The Rise of Wesnoth

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Some bugs with version 1.1.1

Apparently there are a few key units missing.
King Haldric is missing from the first few scenarios.
Lady Jessica is missing from the later ones.
And the giant spider is missing from the sewer scenario.
Oh and that vampire lady from the Cursed Island mission doesn't spawn either... which is a problem because you can't finish the scenario without killing her.

I think that's it, but there may be more.
Seems to work fine in version 1.0.2 though, though I couldn't get it to work myself by moving files over and doing some renaming.

Other then those issues I must say this was an extremely enjoyable campaign and an utterly delight to play. That one mission where you have to hold clearwater port? Best defense map ever!
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Oh, and another thing... I guess this was brought up before, I can't imagine it hasn't but...

Prince Haldric doesn't have an AMLA... he just keeps getting more and more experience, but never gets that bonus HP. I think he's up to 300 xp in my 1.1.1 version game? Heh. He really could use some more HP too, at something around 65 or so.

He's a level 3 noble lord with 279/100 xp...
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

If you started to play it with another version, some paths may be incorect, a lot of paths were changed in 1.1.1 an perhaps there is still some problems.

About ALMA, yes ALMA is disabled for all mainline campaign heroes ...
The same thing will happen in HTTT, TDH, EI, ect ...
This has already been fixed in SVN trunk.
scott

Post by scott »

I'll take a look at it, thanks.

You can fix the AMLA problem by opening game.cfg and switching {campaigns} with {amal.cfg}. Sorry about that (it is fixed, like was said).
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
dthurston

Missing commas

Post by dthurston »

There is one consistent feature of the dialog in this campaign that annoyed me: vocative addresses are often not set off by commas. For instance, in the first scenario, King Eldaric says
You're showing initiative son! I'm proud of you! ...
and later
Make haste Son! We must win before the summer crop is in ruin.
I think a comma before 'son' is obligatory here. There are other places where this sounds even weirder for me. (Note there's also inconsistent capitalisation.) The first time I started to play the scenario, this really turned me off. Would you like a patch fixing up this grammar?
scott

Post by scott »

Depending on which version you're playing with, you may see varying degrees of text cleanup. I appreciate the feedback, so keep it coming.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
dthurston

Post by dthurston »

I've been playing the SVN version. Is that the most recent? The dialog looks pretty clean in general.
scott

Post by scott »

Yes, the version you download from SVN and compile yourself is as recent as it gets. Ditto my previous.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Mycroft

Post by Mycroft »

excuse a newbie, how do i get the fixes? :?

additional stuff i found (1.1.1):

Demilich is missing, so i can't continue at after the old woods
Conversations are a mix of German and English (Client Setting is german)
scott

Post by scott »

You'll have to wait for the next release unless you can compile it yourself. The language mix is a sign that changes were made. The German translators are probably waiting for the text changes to settle down (or a string freeze) before working on it.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
dthurston

Post by dthurston »

Here's the patch for the missing commas, etc. There are a few places I wasn't sure of the proper meaning; e.g., at one point Burin the lost says
I don't think I can take much more of this. I'm feeling I'll!
Does he mean
I don't think I can take much more of this. I'm feeling ill!
or
I don't think I can take much more of this. I'm feeling I'll- -!
? I wasn't sure.
Attachments
trow-dialogue.patch.gz
(8.76 KiB) Downloaded 457 times
scott

Post by scott »

Your patch is applied. I appreciate it! I agree with your judgement about Burin feeling ill.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Nyxl

Post by Nyxl »

Mycroft wrote:Demilich is missing, so i can't continue at after the old woods
Got the same problem. "Demilich" is a specific unit of "The Dark Hordes" campaign. With Battle for Wesnoth 1.1.1, I gathered that the restructuring of directories hierarchy led to some significant changes, like specific units being moved in the folders of their respective campaigns.

I have temporarily solved the problem by replacing the type of the boss by the standard Lich type, which is also a level 3 unit, inside the .cfg file for the scenario following OldWood.
baruk

Post by baruk »

I managed to complete TRoW on hard difficulty without save/loading (though I did have to attempt each scenario multiple times). I've posted my replays here:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 268#156268

On the whole a good and challenging campaign. The version I played was 1.0 (I started playing tRoW about 6 months or so ago). The first tough scenario is the third one: a harrowing escape, and the difficulty level does not let up from then on. Clearwater Port was probably the scenario that required most attempts, though I would often complete it having taken unacceptable casualties. Temple of the Deep, Final Spring, Troll Hole and the Dragon all took many attempts before I could reach an acceptable completion.
The final scenario is probably the toughest in terms of raw difficulty, however the gold and recallable units I had available made it more straightforward. Also the fact that you do not need to worry about casualties or gold means you can throw everything you have at it without repercussions.
Flamma

Post by Flamma »

Translating the campaign I have found a typo, or so I think. In "Return to Oldwood", the Lady Outlaw says:

"The news is not good. The main host of orcs is between the forest and Southbay. We clearly can't go that way. However, the road to Clearwater Port is free of orcs. Apparently they're bogged down in the swamp of Esten."

I think that she should better say "The news are not good", or am i wrong?