Under the Burning Suns

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Imp

Post by Imp »

Out of the Frying Pan is easy. It's only hard when not playing on "Normal".

Anyway, interesting story, nice twists and turns.

You are right when you say only "Normal" difficulty is balanced. I found Normal incredibly easy (replays in my Wesnoth 1.2 Replays thread in Strategies - hope they work!), and nobody seems to have been able to beat Out of the Frying Pan on Challenging - let alone Hard! - without lots of save scumming. On "Normal", the messengers didn't even play a role since I killed the enemy leader the turn after they appeared.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

For the third scenario, I would suggest making at least +-1 turn random change on the timing of the surprise events. This would greatly increase the replay value. Also, there might be two possible places, decided randomly, where the orcs appear.

If anyone has beaten the fourth scenario with default gold (normal difficulty), I'd be intersted in seeing the replay. I'm so stuck with it, after trying at least dozen times with different strategies, that I'm going to increase my startup gold.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Altruist

Praise

Post by Altruist »

After 14 days of joyful playing, I've just finished the campaign Under the Burning Suns as it comes with Wesnoth 1.2.1

I played it on difficulty level medium and allied with the Trolls.

And I must say: what a wonderful, creative, exciting, balanced campaign.

Looking back onto the whole campaign there isn't really anything which I can remember to criticise. On the contrary, after having played a lot of the campaigns, this is surely one of my favourite.

Thanks a lot. It's as great and well done that it would be worth publishing as a game even completly on its own.
Karo

Post by Karo »

My only gripe is the fact that they settle on a tropical island. Being a fan of the Dune series, I was hoping that the final location would be another oasis, more lush than the first, where there is still a desert to mold the elves into being as tough as they are now. Otherwise they turn back into forest pansies. *Gets smacked.* Except now they're TROPICAL forest pansies. Welcome to the Caribbean life. *Gets smacked again.*

Edit: Actually, the tropical island idea isn't THAT bad, but I still wish there was something to preserve the toughness of the Quenoth elves.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I would also like to point out that the Finnish translation is completely incomplete (maybe like 1/5th), and shouldn't be included in the release.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
esperandus

Well done

Post by esperandus »

Thanks for creating such a wonderful campaign. Not quite done, but it is already evident that it is magnificent.

I would like to say that the difficulty is well balanced. I played through the campaign on hard, and - playing very carefully and thinking through each move like it was a chess game - made it through the campaign up to 'out of the frying pan' only reverting to a save once or twice per scenario (dont like doing it, messes with the continuity). I did play through the game generally with a negative cash balance, and all of the characters I used were level 3. In 'out of the frying pan...' I had six characters only , start to end, and it was quite hard indeed. The trick was to focus on stopping the messenger using 1 character (a desert star) and then assassinating the sergeant -and to realize just how ridiculously powerful the charaters were offensively in the desert vs the humans and not play so conservatively. When I finished the mission al of my characters were badly wounded or near death, but none had died. I probably had to reload from autosaves 10 times for that mission at first because all of my characters were in the wrong spot in the caves, and the later because I foolishly played conservatively and let the messenger get away (paranoia). But I usually find wesnoth scenarios really easy once my characters are strong and must say bravo for the balance.
Imp

Post by Imp »

Can you post the replay?
jeremywosborne

Background notes of Under the Burning Suns

Post by jeremywosborne »

Quartex,

I started writing this in this forum because I wanted to see if you have any background notes on this campaign you'd be willing to share.

I want to chronicle this at:

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesnothHistory

I've caught what I think is the correct information for a basic timeline here.... heck I'll just PM, probably the more appropriate thing to do.

(But if you do read this and have background info on Under the Burning Suns, please PM me, don't post to this thread, I might not catch it.)
ajf

Post by ajf »

I really liked the campaign. Thank you 8)

But there seem to be some problems (i am using Wesnoth 1.3.2):
After becoming an stone-statue my druid (its zhul right, i am so bad with names) never recovered. And did not appear in any following scenario anymore, but from the conversations between the other characters i conclude she should have come back, right? (was quite hard to succed in the last scenario without her.) Additional there seems to be "gaps" in the conversations, probably zhul should have said something at this places.

A minor problem was, that sometimes the german translation did not completly fit in the boxes and the end of the text was missing.
daedalos

Post by daedalos »

I experienced an error at the end of the second scenario (Wesnoth version 1.3.3): When the outlaw leader appears north of the mountain I have to reach, he is put under my control and not the AI's. I was wondering why he wasn't recruiting when I realized that I could move him around.

I really liked the story and concept of the campaign and would like to thank you for it :D
ponkan

Post by ponkan »

Great campaign, got up to "In the Domain of the Dwarves" last time I played, I think it was Wesnoth 1.2, but could have been earlier. Restarted with 1.3.2, and up to "Descending Into Darkness" at the moment -- "A Stirring in the Night" left me with negative gold, so I got the default starting gold on the scenario. Ouch!

One thing, the scorpion encounter in the second scenario doesn't trigger properly in Hard -- the script calls 3 scorpions regarless of difficulty, adds an additional 2 if in medium, an additional scorpion if in hard. The problem is that in hard the medium scorpions don't trigger, so you only get 4 scorpions, and ring doesn't properly trigger.

Really enjoying the campaign. The altered day/night cycle is really interesting, as are the little changes you've made to the elven units -- got quite a shock when I saw that Desert Fighters get 2-3 on ranged, and the Shamans only level into Druids.

I'm going to keep trying and trolling the forums for the answer I need on winning this scenario.

BTW, the walkthrough page says that Marksmen and Sharpshooters have backstab, when it's the Rangers and Avengers that do.

EDIT: I like how the difficulty isn't only ramped up by giving the AI more gold. Recruitment options, gold, income, and the other things you put in the WML to make things more challenging are all welcome.
There is no good, nor evil. Things are; that is all.
qweo

Post by qweo »

First of, quartex, thanks for the great campaign, perhaps the best (and in my opinion the best) campaign of Wesnoth.

The reason of this message is the following note at end of UTBS description:
CAMPAIGN IS UNDER RECONSTRUCTION. SOME SCENARIOS MAY DIFFER FROM WHAT YOU REMEMBER, BE UNBALANCED OR ALLTOGETHER UNPLAYABLE.
FEEDBACK IN FORUMS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Can you explain, what "campaign reconstruction" means? Especially, does it mean, that the translations that done or in progress at present, will became irrelevant soon?

Thanks.
Manwe-the-Great

BROKEN: mission 2 - Harsh Sands

Post by Manwe-the-Great »

Greetings all!
I have been a huge fan of this campaign, ever since I first discovered it.
I'm not sure if this bug has been noticed already, but I am posting it now.

On mission 2: Across the Harsh Sands, very interesting change. I must say, it is more convenient than having to cluster my units around Zhul & her shamans :) .
However, when I reached the first oasis, nothing happened. The attack strength of my units remained weakened, & then weakened further once I left. So basically, all my units had 0 melee attack by the time we reached Elyssa & her "friends".
I tried some quick hacking, to remove the dehydration damage entirely, but the campaign really didn't like it, & it didn't work anyway :(

I am reloading the game & campaign again, to see if I might have caused the bug. I will keep you posted. Farewell, & thank again! Great campaign :D
dthurston

Re: BROKEN: mission 2 - Harsh Sands

Post by dthurston »

Manwe-the-Great wrote: However, when I reached the first oasis, nothing happened. The attack strength of my units remained weakened, & then weakened further once I left.
This is bug #9607 on Gna (https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?9607). I put a patch to fix the problem there. I also attach a copy of the necessary .cfg here; unzip it and put it in data/campaigns/Under_the_Burning_Suns/scenarios.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: BROKEN: mission 2 - Harsh Sands

Post by zookeeper »

dthurston wrote:
Manwe-the-Great wrote: However, when I reached the first oasis, nothing happened. The attack strength of my units remained weakened, & then weakened further once I left.
This is bug #9607 on Gna (https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?9607). I put a patch to fix the problem there. I also attach a copy of the necessary .cfg here; unzip it and put it in data/campaigns/Under_the_Burning_Suns/scenarios.
Thanks, I've applied this (with some minor modification) to the second scenario. Did that attachment contain all the fixes you've made (as the attachments on gna were broken)?