Under the Burning Suns

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Version 0.2.1 now available on the campaign server

-fixed bug that caused campaign to crash in Challenging or Hard difficulty
Arne Deprez

Post by Arne Deprez »

The images of Under the Burning Suns do not work (in wesnoth 0.8.10) (I use (GNU/)linux).
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

And the fun with custom images starts all over again. ;-)

Can anyone else running Linux confirm this? Are any other platforms having problems seeing custom images.

And perhaps most importantly, are you having problems viewing custom images just in my campaign, or in all campaigns? In the past it has been a problem with the application builds, not my code.

P.S. were you able to see custom images in the past with v0.8.9? If so, does the newest version of my campaign (v0.2.1) still work with 0.8.9?
fabi
Inactive Developer

Images and Linux

Post by fabi »

Hi Quartex, i used to have the same problem with all campaigns on Debian/Sarge.
Then i discovered a forum thread about non working images with the debian packages because during build time the libzipio stuff was enabled.
I don't use the debian packages but compile from cvs.
I checked and noticed that configure automatically had enabled libzipio support.
I didn't find a argument for configure to disable it, so deinstalled libzipio-dev recompiled and since then everything went fine with every campaign.
:-)
By the way, there is a little bug in your Campaign.
During the second level when this red mage had been rescued.
She self says something about nice to have a red mage with her.
But the message should be spoken by one of the elves ?

Greetings, Fabi
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Thanks Fabi. Glad you managed to fix the problem. I'll check that bug this evening and post an update.
shortblondefuzzy

Post by shortblondefuzzy »

don't know if you noticed, quartex, but you've gota screenshot on the wesnoth homepage. good work.

DG.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I did notice, and thank you. Although I think it's really becuase of how good frame's desert terrain is, I'm just lucky to have been designing a desert themed campaign when he released his new graphics.
fabi
Inactive Developer

wraith after ogres too hard

Post by fabi »

• Quartex wrote:
-changed wraith so that he always appears the turn after you defeat the castle ogres (instead of only at night)
I can't beat them anymore.
My little troop is hardly in the shape to defeat the ogres after nearly dying during the desert march.
In earlier versions they had a little time to rest and heal but now it is hopeless.
I also liked the old at night attack more because it was more spooky.

Greetings, Fabi
quartex
Inactive Developer

Re: wraith after ogres too hard

Post by quartex »

fabi wrote:I can't beat them anymore.
My little troop is hardly in the shape to defeat the ogres after nearly dying during the desert march.
In earlier versions they had a little time to rest and heal but now it is hopeless.
I also liked the old at night attack more because it was more spooky.

Greetings, Fabi
Fabi, hmm you have a point. Technically you don't even have to go to the castle, except that it is the last healing point. Since you've fought the undead raiders by the time you get to the castle, I understand why you could be wounded and need a few turns of healing before the wraith appears.

I changed it becuase someone was confusued when the wraith was supposed to appear, and I thought that people might not have time to wait around. Instead I think I'll add a message forshadowing his arrival at nightfall, in case players are confused.

Just to be sure, you are using the oasises to heal your units, right? Driving your units straight up the middle of the desert without stopping to heal would be very difficult. However some people have done it by recruiting lots of shamans. Even with healing at the oasis, this is a level where good placement of healers make a big difference.

I'll take your advice and turn it back to the way it was. By the way, do you find you're running out of time? What turn do you complete the scenario on? I want to time it so that people can go through all the encounters without running out of time.
fabi
Inactive Developer

scenario 2

Post by fabi »

• All quotes are from Quartex
I changed it becuase someone was confusued when the wraith was supposed to appear, and I thought that people might not have time to wait around. Instead I think I'll add a message forshadowing his arrival at nightfall, in case players are confused.
In my opinion you should be suprised by this undead, it makes a dense atmosphere fiting the rest of your "geile" campaign.
So the forshadowing should be very vague.
If someone is in a hurry and misses the wraith, so what ?
One problem missed out of many in this nice scenario.
Just to be sure, you are using the oasises to heal your units, right? Driving your units straight up the middle of the desert without stopping to heal would be very difficult. However some people have done it by recruiting lots of shamans. Even with healing at the oasis, this is a level where good placement of healers make a big difference.
Yes, i use the oasises often and long.
Healers are always nice to have, in every campaign.
But i was told to recruit only a few units at level start and when choosing more healers i can't hire enough units to protect them.
I thought if i loose all my gold for upkeep i have no chance in the next scenario.
This feels right, it makes sense in the situation the elves are in and it keeps you from just storming the desert with a big army.
Players dealing with the daily damage by recruiting lots of shamans and end wiht negative gold amount should be punished by only having a few new fresh units at beginning of scenario 3.
Another idea is that you have no keep at all like in the first scenario.
All survivers from there could appear at the starting place.
Under the burning suns is allready a very special campaign, why not break wiht the recruit/recall stuff entireally for the first half of the campaign.
I'll take your advice and turn it back to the way it was. By the way, do you find you're running out of time? What turn do you complete the scenario on? I want to time it so that people can go through all the encounters without running out of time.
If you had all units from level 1 automatically at start, you could reduce the maximum turns and force the player to begin a fast and bloody march.
The story often tells me that i have lost many elves, so let it really happen.
On "Challenging" i was able to finish the level just in time ( i had 3 or 5 turnes left ) but without the early wraith attack.
Greetings, Fabi
isaac
Inactive Developer

Post by isaac »

I'm having some problems with 0.2.1.

First of all, sometimes both ogre and scorpion ambushes happens at the same time, and it's really *bad* when this happens, may be you should take care of this.

Another problem, when two ogres were still alive, the "we have killed them all" dialog appeared.

And the third one, after killing the skeletons which attack Elyssa, Elyssa says something like: "You almost look like Elves", and then I have Elysaa saying: "We are, we're the Quenoth ..." which should be said by an elf.

Best regards
isaac
Inactive Developer

Post by isaac »

More bugs ... when I enter the mountains to fight orc and goblins.

When you get to the first outpost, the hidden troops appear *even if they have already been discovered*.

I get twice the message about "it's hard to fight in the caves ..., blah, blah".

And if I go directly into the village in the cave, the "Death incarnate" appears in the rock.
isaac
Inactive Developer

Post by isaac »

Another bug, you use "Goblin Impalier" instead of "Goblin Impaler" causing the scenario to exit (Descending into darkness)
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Thanks I found that too. I would strongly suggest not trying to beat "Descending into Darkness" until I release the updated version tonight. I've heard it's rather frusterating.
isaac
Inactive Developer

Post by isaac »

Yes, it's somewhat frustrating :P

I've just reached the end of the tunnel and nothings happens :o

Don't worry, it's a great campaign.

Thank you :)