[Historical] Liberty

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Scott - great campaign. Good feel, and ties in well with HttT.

Saw your clarification on why my peasants turn into outlaws - I guess it makes sense. Only 1 last thing: the lvl 3 outlaws don't seem to have AMLA enabled. Also, when I advance them from lvl 2 to 3, I have the choice of getting additional 3 HP or becoming the lvl 3 version. I guess that is because the program thinks that AMLA and the lvl 3 version are branches.
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire
bloom

Post by bloom »

scott wrote:Hello! Liberty 1.14 has been released.

Here is what has changed:
- New Russian, Catalan, and Dutch translations
(...)
I made the dutch translation, but it doesn't seem to work. Probably because it isn't included :wink: There is no campaigns/Liberty/translations/nl directory (there is an empty brazilian portuguese translation included in stead??).
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

I claim that this is in no way related to the fact that I didn't commit the compiled translation into WesCamp until a moment ago... :oops: :wink:
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
bloom

Post by bloom »

torangan wrote:I claim that this is in no way related to the fact that I didn't commit the compiled translation into WesCamp until a moment ago... :oops: :wink:
Ok, thanks for solving that :)
scott

Post by scott »

I have been making quiet updates as translations come in. I'll go do this one now.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Ave

Post by Ave »

This campaign still has buggy units:
Huntsman.cfg: shallow water=2
Huntsman_peasant.cfg: shallow water=2
Trapper_peasant.cfg: swamp water=50
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Good afternoon!

Sorry for a mostly pointless message, but I wanted to point out that the Thug has been changed to deal 5-4 damage, while the Thug_peasant still deals 6-3.

It's not big, but it does mean the units change their stats between (if I remember correctly) scenario no2 and scenario no3.

There's also a few other things. Highwayman_Peasant deals 12-4 and Highwayman deals 11-4, etc...

Nice campaign, by the way. It's nice to have shorter campaigns too.
scott

Post by scott »

Thank you gentlemen. I am on it.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
dtw

Post by dtw »

Hallo scott,

I finally got round to giving this one a go :) I am using the latest code from SVN the game quits while loading the 3rd scenario because a saurian units is missing - I assume it was one of the ones that went with the clean up of the Triton etc :)
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
scott

Post by scott »

dibblethewrecker wrote:Hallo scott,

I finally got round to giving this one a go :) I am using the latest code from SVN the game quits while loading the 3rd scenario because a saurian units is missing - I assume it was one of the ones that went with the clean up of the Triton etc :)
Well same reply to you then. Thanks. I should have 1.15 up by Halloween.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
scott

Post by scott »

Version 1.15 has been released. It fixes the bugs listed in the above posts.

If any artist would like to draw a portrait of Halstead, I would very much appreciate it. The portrait would be displayed as story art at 400-600 pixels wide. I'm looking for a picture that conveys just the exact impression for the place, and I'll know it when I see it. My own attempts haven't worked out.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Good afternoon!

Liberty is clearly one of my favorite campaigns in Wesnoth (arguably, it inspired me a little for my own attempt at one). I've played it on easy and am re-playing it on medium.

I know it's very late down the road, I just wanted to make a few (minor) suggestions:

For scenario no1, I think it would be nice if the Dalben garrison pops out when a friendly ennemy gets close (the idea being that you would send one of your guys ahead to sound the alarm).

It's just that, right now, you get two free thugs for playing badly and letting the ennemy too close... Which is more, it would actually give Harper something to do.

In scenario no2, a tiny bit more text might be good. I mean, I really don't get why the villagers revolt. Tarwen just comes up and says Baldras needs to come for vetting, then they start to fight...

Maybe my english isn't good enough (not my native tongue), but when Tarwen tells Baldras to come with him, it doesn't suggest the onset of tyranny to me; it just suggests a bureaucratic formality. Aggravating, but really, really not worth fighting (or dying) over.

Perhaps a more in-depth explanation of what sparked off the revolt would be nice.

This isn't much, but I find scenario no6 loses a lot of atmosphere on easy by not having at least fog. Maybe if the difficulty change was different...

Just an idea I'd like to throw out there.

Footpads are 95% useless in Liberty. Footpads are classic MP scouts : relatively fast, useful in MP, useless in fighting, practically useless in campaigns.

Something I've done on my home version of Wesnoth was give skirmisher to the footpads. I naturally also added skirmisher to the village youths, and to the fugitive.

They still aren't tough fighting units, but they're interesting auxiliaries now with a certain degree of strategic depth to them. I've found that this makes them interesting support units in Liberty.

As I said, this a more 'throwaway' type idea as Liberty sticks much more to standard Wesnoth than other campaigns, but I think it could be fun if footpads in Liberty were actually custom footpads which would have skirmisher.

In any case, it's a great campaign...
nightscout

Post by nightscout »

libety wipes the floor with all the other campains except heir to the thrones theyre even my thx for a great campain to the creator but im stuck on lvl um...i think 8 where u meet up with other outlaws in the forest i cant beat the lichs i beat 2 and then run out of turns for the last one
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Casual User wrote:Footpads are 95% useless in Liberty. Footpads are classic MP scouts : relatively fast, useful in MP, useless in fighting, practically useless in campaigns.
That's a question of your fighting style. True, they don't cause much damage but they're hard to hit. When I played Liberty, I used just about no Thugs but lots of Footpads. Got me up to the final level as well...
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
scott

Post by scott »

Nightscout and Casual User,

Thanks for the good reviews. I don't know when I'll be able to give Liberty the proper attention it deserves. Even keeping it square with 1.0.2 has been a challenge for me.

I'll look into the dialog for the 2nd scenario. Everything needs to be exaggerated in a campaign because you get so little time to communicate plot to the player. I can see how the dialog might not be explicit enough to get the point across. Tarwen basically says he will use lethal force if he has to in order to make Baldras comply, and the villagers all decide to defend Baldras.

The Gray Woods has always been difficult to balance correctly. Nightscout, just recruit, recruit, recruit. A nice thing about outlaws is that they swarm well. Atmosphere is also important, and I'll consider the difficulty.

Also, if you have balancing feedback, esp on hard, I would appreciate it. It's difficult for me to balance it since I know all the tricks too well.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.