The South Guard

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

aelius

Post by aelius »

Changes in version 0.2

1. The hero is now named Deoran.
2. I've incorporated Turin's changes for 0.8.3 (which I'm now using).
3. Fictitious Walking Dead are now Walking Corpses.
4. Some bandit recruitment better balanced, as Pillager suggested.
5. Fighter added to Urza Fastik's recruitment pattern.
6. Various dialog bugs fixed.

For some reason, whenever I try and load a saved game it's corrupted. I've done a quick search of the fora and haven't found anything, so I'll keep looking... If anyone has ideas, lemme know!

Tomorrow's the first day of school (I'm a Latin teacher) so I may not get much done for a day or two. Again, thanks for looking at my piddly little offering!

- b.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

cool. :P

this is, i think, one of the better non-official campaigns i've seen. I'll have to download the new version soon.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
aelius

Post by aelius »

Maybe someone can help me with what I'm wrestling with right now. In "Near Lake Kerumbar" I'm wrestling with some WML.

What I want to happen is the first time one of your units with an attack type of pierce attacks some sort of skeleton (i.e. skeleton,skeleton archer,bone shooter,revenant,soul shooter) an event is triggered.

Code: Select all

[filter]
		side=1
		type=Spearman,Pikeman,Halbardier,Bowman,Longbowman,Master Bowman,Horseman Commander
	[/filter]
	[filter_second]
		type=Skeleton,Skeleton Archer, Revenant, Bone Shooter, Soul Shooter
	[/filter_second]
is how I'm doing this now, but that's sort of unsatisfying because the archer units can attack with swords which are blade type damage. I've looked at the wiki, but I haven't found a way to filter based on attack type...

- b.[/code]
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

No way to do it currently.
And I thought pierce did no damage due to skeleton's lack of vital organs. Skeleton bones aren't any stronger than normal bones...

Edit: a version that is more 0.8.3 compatible, plus some bugfixes and documentation.

I hope you don't mind this :)
Last edited by Dacyn on September 8th, 2004, 10:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
aelius

Post by aelius »

I've changed the dialogue to something that I suppose makes more sense with the skeletons. Good call.

From what I could see, the change you made was that you moved the deaths into the campaign file itself as a preprocessor command. Is there any reason this is preferred in 0.8.3? I rather like the simpler smaller campaign file.

Do I mind the help? Hey - if Mark McGwire, Barry Bonds, Greg Maddux, and Carlos Zambrano came to help me with my baseball would I mind? I love the help!

- b.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Yeah this campaign does look pretty cool :)

The maps are nicely designed, something which isn't easy.

I would definitely recommend this campaign to someone who wants a lesiurely, but quality challenge.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

aelius wrote:From what I could see, the change you made was that you moved the deaths into the campaign file itself as a preprocessor command.
That was one of the changes. Another was changing all leftover instances of 'Halrad' to 'Deoran', etc.
aelius wrote:Is there any reason this is preferred in 0.8.3?
You were missing a directory name with '~' in it, and I thought it was simpler to do what I did than to copy the macros and put '~' in front of half of them. However if you like it the other way you can of course change it back... you should put

Code: Select all

{campaigns/South_Guard/sg_deaths.cfg}
{~campaigns/South_Guard/sg_deaths.cfg}
in place of '{SG_DEATHS}'.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Big problem: Missing [/unit] tag in the {ELVISH_GUARD} macro!
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Big problem: Missing [/unit] tag in the {ELVISH_GUARD} macro!
yeah... I have edited my original post; hopefully there are no more bugs...
Elvish_Pillager

EDIT: Horseman_Commander.cfg needs the line 'id=Horseman Commander'.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Elvish_Pillager

Near Lake Kerumbar is unfinished, right? Otherwise, I'd complain that there's no way to win and that Mebrin's village does nothing... anyway, shouldn't the label be at 31,32 instead of 29,31?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Oh btw a small problem with the zip file was that all the directory names such as 'units', 'scenarios', etc, had the first letter capitalized. This causes problems on systems with case-sensitive file systems.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
sanna

Post by sanna »

If anyone has had trouble with savegames in South Guard, see turins thread on Saving Elensefar: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3072, same problem in South Guard.
aelius

Post by aelius »

Thanks for the heads up - I just saw the fix in turin's thread, and I've implemented it in South Guard. Should be a new release late tonight with lots of bug fixes and improvements.

- b.
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

COOL !!!
Do you already know how many scenarios will the campaing have?
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D