Liberty

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Joram

Re: Liberty

Post by Joram »

I never know where to post questions/comments about a mainline campaign. :augh:

Anyway, here I am. Not wishing to start an argument, since my opinion really doesn't matter, but I thought I'd lodge a minor complaint over changing Relnan to a female. I simply feel that a man fits the role better. There is a camaraderie that develops between men thrown in tough situations with each other over and over again that just doesn't happen the same way when there's a woman involved. Relnan and Baldric struck me as old friends who had been through it all together. The message at the end reinforced that. Now... it's somewhat spoiled. :(

Since I haven't even played the campaign with said changes, there's all the more reason to ignore me. :mrgreen:
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Joram wrote:Relnan and Baldric struck me as old friends who had been through it all together. The message at the end reinforced that. Now... it's somewhat spoiled. :(
Baldras, not Baldric.

After playing the campaign on trunk a few days ago (where Relnan is still male), I have to agree with Joram, although I'm not completely sure why. There's just something in the narrative that feels fitting only for a male Relnan. Now apparently Baldras has an unseen wife according to his death event line, so it'd feel even more weird if there was yet another close female character. Overall, this sounds like a change being made for the sake of a change, and not for any strong reasons in particular.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Maybe Relna will be his sister...though that still doesn't quite make sense within the storyline and character studies... ah well.
Joram wrote: Relnan and Baldras struck me as old friends who had been through it all together. The message at the end reinforced that. Now... it's somewhat spoiled. :(
I am Mountain_King, and I approve this message. :mrgreen:
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Kraus

Post by Kraus »

I, too, do not understand why Relnan would be made woman. I just started Liberty again today, and it really makes no sense to me. Why is this?
"Oh, to the hades with the manners - he's a complete [censored], and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De'Arnise
Mica

Post by Mica »

Just a minor suggestion, instead of peasant, why not ruffian? Since ruffian is the level 0 for the outlaws.
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

For Scenario 2, Ruffian is a bad idea, because they're villagers and Peasants, rather than crazy rogues.

I know of no other places where Peasants are used in Liberty, but then I haven't played it for a loooong time. Since 1.7, in fact.
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Mica

Post by Mica »

They never use the Peasant sprite, except for scenario 2 IIRC, which isn't even recruitable or usable by the player. There's only 3. I was suggesting the ruffian image, or the footpad (as that's what they used for the units)
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

I'm not sure whether I should post this here because I don't have any replays to backup my assumptions. But I'll say anyway, and if I get a useful replay I'll post it.

It is of my opinion that the Rogue Mage line is strangely balanced. The lvl 1 seems fine, but the lvl 2 seems underpowered as the lvl3 seems overpowered. I would like to propose the following revision:

Code: Select all

Rogue Mage - level 1
30HP 6MP 55XP 17 gold
short sword 5-3 melee blade
ice blast 7-2 ranged cold magical

Shadow Mage - level 2
43HP 6MP 120XP 39 gold
(leadership)
magical blade 7-3 melee blade magical
shadow blast 10-2 ranged cold magical

Shadow Lord - level 3
54HP 6MP 56 gold
(leadership)
astral blade 9-3 melee blade magical
shadow bolt 13-2 ranged cold magical
shadow blast 7-3 ranged impact magical

Basically, I drastically reduced the costs of the Shadow Mage/Lord (it was ridiculous before), increased the hitpoints of the Shadow Mage/Lord, decreased the experienced needed for the Shadow Mage, boosted the attacks of the Shadow Mage, revised the attacks of the Shadow Lord, and renamed a number of the attacks.
But I don't know, I don't have replays to prove that these units are strangely balanced. I just remember from experience and know that now it is strange to play them at the moment. Also, when the animations for the new sprites are in, do you guys think these guys could be wired into core? That's because I'm planning a campaign featuring outlaws, and I want these guys in.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Thanks, looks like good suggestions; I've committed almost all of them as-is.

However, I feel that we should be doing more to make these guys more interesting: at the very least I think the Shadow Lord should get something new and unique either as an ability or as a weapon special on his second magic attack. :hmm:
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

A wild idea, but how about nightstalk? I guess I came up with that with the outlaw play-style in mind: fast, light, elusive, and hard-hitting at night. Plus the implications in the name (Shadow).
Or, with dark magic in mind, maybe de-illumination? (Of course with a better name).
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

elvish_sovereign wrote:A wild idea, but how about nightstalk? I guess I came up with that with the outlaw play-style in mind: fast, light, elusive, and hard-hitting at night. Plus the implications in the name (Shadow).
Or, with dark magic in mind, maybe de-illumination? (Of course with a better name).
Maybe, but the Rogue Mage line is the only magical line, and that will cause them to be a lot less powerful due to balance.
De-illumination isn't the best choice, as these mages aren't evil, they're exiled mages, not necromancers.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
shadowhawke

Post by shadowhawke »

I was playing Liberty recently on 1.8 and I noticed that Harper doesn't have a silver crown to show he's a hero. This made me lose a couple times as I didn't realise it was him. Argh.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Hi,
I am testing new Rogue and Shadow Mage and Shadow Lord on one of own UMC in order to update them from ones on 1.8 version (animated ones) by using BfW 1.10.2. It seems that the halo for ice blast of Rogue Mage doesn’t show consistently even attacking an enemy in the same direction. Is that possible to happen on them with the current code? I have added a sprite for the attack, but I don’t think it causes to the issue. Also, I have tested another set of halo, but the result is the same.

Maybe, adding projectiles is better on him in the [missile_frame] tag?

EDIT:
:augh: Oops, it seems that the issue caused to my bad...
The attack name has been replaced from magic missile to ice blast. Modifying frames is usually reset from the old ones even using save files, but changing the attack name is a different story.

Sorry, zookeeper.
I attach a couple each of the frames (defend and magic). Not too different from the base frame (*), but feel free to install them, and feel free not to use them. I will use them anyway.
I think that the magic one will be usable for the leading animation, also.

What in Shadow Lord’s hand is the astral blade, right? I guessed it was not a staff.

(*) - defend: from the base frame, 2 pixels to left, edit legs, moved a few pixels the sword and the hand, redraw colors
- magic: from the base frame, 1 pixel up except legs, edit legs, moved a few pixels the sword and the hand, redraw colors
liberty-mages.zip
(18.17 KiB) Downloaded 941 times
EDIT: on Sep. 6th
Just in a case, these are updated ones, including melee images. Some magenta parts were not really right on the previous images... Right on these...
mages-updated.zip
(46.57 KiB) Downloaded 1227 times

Thanks
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

in “Civil Disobedience” the enemy leader does not recruit
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

As I'm playing Liberty in 1.13.11 and because 2 and a half years have passed without this 'bug' being fixed... I'm not editing my old post but rather making a new one. As I wasn't the first to point this out (I found a review from 2014 pointing out the exact same issue), the enemy leader does never recruit. Because he lacks a recruit list. While there is that event about him stopping passive, that event only makes him say one sentence.
If it is intended for him to be unable to recruit, I'd suggest giving him 0 gold (instead of letting him have 100) and/or make it clear in the code that it's intended behavior by doing this: 'canrecruit=no'.

EDIT: Apparently the no recruiting thing was pointed out in this thread by turuk in 2007. It's just that noone gave any answer regarding it at all.