[Historical] Changes to Heir to the Throne

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

[Historical] Changes to Heir to the Throne

Post by Dave »

I've been playing through Heir to the Throne and rebalancing the scenarios. I'm going to post some notes on the rebalancing effort here.

Muff Malal's Peninsula: Moremirmu's temples had already been removed from here and transferred to Isles of the Damned, to even up the choice of which way to go.

I made the undead recruit more walking corpses, and made the leader less inclined to charge at you. Made the walking corpses just advance dumbly at you.

Siege of Elensefar: Made the AI control all villages at the start, but have less money. They won't get many scouts -- mainly just combat units to fight you with.

Made the orc play defensively, especially during the day. The undead will play very aggressively. This leads to a situation where a 'grand battle' takes place around Elensefar. Once I won the battle around Elensefar, it was easy to storm the undead and finish the scenario. Probably a little easier than before, especially on 'easy' level, but hardly a cakewalk.

Crossroads: I flipped the map around, so you're heading from south-west to north-east, as is more logical. Then I made the scenario objectives to kill the north-eastern leader only. (you have to go north-east after all).

I added on an extra day on all difficulty levels. This is additional to the extra day that had already been added.

I made the AI play this one a little differently: very very defensively during the day, but very aggressively at night. This means that during the day, the orcs will mostly stick to the hills, but as night falls, they will charge at you. A tough scenario, but different from most other scenarios. Rather amazing that a scenario can be so tough at that point with the AI only having 1st level units. I ended it with -171 gold :)

A screenshot during my Crossroads attempt is attached.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I've made some more changes:

- Princess of Wesnoth: made easier, since it's now preceeded and followed by some pretty hard scenarios.
- Valley of Death: this was rather difficult, so I've made it easier. I've made it on levels below 'hard' the eastern AI gets only walking corpses. Other AIs have been made less powerful as well.
- Gryphon Mountain: no changes required
- Ford of Abez: made the sea creatures on a seperate side. They will attack any side who enters the river, but will not leave the river themselves. Made enemies on both side of the river come after you more aggressively.
- Northern Winter: this was pretty easy, so I made it a little harder, and made the AI more aggressive.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming