I eventually won the scenario by defeating the elves, which, by the way, I had another bug with. When I attacked him, one of my guys says something sad, and then nothing happened. In the previous version, third-level guys were supposed to spring out of the ground. Perhaps this is just something that has been changed.
Again, the missing utils.cfg should be the cause.
Insinuator wrote:The next scenario, after continuing without priest doctors, I played it out to the finish, but when the 20 turns were up, it said I was defeated! I even took out one of the lichs, but still nothing. I suppose I could try to take them both out, but I was strung out as it was.
This time this is a bug. :oops: I forgot to update victory conditions. Now you have to defeat both leaders. Also, I balanced the scenario a lot. A new version is to be released this week.
Insinuator wrote:Also, the orcish ruler has no attack graphic. When he attacks, he just dissapears.

It is possible that I improperly placed some files, so I will look through again, and if anything shows up, I will recant my words.

Hmmm, this one I don't know. There is no attack graphic for the Orcish Ruler yet, but he should not disapear. I'll have a look at this.

Many thanks for your report, I'm happy that people try this campaign and tell me how they find it. :D
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I think he disappears because you have a frame listed but there is no graphic to refer to. This is the most logical rason.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Circon

Post by Circon »

The new scenario "To the harbor of Tirigaz" is far too hard IMHO. I'm playing it on Medium, and I'm wondering just how to beat it. The two main problems are
A: My large lack of ranged attack, in the face of Dark Adepts and Boneshooters
B: The Vampire Bats that fly in and zap the priest doctors.

The first time, I lost on turn 8. I then poked through the file, since I thought I must have missed something. There was a event for a unit to drink holy water, doing nothing.
The only thing I can possibly think of is to recruit Troll Whelps, who do Impact damage. This has failed since they have a large %to be hit and not much damage.
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Hmmm... interesting. I am unfamiliar with how harder difficulty levels are done, but, from your post, I assume it gives the computer the ability to build better units. On easy, however, I was able to beat it by practice. I first spent my energys on the northern lich. With troll whelps and a heavy hitting orcish warlord, I was able to break him. I held my own in the south, but I was not paying them much heed.
The second time I played, I used less units but better ones up north, and then sent a few good ones and tons of 1st level units. Never send a unit into the swamps, and just try to hold the villages. With some wolf-riders, you can take and hold the ones on the in a flanking manuever.
benj

Post by benj »

Circon wrote:The new scenario "To the harbor of Tirigaz" is far too hard IMHO. I'm playing it on Medium, and I'm wondering just how to beat it. The two main problems are
A: My large lack of ranged attack, in the face of Dark Adepts and Boneshooters
B: The Vampire Bats that fly in and zap the priest doctors.

The first time, I lost on turn 8. I then poked through the file, since I thought I must have missed something. There was a event for a unit to drink holy water, doing nothing.
The only thing I can possibly think of is to recruit Troll Whelps, who do Impact damage. This has failed since they have a large %to be hit and not much damage.
<spoiler>The holy water thing is just a joke. :wink: </spoiler>

I'l redo this scenario to see how I can balance it. It was too easy to beat it previously so I've made it more difficult ... perhaps too much. Can you detail your strategy?

Here is how I beat it (or course, being the creator, no difficulty) : I recall my best units (troll warrior, goblin direwolver, orcish warlord one or two trolls and send them to the north), send a troll and three priests to the east carefully stoping bats (priests retrenched in villages), recruit as much trolls as I can and send them to the south, holding position on grassland. Once northern lich is dead, you have won the game because southern lich will not be able to stand your assault. Of course, southern trolls suffer heavy casualties ... but you are eventually able to level up at least three of them.
Circon

Post by Circon »

Ah. I think I'm tracing my problem.

I don't have enough advanced units!

(Oh, and I understood that the H.O.L.Y W.A.T.E.R was just an orc being stupid. However, why is there no bottle showing up?)

At the beginning, I have 3 Orcish Warriors. I have a Troll Whelp being 4 exp from leveling and a Archer 3 xp from leveling.
No Trolls (except Grûû). No troll warriors (and this seems to be a clue in your strategy.)
And I have just enough money to recruit a full castle of whelps.

Holding my position in the south is near-impossible due to Boneshooters not taking a terrain penalty when using their bows, and Ghosts flying in to wail at my troll whelps (who take insanely large amounts of damage from Wail!*) I have no chance of "leveling up at least three troll whelps".
I can perhaps send 4 whelps north

*Note: Maybe all trolls should gain progressive cold resistance? (20, 30, 40%?) They have huge hp and regen, this would indicate thick enough hide to keep out the worst of the cold. Would solve my problem too, as I can't think of many scenarios with trolls vs. ghosts. Besides, there was a thread on whether to power up the whelps.
Jyhem

What about the cage in the south of scenario 3 ?

Post by Jyhem »

What about the cage in the south of scenario 3 ?

I managed to step on it but nothing happened.
Yet in the file, there seems to be some thank-you message from Jetto, an orcish assassin.
Is this a bug ?
Ahaa!!
I figured out the way maps relate to scenario files:
The cage is drawn on position 7,33 but one needs to step on
5,33 to free Jetto (two steps left).
Obviously a bug
benj

Re: What about the cage in the south of scenario 3 ?

Post by benj »

Jyhem wrote:I figured out the way maps relate to scenario files:
The cage is drawn on position 7,33 but one needs to step on
5,33 to free Jetto (two steps left).
Obviously a bug
You're right, I messed with the position. :oops:

There is a new version availble at http://www.grassouille.org/code/data/

Many thanks for your feedback
Circon

Post by Circon »

Hmmm... I note that I can recall the Eastern Tower on "the Desert of Death". Add a [kill] tag.
benj

Post by benj »

Circon wrote:Hmmm... I note that I can recall the Eastern Tower on "the Desert of Death". Add a [kill] tag.
Oops! Though, this can be a good unit to defend your castle :D

EDIT: I just uploaded a new release that fixes this (amongst other things). This is 0.5.2
Last edited by benj on March 27th, 2004, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.