The South Guard

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

aelius

Post by aelius »

I'm planning on keeping it a 1.0 campaign, if only because I haven't yet figured out how to get 1.1 for OS X...

Scott, I've got some translation questions if you get a chance. gdou generously translated my campaign into French, but I can't get it to appear in the game. How do I get from having a directory with .po files to one with .mo files?

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
Eldarion
Translator

Post by Eldarion »

Well, you need to create a folder called translations in your campaign folder. After that you need to create the desired two letter folder (for Frensh it's fr) and in this folder a folder called LC_MESSAGES. Place the mo file in this folder and it should work.

I just noticed that there is a WML error in the campaign cfg file, preventing the translations from working.

You used [text_domain] instead of [textdomain]. I don't know if this has changed after 1.0, but you said, you use 1.0, so I guess it is an error.

And just to inform you: I started translating you campaign into German.
Vikram

We get stuck in Into the Depths

Post by Vikram »

Hi,

I just started playing the game, and my girlfriend and I love it. We started off with The South Guard, since we're complete beginners.

We got totally stuck in Into The Depth. We have found Trolls, and they are friendly to us after a promise of 75 gold. We have also destroyed the back-wall, and tried really hard to kill the Lich. However, the lich is Level 4, and impossible to kill with even a combination of my strongest forces.

We are not sure if we are supposed to kill the lich (since the scenario objective doesn't say so explicitly). We've looked over the cave and couldn't find an exit. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

If required, we'd be happy to post replays from any part of the scenario.

We're using Wesnoth version 1.0.2, South Guard version 1.0.1 on Debian Linux x86. We're playing on the simple (medium) level of difficulty.

Great game, people, and great scenario. My girlfriend and I have happily spent many hours attacking thugs.

Vikram
aelius

Post by aelius »

I'm glad you're enjoying it. Into the Depths is probably the hardest scenario. You can win by getting Deoran around the lich, though that is difficult. By Into the Depths you should hopefully have a couple of level 3 units with which to whomp the lich. If you can get Minister Hylas to be a Mage of Light he's very effective too.

Another thing you can do, if you're stuck, is to choose differently in Choice in the Fog. The campaign plays out entirely differently if you show mercy to the bandits.

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
ozymandias

Post by ozymandias »

I've had some success using merman netcasters here, as they still have that nice 60% cold res in 1.0.
purtill

Post by purtill »

I've been playing this at the hard level, with wesnoth 1.0.2 (on gentoo linux). It's quite good for a beginner (as oppsed to some of the other campaigns that are supposed to be for beginners but become impossible a few scenarios in even at easy level).

But I ran into a problem: After I side with the bandits in Choice in the Fog, and they find the yellow necromancer, the next scenario (The Long March) doesn't load; I get the error message: "error general: The game could not be loaded: load_game_failed: Invalid starting position (0,0) for the leader of side 3." Any ideas on how to proceed?
purtill

Post by purtill »

Here's a saved game that gives the error when I try to load it.
Attachments
The_Long_March.zip
Saved game
(4.13 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
Etain

Post by Etain »

Yeah same thing happened 2 me as well! And just as the campaign was hotting up...... :(
Nerdanel

Post by Nerdanel »

I was bitten by this too but solved or "solved" it. I edited the scenario file 6b.The_Long_March.cf6 to comment out the side 3 leader that was being put into an illegal place a.k.a. being explicitly put nowhere at all and replaced him with "no_leader=yes". I saw no undead units in the scenario at all, so I may have broken something, but at least I was able to play...
Etain

Post by Etain »

Hey thanx. That worked fine for me
luciano

translations do not work for 'The South Guard'

Post by luciano »

Hi all, I'm translating the campaign to Italian, and I've found that the translation does not work with the campaign version I'm currently using.

I'm not sure if the current version has been fixed, but if not, can somebody please change the

[text_domain]
[/text_domain]

tags with the correct

[textdomain]
[/textdomain] pair in the "The_South_Guard.cfg" file?

Thank you in advance,
Luciano
ben

Post by ben »

I ran into the same problem, and I figured out what's going on. The undead leader is side 3, side 2 is the friendly bandit. But the keep which should be assigned to side 3 is instead given to side two. Here's my edited map for the senario, which fixes the problem; all that's different about it is that I changed the '2' to a '3.' Drop it in the maps folder for the campaign and it should do the trick

I played the scenario on hard, and the balancing on it isn't so good. If Minister Hyelas isn't level 3 by this scenario the bats chew him up, and there's pretty much nothing you can do unless you get lucky. You don't have enough units to block, and there aren't any villages along the suggested route where he can recover.

Otherwise, though, it's a good and well-written campaign.
Attachments
The_Long_March.txt
(1.76 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
EricDerKonig

Post by EricDerKonig »

I encountered a similar problem, except I sided with the Elves, and got a "The game could not be loaded: load game failed: unit not found: Sea Hag" after the disappearing Lich/pick a side scenario.
Playing Wesnoth 1.1
scott

Post by scott »

EricDerKonig wrote:I encountered a similar problem, except I sided with the Elves, and got a "The game could not be loaded: load game failed: unit not found: Sea Hag" after the disappearing Lich/pick a side scenario.
Playing Wesnoth 1.1
The Sea Hag doesn't exist in 1.1.

This campaign is intended to be played with 1.0.x only. Perhaps enough demand and adulation could encourage the author to make the campaign 1.1 compatible.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
EricDerKonig

Post by EricDerKonig »

aelius wrote:I'm planning on keeping it a 1.0 campaign, if only because I haven't yet figured out how to get 1.1 for OS X...

Scott, I've got some translation questions if you get a chance. gdou generously translated my campaign into French, but I can't get it to appear in the game. How do I get from having a directory with .po files to one with .mo files?

- b.
Could you update it for 1.1? Pretty, pretty please? :)