Art issues for Mainline Campaigns

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WYRMY

Re:

Post by WYRMY »

Eleazar wrote: Under the Burning Suns
Problems:
— • dreadbat
I'm not sure if its ok, but I think Shadow Master or someone did a dreadbat, with full animation etc.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Re: Art issues for Mainline Campaigns

Post by Blarumyrran »

WYRMY wrote:I'm not sure if its ok, but I think Shadow Master or someone did a dreadbat, with full animation etc.
Megane.
WYRMY

Post by WYRMY »

Oops, sorry megane.
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Post by Cernunnos »

Hi,

I would really like to help about all those issues, but first i must ask if this is still relevant, even if maybe out of date.
Second i would like to have a little explanation about what you want about shadows, and then check by myself, if a unit needs an upgrade or not :

Should shadows look like this:
apprentice-mage.png
apprentice-mage.png (1.54 KiB) Viewed 13374 times
or like this:
dark-mage-defend.png
dark-mage-defend.png (1.59 KiB) Viewed 13378 times
I believe that it should be the first one, but i would like some confirmation, because some units in mainline use the second type of shadow:
spearman.png
spearman.png (1.08 KiB) Viewed 13386 times
Moreover some uses the first type in some frames and the second type for other frames...

Well some explanation about this, would be appreciated, and would let me help you out.

Thanks a lot, bye.
"While portrait art may be where Wesnoth gets its glamour, and sprite art may be where Wesnoth gets its zest, it's the terrain art that's so crucial to Wesnoth's polish - it's the canvas that the rest goes on." Sangel
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Shadows should be hard-edged. There was a period where softer-edged ones were preferred (and some of us did a lot of work to convert them) but Jetryl has since decided that the hard edge is better. So it's the second model.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

thespaceinvader wrote:and some of us did a lot of work to convert them
:(
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
jrizzle

Post by jrizzle »

Is this list still relevant?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

jrizzle wrote:Is this list still relevant?
Yes. There might be new issues not on the list, but looks like all the ones on it are still valid.
VampiricRose

Post by VampiricRose »

thespaceinvader wrote:Shadows should be hard-edged. There was a period where softer-edged ones were preferred (and some of us did a lot of work to convert them) but Jetryl has since decided that the hard edge is better. So it's the second model.
IMO, the hard edged shadow looks very ugly compared to the softer one.
You are an Arch Mage - You're definitely intelligent, but some people would say you spend too much time inside. The power you have learned, however, is simply unmatched.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

VampiricRose wrote:IMO, the hard edged shadow looks very ugly compared to the softer one.
Hard-edged ones work much better in-game, though, probably because of the good-quality terrain they're overlaid on.

A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

What about the shadow mage line from Liberty? They play a pretty minor role, but like Owaec I'd say they're cruder than other mainline sprites.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

There is a desire to see them updated, as there was recent effort in this thread to that effect.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Udi

Post by Udi »

The Cartography Topic would be probably a better place for this, but it's restricted, so I post it here. In the 1.8 version we have a chance to localize the images in the game, so I played a little with the maps. The Far North map probably needs to be done from scratch, but I managed to tweek it a little so it looks more like the main map. You can take a look at a preview, and you can grab the source file.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

I think I'd like to fix up all the low quality baseframes in UtBS, if nobody has already claimed that yet. Would this be acceptable?
gooby

Post by gooby »

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right or best place, seeing as the last post here is from 2010, but has anyone noticed something funny about the latest artwork for HTTT? Li'sar has negative resistances for all "kinetic" damage types yet is more heavily armored than Konrad.