The South Guard

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

aelius

Post by aelius »

For some reason it appears that the whole recall list disappears between Into the Depths and Vengeance. Odd. I can't see anything in the WML that would do that.

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Just finished this one on hard(1.2.1). Overall an interesting campaign. Some remarks:
1) in the Finding the elves(3rd scenario) the bandits can roam through the elvish citadel(even though they don't need to). Storywise this looks bad(the elves tolerate the bandits and are ready to shoot the hero when he finally makes it? Makes little sense
2) Mermen are useless after the second scenario, so one might as well dump them
3) In the depths, one should make sure to avoid going straight. If you do this with a "must not die" hero, you are trapped and lose.
The trolls are not really much help, probably just compensation for taking
away my 400+ gold I had at the end of the choice in the fog and giving me just 100 for the showdown. I said I'd pay the trolls, but at the end I won even though I did not have 100 gold.
4) On the way back with Sir Gerrick, there is no indication who is the Naga queen. The Ogre just chats but does not attack or anything and the
turn limit is probably too tight if you want to attack him.
5) Finally vengeance is too weird a scenario: In the choice in the fog, I chose to go with the elves and you still get this attack? Plus strategywise this looks silly: Just let your troops be slaughtered shielding Ethiliel
If you kill even one enemy then a new elf makes it to the tree before Ethiliel and just sits there(at least enough to ensure your loss), meaning you lose. You could have had the same story ending without this scenario,
I think.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

i'm working on an L0 unit, the "Ruffian": a weak club-wielder that upgrades to a thug or footpad. I think it would be rather useful for the first 2-3 levels to give the "easy" or "medium" player something weak to milk for XP. As of now the initial levels feel rather empty on "easy."

Level 3 has a rather odd dynamic. The first 6-10 turns have no combat, because the AI is drawn away by all the villages. There are very few foes between you and the leader. I'm not good at balancing a map, but i think this would be more fun if:
1) most of the elven villages were removed, and/or
2) some foes had a start position closer to Deoran and/or were programed to go straight for him.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

I wonder: why does every campaign have one, or several, lame tunnel-fight scenarios with barely an option besides "let's hope that the luck is with me" - fighting hp-draining or regenerating units in tunnels without any relevant terrain, one on one, depends on luck and only on luck.
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
St.John

Post by St.John »

i guess the missing elf isnt just cause im on a mac then? everyone has it...:(
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

St.John wrote:i guess the missing elf isnt just cause im on a mac then? everyone has it...:(
That's should be resolved in the latest stable version: 1.2.4. — for all platforms.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
karsten

Post by karsten »

Hi. I have started playing this campaign on 1.2.4 and I ran into the bug where your recall list gets filled up with dupes whenever you save and load the game after you have finished the "Choice In The Fog" scenario and moved on to "Tidings, Good and Ill", although it first manifests in "Into The Depths", because only there you can recall units again. Somebody wrote that this bug is fixed in 1.3.2, but I'd have to redo it from the start. I'd rather like to fix my savegames because I doubt that this is really fixed in 1.3.2 (because then it should already work when I'm starting from the "Choice In The Fog" scenario and that's not the case).

So if anybody has played this campaign in 1.3.2 and has savegames for the three scenarios, then please post them as attachments here, so I can find out how to fix older savegames.

Thanks!
waldol1

Post by waldol1 »

I must say that its an excellent campaign-well balanced even the cave level. I first played through on medium and had not problems choosing to side with the elves. I'm just going to assume that when Elthiel gets attacked in the last scenario it is supposed to end (cause thats what happened to me).

My sister was playing through the campaign on easy and sided with the bandits and was playing through the Pebbles in the Flood scenario where your basically just supposed to hold out for as long as possible. As soon as I saw the unique objectives I told my sister to move over so I could play it. Well I found this scenario very difficult, but beatable. I managed to level the initial horseman into a paladin, and an initial Lt to a grand marshal and various footpads and thugs into their lvl 2s and managed to defeat both enemy leaders on turn 120. or so. There doesn't really seem to be code to handle that situation.

Another thing is I found a bug. One time I was moving a footpad into attacking an enemy (the one step way where you just click the enemy) and with one hex between the two my footpad stopped because he had discovered an enemy in the fog. It briefly flashed the "press t to keep moving" text, but then the attack screen flashed briefly and the footpad attacked while there was a hex between them. I know this is an old feature thats just been gotten rid of, but I thought you might want to know that it happened.

I am playing version 1.3.6
qk
Inactive Developer

Post by qk »

Can maintainer or some who good know this campaign look, if this https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?9905 is expected or it is bug?
esr
Retired Developer

Making mermen more useful

Post by esr »

I've added a minor tributary river passing near Deoran's camp in "A Choice In The Fog"; this means you can now actually use mermen for scouting to the southeast, where a lot of the action is. The river is shallow and has fords at several points, so it should not otherwise interfere with movement.
karsten

Post by karsten »

qk, when I asked about both my bugs around May in the IRC channel which I have now submitted to the bugtracker, I was told it sounds like a bug. The consensus was "the WML used in that campaign is very old and probably outdated, the campaign would have to be redone with the current WML specs". Since this didn't happen so far and I think that for a campaign which is promoted as "the beginner campaign" it's important that those things should get fixed, I filed the bugs now.
Eroyn

Post by Eroyn »

Hi, I play on version 1.3.1...

I have bugs on the "Vengeance" scenario :

First I can't recall my veterans...

And... Ethiliel does NOT appear on the map. So that I can't fulfill the objectives at the moment.

Any idea ? T_T

Thanks ;)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

A huge big pile of bugfixes and other changes were done between 1.3.7 and 1.3.8. Due to this, any reports about bugs in versions older than 1.3.8 are most likely rather useless, so if possible, please test with and report bugs in the 1.3.8 version (or later) only.
Low_Pressure

Post by Low_Pressure »

Version 1.3.13. In the beginning of the Proven by the Sword scenario appears a message that the savegame is corrupted. I re-played it a few times, but nothing changed :(

I think i'd better download the last stable version.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Low_Pressure wrote:Version 1.3.13. In the beginning of the Proven by the Sword scenario appears a message that the savegame is corrupted. I re-played it a few times, but nothing changed :(
This bug affects several campaigns, and is already fixed (the fix will be in 1.3.14).