Under the Burning Suns

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

martenzo

Post by martenzo »

I tried that level again, for four extra times, worked on 1,2 and third time, on fourth extra try, She disappeared again.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Now I could get the holy water, thanks quartex..

Although I really don't want to play all the way to chapter 5 again, so I think I'll leave it. It's not like the undead really are that bad without it either.
faust

Post by faust »

Thanks for the tip with the holy water!

Btw: If I upgrade my version, can I still continue my old game?
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

faust wrote:Thanks for the tip with the holy water!

Btw: If I upgrade my version, can I still continue my old game?
Yes, you shouldn't have any problems. The only issue is that if you load a saved game from scenario 2, it will be playing the old version of that scenario, so to get the holy water fixed you have to start scenario 2 over from start. Saved games mid-scenario store the scenario code in the file, they only load the code from the campaign files when they start the next scenario.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I've just finished drawing the map for scenario 8 and I'm really proud of it. I think it is going to be fun and challenging.

Having a good map design is important becuase once you start coding events, it's a pain to have to re-draw sections of the map, lest you have to retype all the coordinates for your special events.

Also I'm not an artist, but I think drawing a map is a bit like painting. I can start with a big empty map, and draw in rough shapes and then add more and more detail. It's a greadual process, but it always surprises when I look at the finished product. A good map is a beautiful thing.

P.S. And lets just say that I'm really glad that someone created a good looking jungle terrain type. Thank you. :-)
lynx

Post by lynx »

Oh my! This is simply the best campaign ever done for wesnoth! Such depth, exploration, bonuses, humour... *pure* fun. :shock: It is also functional as any campaign should be. :)

RP in wesnoth, I would've never believed it, especially after some sorry mp attempts. :?

I experienced no trouble; just finished the troll ruler meeting scenario.

Beware of the Extra Hairy Bat! :lol:
(S)elfish weirdo
Location: Trying to finish Mystery campaigns without losses, have completed 0% of the maps so far.

Post by (S)elfish weirdo »

I'm finishing this campaign without losses and without loading, I have gotten to "a subterranean struggle", killed both troll leaders and gotten half my army cross the lava (without losses :twisted: ) one of my desert shydes only had 1 hp left, but since heat damage couldn't kill, I wasn't too worried, but as I pressed end turn, the trolls must have pulled out some really nasty magical trick, because my entire army just dissapeared, leaving only the shyde now with -1 hp, anyway, here is the save in case you are interested.
Attachments
buggy_save.zip
nasty troll magic... or nasty bugs...
(43.64 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
A statement within a signature is a body of absolutist assertions designed to shelter those who cannot abide the cold, hard realities of actually having to prove their claims.
claus

Post by claus »

I believe that attacks with more than one special do not really work. For example the troll wand should give magical and poison, but the resulting attack does have neither poison nor magical. (BfW 0.9.2)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

claus wrote:I believe that attacks with more than one special do not really work. For example the troll wand should give magical and poison, but the resulting attack does have neither poison nor magical. (BfW 0.9.2)
Correct.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

claus wrote:I believe that attacks with more than one special do not really work. For example the troll wand should give magical and poison, but the resulting attack does have neither poison nor magical. (BfW 0.9.2)
Will this be possible in the future? Or has it always been intended that each attack can only have one special? I'll have to change this in the future. But it's a pretty minor item in the general scheme of things.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

(S)elfish weirdo wrote:I'm finishing this campaign without losses and without loading, I have gotten to "a subterranean struggle", killed both troll leaders and gotten half my army cross the lava (without losses :twisted: ) one of my desert shydes only had 1 hp left, but since heat damage couldn't kill, I wasn't too worried, but as I pressed end turn, the trolls must have pulled out some really nasty magical trick, because my entire army just dissapeared, leaving only the shyde now with -1 hp, anyway, here is the save in case you are interested.
Sorry about this. I suggest for now that you try fighting the dwarves instead. This sounds like a really strange bug. Have you tried it again with 0.9.2? I never experienced this bug myself, but the WML must be doing something really odd.

Right now I'm trying to finish scenario 8. I realize that scenario 5 has several problems (it's probably the most complex scenario in the campaign), but for now I'm pushing to finish the campaign first (I'm quickly nearing the end), then go back and hunt out all the bugs.
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

quartex wrote:I'm pushing to finish the campaign first (I'm quickly nearing the end), then go back and hunt out all the bugs.
Great to hear UTBS is making progress. Are you really planning on 30 scenarios?

It would also be great if you could fix the no-newline-at-end-of-file in your campaign file, while we try to track down why this has suddenly become mandatory. Adding a blank line to the end of the Under_the_Burning_Suns.cfg file allows the campaign to work with current CVS, but the campaign as it currently stands is broken.
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Ott, nope I'm only planning on having about 8 scenarios.

I have just released version 0.5.0 of Under the Burning Suns onto the campaigns server. I tested it on wesnoth 0.9.3 and while it seems to take a while to load the campaign, it does load correctly. I hope people enjoy this scenario. After this there is only one more to go!

There may be some bugs in scenario 8, though I think I have fixed all the big ones. I am releasing this scenario early, partially because I wanted to fix the bug that was keeping UTBS from loading, and because I don't want to wait another week before releasing it.

0.5.0 changelog:

fixed traits for all units, should appear correctly now
campaign should run fine on wesnoth 0.9.3

scenario 7:
added traits to human captain

scenario 8:
added scenario 8!
xant

Post by xant »

Not bad, the campaign seems to be going pretty well, but i would like to add just a few pointers, if its still possible in such a late stage of the development of the campaign.

First of all, in subterean stuggle, i noiticed that the choices aren't fairly balanced at all.
Should you chose to aid the dwarves you have to pass through all that lava that does severe damage if you are in it. And even if you arent standing on directly on the lava you still take damage, and even if there were no monsters blocking the way, in order to pass the lava each units takes 20+ damage total, just from crossing to the other side not to mention all the fire spirits which all tend to gang up on one unit at a time, and since they can't move off their platforms they are all alone to deal with the fire spirits, and therefore tend to die.
While if you aid the trolls you just have to wade through water without taking huge damage from lava, or damage at all, and all of the monters in the lake do not have ranged attack making them far less dangerous than the fire spirits and the lava.

Also, after my units finally crossed the lava (while aiding the trolls) and painstakingly dealed with the shamen, and their re-enforcements my remaining troops were heavyly wounded, so something that would have been greatly wanted before the final confrontation with the troll leader would be a few villages to heal.

When i aided the trolls and won, i had about 50 turns remaining, and suffered few losses.
However when i aided the dwarves, i had about 5 turns remaining, and lost pretty much all my previous and experienced troops.

One other thing about that scenario, is while aiding the dwarves, when i tried help the dwarf's ghost so that i could get the poison wand, after i got his body, the ghost just said a dialog, other than that nothing happened, because before i could pass him anyways, so i expected that the chasm would be filled up or something, but nothing happened... im guessing this is a bug. because the way it is now only shydes and stars can get the wand, and since it only work on melee, it seems pretty usless because they only attack in ranged...

So it seems pretty obvious to me that it is a far harder scenario if you aid the dwarves instead of the trolls, and so far i havent seen any extra bonuses for aided the dwarves...

And now completely off topic. I noiticed that you decided not to allow the desert shamen to become desert sorceresses, im not sure if this is a bug, but im guessing it isn't because of all this talk that magic is so rare and all... But one thing that i thought might be interesting would be to allowed them to be upgraded into desert sorceresses after they met Elyssa, and maybe even put in a dialog with her saying that she would teach Kaleh's people some of her magic, maybe even if Zhul's help so that their magic is given from Eloh. And maybe they could have fire magic instead of cold like normal elvish sorceresses, since Elyssa uses fire magic, and also because Eloh created a second sun, so i'm guessing that either she is a fire god, or just likes fire a lot...
Anyways you dont have to listen or follow any of this as it is your campiagn, just a few freindly pointers, sorry if i sounded mad or angry at you above... Well thanks for reading i guess...
Every action has a consequence.
lynx

Post by lynx »

A nice idea about those sorcerers! :)