The South Guard

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Development Team
Battle for Wesnoth

The South Guard

Post by Development Team »

This is the main development thread for the mainline campaign The South Guard. The original first post for this thread follows.
aelius wrote:Wesnoth is quite a game, especially for an effort put together by volunteers! I've been impressed by the excellent campaigns already included in the game, and thought I'd try my hand at adding one.

Most of the campaigns so far are epics. The South Guard takes place on a (relatively) quite portion of the Wesnoth frontier. The commander, Halrad, is just a soldier in the army of Wesnoth doing his duty in difficult circumstances. Hopefully this will be an interesting change from the other save-the-whole-world campaigns.

I am intending the campaign to be for players new to the game. It should be very easy on easy, and very playable on normal and hard. I'd appreciate any balancing advice you'd care to give. Three of the eight scenarios are complete, and the fourth is well under way.

I've shamelessly modified the horseman graphic to make my hero, so thanks and credit to whomever did the excellent original art.

- b.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

that was unexpected. Most people create a presence at the forums before posting campaigns. :)

I've downloaded it, and i'll give you my opinion once i play it. One comment, though... Halrad seems like an obvious and annoying combination of Haldric and Konrad. Could you change it? ;)

[edit]
I tried it with 0.8.3, and it was buggy. here is a version that works (for me).
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
aelius

Post by aelius »

Thanks for taking a look at it...

I've been reading the forum for about a month and figured i'd try and add something from the beginning.

I'm using 0.8.2 on OS X (which probably explains why it's buggy in 0.8.3 and why I'm using .zip)

I'm definitely open for suggestions for a better name for the hero - Halrad was basically me typing random keys.

- b.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Take names from the Random Name Generator. Thats how i got my names. (actually i took them from units i advanced, which happened to be the same as some in the name generator).

One thing to note is that you shouldn't capitalize units/, images/, scenarios/, or maps/. At least that is the most common method, and i think campaigns should be standard in their arrangement, if thats what you call it.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Circon

Post by Circon »

Playing it now. Very nice campaign. I've added it to http://wesnoth.slack.it/?UserScenarios, now go and tweak that page.

Congratulations :D
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I was really disappointed when he leveled into a Knight... is this planned to be changed?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
aelius

Post by aelius »

Yes, I'm working on modifying the graphics for a Knight Commander. I may or may not let him level into a Grand Knight Commander. What do people think?

I'll try and have an updated version up tonight with the changes turin suggested and maybe the unit stats for a knight commander if not all the graphics.

- b.
Shade

Hey

Post by Shade »

Hey! Welcome to the forums!
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
Ewan

Bug - Ethiliel nonexistent

Post by Ewan »

First - this is fun; thanks (I'm running the download given above as 'runs for me' - didn't try the original).

Second, bugs to report. Major: Ethiliel does not appear, so that (i) the speech attributed to him (?) is not seen, and then he is not present in Near Lake Kerumbar (which is where I am now, and having looked at the save-game I just created, it seems unlikely to be winnable without the appropriate aid).

Minorish: save-games appear to be corrupt (unreloadable) in some scenarios. now, this is a cool effect to block saveloading :) but likely not intentional. I don't have any clue why it should be. And, I think I recall seeing "Walking Dead" instead of "walking corpse" as an available unit type - hence it never got chosen by the AI.

All of this under OS 10.3.4, Wesnoth 0.8.3.
Circon

Post by Circon »

Confirming both bugs- Etheliel is due to the following: Your scenario calls to "sg-macros" while the file is titled "sg_macros".
And Walking Dead do not exist, should be Walking Corpse.

Nice work, keep it up, and edit that page I showed you... It's yours now.

YOU ROCK!
Elvish_Pillager

I've been playing in Hard, and it's not that hard compared to other campaigns. In 'Retaking Westin',

-In Easy, Urza's recruitment should probably be 'Thug,Footpad' instead of 'Thug,Poacher'. The poachers are kind of nasty on your leader.

-[recall] role=Advisor [/recall] makes little sense when it is followed up by a message with speaker=Sir Huff. it should be [recall] description=Sir Huff [/recall].

-Urza should probably get a set amount of gold when he starts recruiting undead, to prevent having him waste all his money on outlaws and thus not recruit any.

-'descripion =Halrad' has an extra space.

EDIT I forgot to mention, this campaign is great! It's nice being able to play simple fighters once in a while...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
aelius

Post by aelius »

First off, thanks for taking the time to play my humble scenarios! I really appreciate the comments and advice.

I'm downloading Wesnoth 0.8.3 now which should help me fix some of the version related bugs, I hope.

Pillager,
I've taken your advice about easy, but now Urza recruits 'Thief,Footpad'. I want there to be some non-impact weapons to keep Deoran (the new name for the hero) from running roughshod over everyone, after all he's not supposed to be a super-hero. Do you think his stats are too powerful with the three charges?

My plan is to gradually introduce units to let people get a handle on their strengths and weaknesses. It was frustrating to me when I started playing the game figuring out what attacks were good against what units. For example, the fourth scenario pits spearmen and bowmen against skeletons and skeleton archers for a while. It's a tough fight until Ethiliel brings a wose or two to the battle, which really shows off the differences in the attack types.

Hopefully I'll have a 0.2 up tonight!

- b.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

3 times charge? I'd give him a skill defined per weapon;
charge/first strike work best for spears and lances
backstab for blade
and impact...is normaly just very strong =)
aelius

Post by aelius »

Sorry - what I wrote wasn't clear. His attack is a pierce. I think it's 6x3 charge if I recall. It might be 5x3. He only has one attack (just like horsemen!).

- b.
Elvish_Pillager

BUGS, BUGS, BUGS!!!!

-In Retaking Westin, nobody says "But will the elves agree to help us?"
-In Finding the Elves, Urza Fastik recruits nothing but Footpads. add "Fighter" to his recruitment_pattern.
-In Finding the Elves, the Elves do not appear and thus do not speak. The only cause I can think of is that there is extra space in the macro usage, which has caused me problems in the past.
-None of the [role] tags include level 3 units. Why can't my Royal Guards talk?
-Walking Dead don't exist, you want Walking Corpses.