[Historical] Orcish campaign

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

How is this campaign ?

Too hard, I'm stuck!
No votes
Hard, but challenging
75%
Just as it ought
25%
Too easy, I already have 20 lvl3 trolls !
No votes

Total votes: 4

benj

Post by benj »

Sangel wrote:Through over-recruitment, strategy and no small measure of luck (if the computer sends its initial troops downwards, you're screwed), I've managed to get in a position to win (like Insinuator, I can't actually win, even with a bunch of Saurians all the way across the bridge). However, there are literally hordes of elves all over me, and I'm losing second and third level units all over the place. This should not be happening on an Easy game.
Well, consider this is one of the last two scenarios, so leveled units are expected to die, as in Heir to the Throne.
Sangel wrote: Balancing needed (especially for easy):

- The swamp needs to extend further up, and contain at least one, preferably two more villages. Saurians don't regenerate, remember.
Agreed. This was my plan, because it is now easier to run to the western part of the forest and to fight knalgans. What I wanted in this scenario is that player has the choice to fight against elves or knalgans.

Hrmpf, I just noticed that saurians are now skirmishers ... this totally change my scenario, because they used to regenerate and now they can't. I'll have to do somre major redesign.
Sangel wrote:- The Elven Castle needs to shrink two hexes, and the Knalgan Castle at least one. At present, the size of their waves is too great.
OK, i'll think about this.
Sangel wrote:- The enemy leaders need to run out of gold after five to six waves, tops, on easy. Having them recruiting a full castle of troops on Turn 10 is just plain crazy.
Well, this is a "retreat and save your life" like scenario. I don't want people to kill the enemy leaders but just to save the saurians. But it looks like for some people there is a bug in the WML and saving the saurians does not work. Could you post a copy of your saved game so that I see what happens ?
Insinuator

Save game

Post by Insinuator »

Here is the save game on the last turn.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

I read the scenario file for Saving Inarix, and it is unclear how it is supposed to work. But here is how I would do it:

Code: Select all

[event]
name=moveto
first_time_only=no
[filter]
type=Saurian
{location=fort}
[/filter]
[set_variable]
name=saurians_safe
add=1
[/set_variable]
[kill]
type=Saurian
{location=fort}
[/kill]
[if]
[variable]
name=saurians_safe
numerical_equals=4
[/variable]
[then]
{victory}
[/then]
[/if]
[/event]
which doesn't consider Inarix, but this can be patched.
energyman76c

Post by energyman76c »

Hi,

I played 'Saving Inarix' now several times on easy.

It is hard, but not too hard, you just have to recruit as much wolf-riders as possible plus two or three 2nd/3rd level trolls.

I use an orkish direwolf and the orcish archer to kill the elves on the bridge and push the wolfriders southward. The saurians/lizardmen are building a large 'blob' killing some of the footpads and go north as fast as possible.
This way I am able to build a shild of wolfriders and the trolls are defending the bridge against the elves until the saurians are save. I usually loose one 3rd level troll, two 2nd level grunts (that means, all recalled 2nd level grunts ;o)) and a couple of first level wolfriders, nothing to worry about.

Without 'skirmisher' this would be a lot harder, I think, because now, the saurians can easily pass the elves and footpads and seek shelter behind the orcs.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

It sounds like the choices the AI makes are critical to the difficulty of this level. Often when I play the AI ignores my Orcs altogether and swarms the Saurians - even Skirmisher won't help when you've got a barricade of Elves and Footpads 2-3 deep in your way.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
benj

Status of the campaign

Post by benj »

It's been a long time since I posted here, but campaign has evolved.

First, Saving Inarix has been fixed so that you win even if you put your saurians on the fort on last turn.

Second, last scenario of chapter I of the campaign has been finished. It is a "defend" scenario, so units are expected to die. This scenario is named "Clash of armies" and is in the latest CVS.

Note that this scenario is the last of this chapter of the campaign. In next chapter, Kapou'e will begin first scenario with no veteran unit except Inarix and Grüü (and perhaps a shaman but I'm not sure). So, "Clash of armies" is the scenario where you want to use your veterans. ;-)

I hope all of you have had a good time playing the campaign. Enjoy!
:D
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

So it's not the end of the campaign? Just the first chapter? How many chapters are you planning on having? I thought the orcish campaign was the first completed campaign in the game, but having never gotten past level 5, I wasn't sure.
benj

Post by benj »

quartex wrote:So it's not the end of the campaign? Just the first chapter? How many chapters are you planning on having? I thought the orcish campaign was the first completed campaign in the game, but having never gotten past level 5, I wasn't sure.
Well, I call this a "chapter" because I intend to write more scenarios for Kapou'e, Grüü and Inarix. But each chapter is a separate game, so it is much like a campaign. That is, the only common point will be the main characters and the context.

It is a bit like Star Wars, which vol 1 to 3 are the first chapter and vol 4 to 6 are the second.

I intend to write a second chapter of 10 scenarios because I think long campaigns can easily be boring. Also, I wouldn't mind if other people want to write it. After all, as it is disconnected from the first chapter, it can be done by a different team.
Phekko

Post by Phekko »

I'm probably a little stupid, but I also am not having any luck completing the Saving Inarix scenario.

I have just upgraded to 7.10 and replayed the scenario with that beginning from scratch. Still no luck. I have the saurians in the middle of the river at about turn 10 (+-1) and since the mission objective is kinda vagua, I tried positioning them there first. Nothing. Then I put them in the fort on the other side of the river, the one with them three watch towers. Still no luck. Now where the heck are they supposed to go to win this scenario?
benj

Post by benj »

Phekko wrote:I'm probably a little stupid, but I also am not having any luck completing the Saving Inarix scenario.

I have just upgraded to 7.10 and replayed the scenario with that beginning from scratch. Still no luck. I have the saurians in the middle of the river at about turn 10 (+-1) and since the mission objective is kinda vagua, I tried positioning them there first. Nothing. Then I put them in the fort on the other side of the river, the one with them three watch towers. Still no luck. Now where the heck are they supposed to go to win this scenario?
Hmm, strange. Could you send me the replay of this scenario ?
Phekko

Post by Phekko »

Certainly. I am not sure which version of the numerous times I played this scenario this is. I am almost certain that I may have missed the actual mission objective, but I am also quite certain that I have no idea what it actually is. I thought the idea was to get them saurians to the fortress on the north bank of the river.
Phekko

Post by Phekko »

I tried the scenario yet once more with version 0.8. Still the same end result. I think I must be stupid.
Viliam
Translator

Rename scenario

Post by Viliam »

The scenario "Ogre Training" should not have id Ogre, because it conflicts with unit id Ogre -- therefore it cannot be properly localised.

Please change it.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Viliam, you are talking about the Loyalist Campaign, not the Orcish campaign.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
benj

Post by benj »

Phekko wrote:I tried the scenario yet once more with version 0.8. Still the same end result. I think I must be stupid.
OK, I think I understand the problem. There was a misunderstanding in objectives that I fixed previously, but my fix caused wrong objectives :oops: : in this scenario you have to rescue FIVE saurians PLUS Inarix.

In next release, the number of saurians to rescue will be what it should be, that is FOUR. But perhaps I will balance the scenario and make it clearer if I change victory conditions to be : move the lizards inside the walls of Prestim.

Sorry for inconvenience and for the time it took me to answer. :cry:

If you want to fix the scenario by hand, edit the Saving_Inarix.cfg file and change any occurence of

type="saurian"
with

race="lizard"