Under the Burning Suns

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Easuth

Post by Easuth »

quartex wrote:Easuth, what system are you using?...

On Mac OS X, when wesnoth runs it creates a log of it's actions in an application called "Console". When it crashes I can open this log and see what happened right before it crashed. Do you know how to access such a log for Windows or Linux, Easuth? It might provide some hints as to what type of error is causing the crash.
I'm running Win2K and 0.9.4. I don't see a log file or an application to create such. Where does "Console" come from?

I have 0.9.3, but at this point I think it would be less annoying to work around the crashes than to start over, unless I was just recording a quick Zuhl bug. My comments weren't meant so much as a complaint as they were an effort to identify or deal with the crashes to help others. :)
scott

Post by scott »

Doesn't windows have a file called stderr.txt that accumulates crash errors?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
small

Post by small »

Code: Select all

Doesn't windows have a file called stderr.txt that accumulates crash errors?
Yes it has :P
Log that should be about it (mayby because I do not known so good wesnoth :wink: and don't want to know :P )

Because of number of lines, i send it by pm to quartex

Edit

No i won't, every day it creating new :roll:
Time of WAR :D
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I believe that the recent crashes may be due to the half-completed translation files which I included in my last update. So I have release a new version, 0.5.2, which has several fixes and typo corrections, and also have removed the translation files.

If people need the translation files, I can put them up seperately for download.

I hope this helps.

In other news, I am about halfways done with the final push to finish the campaign. The end is in sight. It's a race to see if I can get UTBS 1.0 released before Wesnoth 1.0. I may not be able to, as I want to make the conclusion as good as possible, but we'll see. Thanks for your patience.

0.5.2 changelog:

scenario 8:
-Fixed typos in dialogue

-Now Trolls and other units have correct movement for shallow water terrain
-Added AMLA (after maximum level advancement?) bonus for desert elf units
-Removed translations for now, because they seemed to be causing crashes in 0.9.4
Easuth

Post by Easuth »

quartex wrote: -Added AMLA (after maximum level advancement?) bonus for desert elf units
Aw, man, almost makes me want to start over with the new release. Almost. This is going to be longer than HttT and TRoW combined at this rate. I love it. Maybe I'll start over to choose different allies.

Suggestion: Base the image for the Desert Star on the Sylph instead of the Shyde. It just looks more glowy. If you needed to reduce confusion, you could change the Star's main attack to Cold type, though that's absolutely not necessary. :twisted: And if AMLA gives 3 HP for every 100 XP, a level-up that costs 150 XP could get at least a little HP increase. :?
Ave

Post by Ave »

Desert Shyde (Zhul) gets 25 hp damage while on a lava square (but didn't die) it had -8 hp.

When Zhul dies in the lava cavern the game doesn't end.
Attila

Post by Attila »

Easuth wrote:Aw, man, almost makes me want to start over with the new release. Almost. This is going to be longer than HttT and TRoW combined at this rate. I love it. Maybe I'll start over to choose different allies.
I'm trrying to but I got stuck in Out of the frying pan again. :)
Mellor

AMLA in UtBS 0.5.2

Post by Mellor »

[quote="quartex"]
-Added AMLA (after maximum level advancement?) bonus for desert elf units
[/quote]

I restarted the game with the newest versions of both UtBS and Wesnoth and found that AMLA isn't working in UtBS. Am I messing up something?
Ave

Post by Ave »

Some units got AMLA, like the great mage.
Some not.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

For the record, my attempt to add AMLA seems to have failed. I think I know why and will try to fix it in the future.

Having played wesnoth for 2 years without this new feature, I don't see what the big deal is. I don't think it's a great idea, part of the strategy of wesnoth is giving experience to new units and not killing everything wiht your maxxed out units. AMLA is nice, but making sure it works isn't on the top of my list right now.

I'm afraid progress this week has been halted becuase I suddenly encountered a strange bug with Wesnoth 0.9.4a and OS X 10.3.8. It's not even my campaign, for some reason when loading the application, it can't load the unit files. I get the error:

error filesystem: streaming /Users/swaina//Library/Preferences/Wesnoth/data/units failed.

Of course the folder Preferences/Wesnoth/data/units doesn't exist. The only folder inside Preferences/Wesnoth/data/ is campaigns (which stores the custom campaigns). For some reason Wesnoth is trying to load the list of units from the wrong location? I tried reloading Wesnoth 0.9.4a but it made no difference.

So I've spend a total of four hours trying to debug my campaign only to discover that the bug wasn't in my code at all. I'd upgrade to 0.9.5, but I'd need to upgrade my OS to 10.3.9 first. Argh. More troubles...
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

quartex wrote:For the record, my attempt to add AMLA seems to have failed. I think I know why and will try to fix it in the future.

Having played wesnoth for 2 years without this new feature, I don't see what the big deal is. I don't think it's a great idea, part of the strategy of wesnoth is giving experience to new units and not killing everything wiht your maxxed out units. AMLA is nice, but making sure it works isn't on the top of my list right now.
I agree with AMLA being pretty useless. I'd rather like to see how many bonus xp I can get to a maxed-out unit than to get it invincible with huge amounts of AMLAs...

I'd rather like to see UtBS finished and polished without AMLA than it not being ready but having AMLA for desert units.

quartex wrote:So I've spend a total of four hours trying to debug my campaign only to discover that the bug wasn't in my code at all. I'd upgrade to 0.9.5, but I'd need to upgrade my OS to 10.3.9 first. Argh. More troubles...
What restricts you from upgrading to 10.3.9?
scott

Post by scott »

Ankka wrote:What restricts you from upgrading to 10.3.9?
Superstition.

*break break*

Are you sure it's your campaign causing the error? Have you checked for recent typos?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
allefant
Units Database Administrator

Post by allefant »

Regarding AMLA for UTBS - this is my stats at the beginning of chapter 8:

Nym: 127 XP
Kaleh: 232 XP

Then I have 8 more units with maxed out XP, they have: 88 53 34 29 16 15 7 3 XP.

So, I'd say, you can safely add AMLA to this campaign, it surely won't give you any gameplay relevant advantage (9 HP in total in my case from the first 7 scenarios), but will make those who simply got used to having AMLA and hate wasted XP very happy :)
Last edited by allefant on August 23rd, 2005, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ave

Post by Ave »

The best in AMLA is not the additional 3 hp's but the instant healing :) if granted.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Ave wrote:The best in AMLA is not the additional 3 hp's but the instant healing :) if granted.
But AMLA doesn't give instant healing.