Under the Burning Suns

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

emdot

Post by emdot »

quartex wrote:Thanks emdot. I fixed the first problem, it does make sense for the holy water to appear on the hex where the leader is defeated. However I don't understand what your second problem in "Out of the Frying pan..." is. Which dialog about flooding water are you referring to?
When you met bunch of loyalists deep in caves and you will kill all of them this event triggers dialog where to go, water surface is rising, troll isn't sure where to go and so on. I have not time to kill all of them and one javelineer was trailing after me up to the last passage when first units began fight on the desert. Then I killed him. This dialog doesn't match to this situation.
Begins with:
"Curses, the water is rising too fast. That tunnel those humans were fleeing down was the fastest way out of here, but it's already flooding."
Attila

Post by Attila »

emdot wrote:
quartex wrote:Thanks emdot. I fixed the first problem, it does make sense for the holy water to appear on the hex where the leader is defeated. However I don't understand what your second problem in "Out of the Frying pan..." is. Which dialog about flooding water are you referring to?
When you met bunch of loyalists deep in caves and you will kill all of them this event triggers dialog where to go, water surface is rising, troll isn't sure where to go and so on. I have not time to kill all of them and one javelineer was trailing after me up to the last passage when first units began fight on the desert. Then I killed him. This dialog doesn't match to this situation.
Begins with:
"Curses, the water is rising too fast. That tunnel those humans were fleeing down was the fastest way out of here, but it's already flooding."
I played it and the humans never went near me, they wandered around and then got killed by the rising water.

Also, I was having a near impossible time keeping Kaleh, as an Elvish Champion, alive, his speed in the caves compared to the speed of the water coming towards youn in different directions makes it almost impossible to get him through the cave alive.
emdot

Post by emdot »

Attila wrote: Also, I was having a near impossible time keeping Kaleh, as an Elvish Champion, alive, his speed in the caves compared to the speed of the water coming towards youn in different directions makes it almost impossible to get him through the cave alive.
That is easy. Just remember to keep group tightly when entering to new caves. Discovering them triggers flooding, this is not time dependant. Of course I assume Kaleh has Speed Ring (4th scenario). And recall/recruit only units that can move fast in caves - at least 3 hexes per turn.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

emdot wrote: When you met bunch of loyalists deep in caves and you will kill all of them this event triggers dialog where to go, water surface is rising, troll isn't sure where to go and so on. I have not time to kill all of them and one javelineer was trailing after me up to the last passage when first units began fight on the desert. Then I killed him. This dialog doesn't match to this situation.
Begins with:
I understand emdot. I fixed it. Before it fired if you killed any three humans. Now that dialogue only fires if you kill all three of the loyalists in the cave.

Kaleh having the speed ring allows him to move 3 hexes a turn. In the future I may change his unit type so that he always have leadership, becuase I've found that skill to be so useful in boosting your other units when fighting underground. Protect Kaleh with other units. Atilla is right that the flooding is triggered by events, not automatically. I thought that timing the flooding of each cavern would be too difficult, and this way I ensure that the creatures you encounter haven't drown before you get there.
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

BUG: In the end, Ryn dissapeares, she doesn't show up after she goes scouting the outside.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

I hope I don't duplicate someone's message, but for some reason the male versions of the desert hunter's are missing. No graphics.

Or, actually, the graphics blink when defending, nothing else.

Any idea?

This is immidiately after starting the scenario.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Oh my, it was fixed when I restarted... :oops:
faust

Post by faust »

Hi, I cannot pick up the Holy Water in Harsh Sands (seems like this problem existed before?)... hope I don't have to start over when you provide a fix...
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

faust wrote:Hi, I cannot pick up the Holy Water in Harsh Sands (seems like this problem existed before?)... hope I don't have to start over when you provide a fix...
I just noticed this too.
Mellor

Nym, Holy Water, and Humans

Post by Mellor »

[quote="martenzo"]BUG: In the end, Ryn dissapeares, she doesn't show up after she goes scouting the outside.[/quote]

Do you mean Nym? When I have been playing (most recently on Hard), she does show up after the Elves or the Troll (I sided with the poor, oppressed, misunderstood Trolls) ventures outside of the cave and Eloh appears. (Very good dialogue between Eloh and Kaleh!)

I looked at the code and saw that the Holy Water only is available on Easy and Medium but not on Hard. That is very reasonable. Even on Hard, the Undead are manageable with Nym's bola (impact), Zhul's entangle (impact), Grog/Nog's club (impact), and the flaming sword that Elyssa gives to someone (probably a hero/champion/marshal).

I haven't encountered the problem with the humans. (At least the fictional ones in the game.)

I chose to advance Kaleh as a Marshal. Giving him leadership ability regardless of his type would make the player's choice of advancement irrelevant. He is one of the characters who must stay alive. As a player decision, it makes sense to advance him in a way that keeps him away from the worst of the action but makes him able to have an influence upon it -- captain, then marshal. I think that the player's style should determine his advancement and whether or not he has leadership ability.

I'm really looking forward to the next scenarios. (Hopeful emphasis on plural.) Great campaign.
rangek

Post by rangek »

BUG: Defeat is not triggered when Nym dies on Descending_into_Darkness_Turn
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

No, Nym doesn't reappear, not when the level ends, not when she gets battered up and comes back to the party (assumed by dialog).
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

faust: sorry, I just introduced that bug recently, when I changed part of the code but not the other part. Now the holy water appears on the hex the outlaw leader was defeated at, AND you can pick it up. You will have to restart the scenario, or you can just edit the WML code of the next scenario to give your unit a holy attack. The holy attack is useful but not necessary to beat the campaign.

Ankka: glad the problem fixed itself, graphical glitches usually get fixed by restarting

Mellor: Thanks for the kind comments. Glad you are enjoying it. There are two scenarios left to go, and I do plan on starting on the next one soon. That may not seem like much, but my scenarios seem so long that I expect that will still be a lot of gameplay.

rangek: darn. I included some ugly code to keep the scenarios from ending during the "cloaked figure" event. This code is probably causing this bug. I'll put it on the to do list, but I've spent so much time beating my head over problems with the cloaked figure event and scenario 5, that if I doesn't cause the game to crash, I am tempted to ignore this bug. It's not a bug, it's a feature! Just force yourself to restart if Nym (or another hero) dies. ;-)

martenzo: I checked the code. And the turn after you encounter Durstrag and Eloh, Nym should appear next to Kaleh. It's been working for me. Glad she appears at the end, but her absence does screw up the dialogue. Not sure why it isn't working for you. Try again with most recent version?

Edit: Mellow, I'm glad you liked the conversation between Kaleh, Eloh and Durestrag when the elves exit the caves. I worked hard to make it realistic and not over the top. I wanted Kaleh to seem justified in his actions, considering the very powerful forces that were opposing him.

P.S. I hope people who played scenario 7 liked the conclusion of the "cloaked figure" story arc. I hope it wasn't too disturbing or sappy for people. I haven't heard any comments about it, but the cloaked figure is one of my favorite characters in the campaign.
Last edited by quartex on May 31st, 2005, 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

0.4.3 has been released. I wanted to fix the holy water bug. And a small fix for scenario 7. Otherwise nothing big. You can download it from the campaign server.

0.4.3 changelog:

scenario 2:
-you can now pick up the holy water when it appears

scenario 7:
-event which fires when you kill the 3 humans exploring the caves now only fires when you kill those humans, instead of firing when you kill any 3 humans

-other minor changes to translations
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Note: If people playing scenario 2 don't want to start over from the beginning with the new version to get the holy water there is another option. Just move a unit to the hex (21,7). That should activate the holy water event. The problem was that I changed where the icon appeared, but forgot to change the hex where the item event fired at.