Under the Burning Suns

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MadMax

Post by MadMax »

The only way to make the recruitment cost of this happen would to have around three or four copies of the Shaman, with different recruitment costs. Then an [if] event would change the recruitment list to each particular shaman as more are recruited.

This would not go on forever, so you would have to eventually either let the increase stop or disable shaman recruitment altogether.

I do something similiar in FtF (Endgame).
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Thanks for the code Invisible Philospher, but I think I prefer to increase the costs based on the which scenario the player is on, instead of based on which units they recruit. That way it becomes part of the difficulty settings of the scenarios. And I like the idea of occasionally having the change in cost reflect the players actions, so they have some control, and can see the economic consequences of decisions they make. It also means that I only have to make a finite number of copies of each of the 5 units. Still your code is another example of how powerful WML can be.
theCAS

Post by theCAS »

Invisible Philosopher wrote:
quartex wrote:(I'm not sure it's possible to track how many shamans you recruit).
It is possible.
Great, then is also possible to allow recruiting only a limited number of units.

Why isn't this event listed in the wiki?
shortblondefuzzy

Post by shortblondefuzzy »

theCAS wrote:Quartex, congratulations for the campaign, very interesting so far.
I bet you read Garth Ennis' graphic novel "Pilgrim", am i right?
i think he's been listening to pink floyd, two suns in the sunset...
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Keep in mind that I'm not a developer, but -

Is it possible to override (already loaded) unit characteristics upon loading a scenario? If so, this could allow much greater flexibility in altering unit costs than creating multiple copies of a unit would.

If it isn't possible... maybe it should be.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
theCAS

Post by theCAS »

MadMax wrote:The only way to make the recruitment cost of this happen would to have around three or four copies of the Shaman, with different recruitment costs.
Or more easily use a recruit event and subtract 1 or more gold pieces from your treasure for each unit.

A message at level start can be displayed saying "Every unit will cost x gold more than displayed".
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

theCAS wrote:Why isn't this event listed in the wiki?
:shock: It is now!
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

theCAS wrote:
MadMax wrote:The only way to make the recruitment cost of this happen would to have around three or four copies of the Shaman, with different recruitment costs.
Or more easily use a recruit event and subtract 1 or more gold pieces from your treasure for each unit.

A message at level start can be displayed saying "Every unit will cost x gold more than displayed".
But then the recruitment list would still show a shaman as costing 18 gold.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Celestial

Post by Celestial »

wesnoth v0.8.10 I just tried the campaign (v0.2.3) and on the first scenario, I got some "invisible" elvish hunters. They are only visible to me when they are being attacked or are attacking. weird bug.

edit : btw, I read a bit the topic. GNU / linux and I don't have the libzipio compiled with wesnoth.
theCAS

Post by theCAS »

MadMax wrote:But then the recruitment list would still show a shaman as costing 18 gold.
Yes, but I think everybody will be able to do the math ;)

You can even save the additional gold and fire an event on the next turn as a reminder.
emdot

Images

Post by emdot »

Hello,

I think this topic may be of some interest to all players:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4597

Probably creation of such images can be automatized by WML (AFAIK there is some kind of interaction with system) - check if convert is available and proceed :)
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I just resent 0.2.3 to the campaign server. There was a bug that caused you to win on the second turn in scenario 4. I just got rid of it. So people should re-download 0.2.3 from the campaign server before playing scenario 4.

I haven't been posting new updates becuase I'm focusing all my energy into scenario 5. It's a complicated scenario and I am also rather busy with other parts of my life. So it will be a while before I can release it.
KK_r

Post by KK_r »

Celestial wrote:wesnoth v0.8.10 I just tried the campaign (v0.2.3) and on the first scenario, I got some "invisible" elvish hunters. They are only visible to me when they are being attacked or are attacking. weird bug.

edit : btw, I read a bit the topic. GNU / linux and I don't have the libzipio compiled with wesnoth.
How do you make the images work? I checked ~/.wesnoth/data/images and they are all there. Compiled without libzipio support.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Great campaign Quartex, and thanks for including my unit.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

KK_r wrote:
Celestial wrote:wesnoth v0.8.10 I just tried the campaign (v0.2.3) and on the first scenario, I got some "invisible" elvish hunters. They are only visible to me when they are being attacked or are attacking. weird bug.

How do you make the images work? I checked ~/.wesnoth/data/images and they are all there. Compiled without libzipio support.
I'm not sure what the issue is with custom images. I don't know Linux well enough to know if lib zipio support is a factor, but recent fixes in 0.8.10 seem to have made a difference with some users.

Celestial, a quick hack for your problem would be to go to my units/Desert_Hunter.cfg file and change the main image from a desert hunter to a human spearman, or some other image we know works and could be easily differentiated in the campaign. The animations would look ugly, but at least you could see the unit.

One suggestion I'm telling people is that if they can't see the images when they are in the Under_the_burning_suns/images/ folder, try copying all the images into the main wesnoth images folder. You'd have to put the images in the items, misc, and other sub-folders in the correct sub-folders in the main wesnoth image folder. But, if the problem is that Wesnoth isn't loading images from the campaign image folder, this might solve your problem. If the problem is that Wesnoth can't read my image files, then it won't help.