Under the Burning Suns

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

GrouchyDan

Re: Mainline Campaign: Under the Burning Suns

Post by GrouchyDan »

Playing first scenario with Wesnoth 1.7.13-1.8beta6. Note that the elves are neutral (regarding time-of-day), except for Kaleh, who is lawful. Don't remember this being the case during my previous playings of this campaign.

Sorry if this isn't the optimal place to post my observation.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

GrouchyDan wrote:Playing first scenario with Wesnoth 1.7.13-1.8beta6. Note that the elves are neutral (regarding time-of-day), except for Kaleh, who is lawful. Don't remember this being the case during my previous playings of this campaign.

Sorry if this isn't the optimal place to post my observation.
This is the right place to post your observation.

The desert elves, unlike the normal wood elves are meant to be lawful.
So every unit you own in that scenario should be lawful, wasn't that the case?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Desert elves are supposed to be lawful. It's a defining characteristic that sets them apart from their forest-dwelling ancestors, and it is mentioned in some dialog sequences.

There's a bug in the latest versions that cause them to be neutral for some reason. :/ Their neutral alignment is a consequence of bug #15429 [Gna.org]. Too bad that it made it to 1.7.13. :/
Last edited by Iris on February 20th, 2010, 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Nova

Post by Nova »

In Across the Harsh Sands, it would be nice if the Dust Devil was unable to pick up the Holy Water. This is for two reasons: it makes little sense, thematically; and its damage type is already 'arcane.'

Now, granted, this is an expert-level campaign and one would hope that its players were familiar enough with Holy Water not to even attempt wasting it on the Dust Devil. But it should be such an easy fix I thought I'd at least mention it.

Incidentally, I'm playing 1.7.13 and the elves are correctly 'lawful.' Either it's an inconsistent problem, or it's been fixed. In which case, uh, good job.

And I'm loving this campaign, so far. I'm only two scenarios in, and it already has the 'epic' feel -- that's a tough trick to pull off so early in the game.
"Never underestimate the power of the fish rush." "I don't think nagas are fish." "Fish Rush!"
---
Flight to Freedom: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... &start=690
Co-Author, Maintainer
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Nova wrote:In Across the Harsh Sands, it would be nice if the Dust Devil was unable to pick up the Holy Water. This is for two reasons: it makes little sense, thematically; and its damage type is already 'arcane.'

Now, granted, this is an expert-level campaign and one would hope that its players were familiar enough with Holy Water not to even attempt wasting it on the Dust Devil. But it should be such an easy fix I thought I'd at least mention it.

Incidentally, I'm playing 1.7.13 and the elves are correctly 'lawful.' Either it's an inconsistent problem, or it's been fixed. In which case, uh, good job.

And I'm loving this campaign, so far. I'm only two scenarios in, and it already has the 'epic' feel -- that's a tough trick to pull off so early in the game.
It's fine for the recruited elves but not for the ones that have been placed in by wml code. I guess you have a mixture of lawfull and neutral elves around.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

I miss my godlike Dust Devil. Boooo on nerfing its advancement tree :(.
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

Hello everybody...
I've made it to the penultimate (ie the one before the last one) quite a while ago. I like this campaign immensely, and I'll try to finish it :oops: ...
anyway, critique:
? Nym's sprites are from V1.2.8, and Kaleh needs a bolas animation.
? the long part that occurs underground is immensely annoying because elves get 70% C2BH in caves.
? I agree with Jozrael that the Dust Devil should have an advancement.
! I played it both in 1.6a and in 1.7.12 and the elves were lawful.
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

I played this campaign back on 1.4, so I'm sure lots of things have changed since then, but I think the desert elves are supposed to be lawful. And the Dust Devil had an RPG-ish advancement tree, didn't it? Like Kaleh? And I doubt that the underground part is going to get removed... :P
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

There was a bug in .13 that caused WML-spawned units (not recruited) to ignore their respective alignments and become neutral. This is fixed in trunk (and if you really want to you can edit your savefiles as I've been doing).

The Dust Devil has an advancement tree but it got -heavily- nerfed from its original incarnation (which, admittedly, was -godlike-). I don't feel the underground part should be removed, there's a lot of interesting mechanics there.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

sur.nhm wrote:? Nym's sprites are from V1.2.8, and Kaleh needs a bolas animation.
Any artwork issues (which are many and far greater than this particular one, really) are known by the maintainers and Jetrel. So don't mention them unless you are going to fix them.
Captain_Wrathbow wrote:I think the desert elves are supposed to be lawful
I think that you and sur.nhm need to pay more attention to existing posts in a thread's last page — this one, in particular.

Wesnoth 1.7.14 is on its way to be announced soon and as Jozrael said, the bug (#15429 [Gna.org]) is effectively gone in this version. That won't fix existing units in your saved games that got the wrong alignment, of course, unless you edit them by hand or restart the whole campaign, or the scenario in which you started getting Neutral elves.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

When I tested, advancing turned them back to lawful (which I wasn't pleased about since I've always been annoyed by these elves' lawfulness...;)). So play a bit further and the problem vanishes.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
tryphiodorus

Dehydration and level-up

Post by tryphiodorus »

There appears to be a bug when a unit levels up while under the effect of dehydration (in the second scenario). When the dehydration wears off, the unit's attack power will be reset to its pre-level values (most noticeable with Kaleh, but I assume it affects other units as well). This was with version 1.6, but I didn't see anything in the 1.7 or 1.8 release notes about changing it, nor any earlier posts in this thread, so I assume it hasn't been addressed yet.
Rocier

Post by Rocier »

Is there a sequel to this campaign? It was epic. want more plz
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Rocier wrote:Is there a sequel to this campaign? It was epic. want more plz
The sequel is called "Invasion from the Unknown" short IftU.
It can be found on the addon server.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

And the sequel to IftU is After the Storm, but that isn't complete.