Under the Burning Suns

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Disto wrote:Great campaign Quartex, and thanks for including my unit.
You're welcome. Your artwork is a nice elvish horseman.
Disto

Post by Disto »

I was looking through the units in the scenario data and guess what i found, what is it?
Attachments
dawarf.png
dawarf.png (1.43 KiB) Viewed 4497 times
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Older forum members will remember it was Neorice's creation from months ago. It's a little easter egg, I'll make its location a bit more explicit in the future.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I just posted a new update to the campaign server. A copy of 0.2.4 has also been posted to my website. This will probably be the last update until I release Scenario 5, unless large bugs suddenly rear their ugly heads.

0.2.4 changelog
scen2: -fixed oasis grammar/typos
-increased turn limit to 72

scen3: -removed gold bonus at end of scenario
-instead, future costs of units is affected by how many encampments you saved (as per Sangel's plan).
10-12 = No increase in recruitment cost
8-9 = +1 gold per unit
6-7 = +2 gold per unit

scen4: -fixed instant victory bug

storyline: changed dream sequences slightly
KK_r

Post by KK_r »

great! now the images work fine
qleak

Post by qleak »

love the campaigne :-D keep up the awesome work.

PS: the purple abomination made me laugh my ass off.
pravin

Post by pravin »

Celestial wrote:wesnoth v0.8.10 I just tried the campaign (v0.2.3) and on the first scenario, I got some "invisible" elvish hunters. They are only visible to me when they are being attacked or are attacking. weird bug.

edit : btw, I read a bit the topic. GNU / linux and I don't have the libzipio compiled with wesnoth.
If you've just download a scenario, it doesn't show any of the custom units. Quit wesnoth and restart it. Now you should see the invisible hunters.
A warrior may die a thousand deaths,
An empire dies but one.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Thanks pravin. Glad you liked the purple dude, qleak. It was one of Neorice's more famous humorous units.

Just a quick update, I know it's been a month since I released the fourth scenario. I was busy for several weeks and so that slowed development. The good news is that I am working very hard on the fifth scenario and making good progress, it will be ready when it's ready, but hopefully that will be soonish. The reason why it's taking so long is that it is probably the most complex scenarios of the campaign. I'm really proud of it, but balancing everything is a lot of work.
esquivel

Post by esquivel »

hmmmm... I really loved this so far but I missed the Wraith castle in the desert I think? Some of the later dialogue didn't make sense.

This is probably the best use of WMLish stuff I have seen yet.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

What specific dialogue are you referring to? I make a passing mention to ruins scattered across the desert, but I don't think there are any major plot points tied to the wraith castle.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

After a month and a half I am very happy to release version 0.3 containing scenario 5 and scenario 6. Scenario 5 will probably be the most complicated and longest scenario of the campaign. It's also quite difficult, especially on Challenging and Hard difficulty. Since it is probably as long as two normal scenarios, I strongly encourage people to save occasionally mid-scenario, so they don't have to go back and start over from the beginning. Scenario 5 may not be perfectly balanced, and the troll shaman artwork isn't finished yet, but I think it is polished enough for general release. I'd also like to thank Ringcaat, Isaac and mpolo for their help beta testing scenarios 5, it was a huge help.

I have also made several changes to previous scenarios. Most importantly I have worked to make scenario 2 easier on Normal difficulty, and to make fighting underground on scenario 4 easier.

You can download Under the Burning Suns v 0.3.0 from the campaign server.
You can also download it from the web here:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/quartex/

0.3 beta changelog
-copied [+unit] into #ifdef so they are only added if player chooses this campaign. I couldn't copy [binary_path] because I need it outside of the #ifdef to show the desert hunter images in the difficulty selection screen.

scen 1:
-removed message id's

scen 2:
-added label for Pinnacle rock

scen 4:
-added dirt to orcish caves so that elves can fight in slightly better terrain. In cave floor elves get 30% defense and orcs get 40%. Elves get 40% defense on dirt.
-in Normal difficulty I replaced the Orcish Warlord leaders with Orcish Warriors

Added new unit: desert star (level 4 successor to the Desert Shyde which gains the "illuminates" special ability)

Added Scenario 5 and Scenario 6!
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

Ok, I deleted the old version before grabbing the new (0.3) one, because I wanted to see if the "Invisible Hunter" problem is still there. It is.

It only happens if you start playing in the same session as you downloaded the scenario in. Quitting and restarting the game fixes the problem. So it's not a big deal. But it definitely seems to be some sort of minor bug, either in the campaign itself, or in the main game code. I hope it can be tracked down before too much longer.

Anyway, aside from that, I just want to say thank you for the unusual and interesting campaign. It's really creative, and I've been enjoying it quite a bit.
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not. I use a lot of graphical files, it makes sense that Wesnoth would only load the new graphics files when the applications starts up. Thus you'd have to restart the application to load the new files you just downloaded from the campaign server.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong with the syntax of my campaign.cfg file, but I don't think it is a huge issue right now. I might add a warning to the campaign description telling people to restart after downloading the campaign.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

New update: 0.3.1

Changelog:

Scenario 5:
-added new troll shaman artwork
-fixed bug with cloaked figure, now he is at full strength and has correct dialogue
-rebalanced central cavern to weaken dwarves a bit
-change dialogue tree in scenario 6 to account for possibility that player never discovered troll/dwarf prisoner in scenario 5
scott

Post by scott »

quartex wrote:I'm not sure if this is a bug or not. I use a lot of graphical files, it makes sense that Wesnoth would only load the new graphics files when the applications starts up. Thus you'd have to restart the application to load the new files you just downloaded from the campaign server.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong with the syntax of my campaign.cfg file, but I don't think it is a huge issue right now. I might add a warning to the campaign description telling people to restart after downloading the campaign.
I also noticed that the game doesn't find custom unit images for downloaded campaigns until the game is restarted.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.