[Historical] Orcish campaign

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

How is this campaign ?

Too hard, I'm stuck!
No votes
Hard, but challenging
75%
Just as it ought
25%
Too easy, I already have 20 lvl3 trolls !
No votes

Total votes: 4

Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

IT WORKED! Yippie!

If any macOSX users need help with seting it up just ask me.
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Thanks for the tip methinks. I was able to copy the new scenario files into Wesnoth manually. I just opened the package contents of the wesnoth app, and copied the files into their correct locations. It's a lot easier when you realize the makefile is just a textfile which tells the compiler where to put each file, it was like a little installation guide.

The scenario runs pretty well, and is quite enjoyable. I'm not sure if it's becuase of my manual installation, but there's a new terrain tile on the second map that isn't showing up. It must be a new arctic snow tile, because the screen goes all screwey when i tried to display those tiles. And I noticed that there was no dialog at the beginning of level two, even though i did see some when I opened up the scenario file. Otherwise, it's coming along well. It's fun to play the orcs.
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

Did you put all the snow terain tiles in the right folder?
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
benj

Post by benj »

quartex wrote:Thanks for the response. I was just asking. I thought since someone had released a windows version, a mac version was something benj could do easily as well. I hadn't realized that it was only one person supporting all the mac players. Don't mean to appear ungreatful.
Well, I do not have a mac ready for this. I just made a tarball and a zip file with files in it, but I can produce a README telling where to copy them. Untill then, there is a unix Makefile that does the job for Unix fellows but that is straightforward to read and know what to do on other systems.

Cheers,
Benjamin
benj

Post by benj »

Dave wrote:The orcish campaign is not yet in CVS, is not yet an official part of the game, and so it won't be included in the binary, unless Sithrandel makes special effort to include it.
I'd really like to see this campaign included in CVS, since this would simplify the job of people who want to test it. There are additional tiles (snowy hills and forests) and custom units that need manual copying of cfg files, which ca nbe trikcy and even ruin installations if local version is not compatible with mine. :?

Of course, this campaign is at its early stages since only three scenarios are done (with some bugs, messages are sometimes not showing up) and I have not finished stroryline artwork right now. What ae the requirements that I would have to fit to see this campaign included ? Of course, if developers are interested in this.
methinks

Post by methinks »

Developers are VERY interested in your campaign being included.

Of course it is not me who decides when it will be, but if you post your storyline and all and talk to Dave about your ideas I think he may give you the blessing if you prove you really want to do campaign. I believe you are and I am eager to see it finished :]

Maybe one of Mac OsX users may post instructions here so that for now others know what and how.
-Adam
miyo

Post by miyo »

I think we are interested including complete campaigns to Wesnoth. Even then every campaign does not have to be included with Wesnoth source. After all campaigns other than 'Heir to the Throne' are considered as add-ons.

Our main concern is getting 'Heir to the Throne' complete and balanced - other campaigns are nice add-on and we try to support them as much as we can (which sometimes is not much). Of course we are also aiming to release 1.0.

We don't want a lot of half-finished units in the game, same goes for Campaigns.

- Miyo
miyo

Post by miyo »

http://wesnoth.slack.it/?UserScenarios -> 'An Orcish Campaign' could be extended to contain information how to manually enable your campaign in u$win, MacOS X, etc.

You can add the information or you can ask users that have done it to add that information.

- Miyo
Feldegast

Post by Feldegast »

The Orc campaign could become the testing ground for the concept of a "civilian" unit, something to add to the atmosphere and story line. Think of weak civilian Orc units which are slaughtered by attacking human units.

One of the first scenarios could be to reach and defend an Orcish outpost near the plains. You start at the far end of the map with a few Orc units and can't recruit until you reach the output which is under attack of a few humans already. Another bunch of humans will follow a couple of turns later, appearing as a small army (a group) of soldiers at the border of the map instead of being recruited one after the other by a commander in a castle. Scenario objectives would be to survive till the end of turns (and of course, gain experience wisely).
methinks

Post by methinks »

At http://wesnoth.slack.it/?UserScenarios you can find quicke instructions on how to get this campaign running. Of course Mac OSX user need to get into Wesnoth package (AFAIK it works as folder you can simply open it).

Correct mistakes on spot :]
-Adam
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Thanks methinks. I had the terrian tiles in the wrong folder, now the look really purdy. I love the snow covered forests and hills. Goods start of a compaign too, benj, I can't wait to play beyond the second level.
benj

Post by benj »

methinks wrote:At http://wesnoth.slack.it/?UserScenarios you can find quicke instructions on how to get this campaign running. Of course Mac OSX user need to get into Wesnoth package (AFAIK it works as folder you can simply open it).

Correct mistakes on spot :]
Many thanks for your comments and instructions on the wiki. I will add them to the README as well.
benj

Post by benj »

quartex wrote:Thanks methinks. I had the terrian tiles in the wrong folder, now the look really purdy. I love the snow covered forests and hills. Goods start of a compaign too, benj, I can't wait to play beyond the second level.
Thanks for your feedback. :D

The third scenario is now almost done. It is playable but without hints provided by heroes, you won't know how to win it. :wink:

Fourth scenario is at its early stages, the map is almost done.
benj

Post by benj »

Feldegast wrote:The Orc campaign could become the testing ground for the concept of a "civilian" unit, something to add to the atmosphere and story line. Think of weak civilian Orc units which are slaughtered by attacking human units.

One of the first scenarios could be to reach and defend an Orcish outpost near the plains. You start at the far end of the map with a few Orc units and can't recruit until you reach the output which is under attack of a few humans already. Another bunch of humans will follow a couple of turns later, appearing as a small army (a group) of soldiers at the border of the map instead of being recruited one after the other by a commander in a castle. Scenario objectives would be to survive till the end of turns (and of course, gain experience wisely).
This is indeed a good idea ! I was thinking about an introductory scenario that would come before my first scenario. I think I will implement this scenario, perhaps not exactly like you described but very close.

Cheers,
Benjamin
methinks

Post by methinks »

Hi!

Unfortuanately this scenario is incompatibale with latest CVS :( I do not know why, but it spoiled the game and game does not want to run. SUrely this matter will be soon looked intom probably matter of writing correct game.cfg and terrain.cfg as they have evolved since the time benj has done they're parrarel versions.

Dave: It might be good idea to try to add a fuction to "manually" load scenario/campaign from file, so that you won't have to edit game.cfg
Of course this would give support only to units and terrains and images already in-game. I think it may be not worth effort to add support for loading campaigns with additional tiles and units.

benj: you can edit your post by pressing "edit" next to it. do not double or triple post unless you want to bump thread for some reason.
And n/p about those instructions it was rather quickie :]
-Adam