The Rise of Wesnoth

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Oh just another thing: could we please make Prince Haldric not look like Konrad's twin brother? :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Missing Wose after the Swamp?

Post by santi »

Nice campaign, played it on Medium, beat the swamp rather easily
but when starting the Oldwood forest, I get a crash saying something about Wose not found and some other messages recruiting 1, 4
some long elvish name El....-R...

Am I missing some files?
mlangsdorf

Post by mlangsdorf »

I really think the Ancient Lich is too powerful. It's a level 4 unit with a better magical ranged attack than an Great Mage (15-5 vs 16-4), a decent melee attack (6-4 drain), a fast move of 7, and more hitpoints than anything but the Yeti. Plus plague on all attacks. Delafador isn't this powerful.

Some places to heal near the lich's castle would help, too, since it's too far to walk back to the lone healing pyramid.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Ancient lich is a special character for a specific campaign so no need of blance .. but he shoulnd really be used on outside its original place.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Holy #@%@# O_o ancient linch has plague?!
mlangsdorf

Post by mlangsdorf »

I don't think the Ancient Lich normally has plague, but he has plague for this scenario. It's the icing on the pain-cake.

I'm not sure why unbalanced units are okay if they're scenario specific, either. The thing needs to be toned down a bit: 6x3 short drain and 15x4 long magical would still make him terrifyingly scary, but stop him from destroying everything in his path. He wouldn't be as likely to kill slightly wounded Lvl 3 units as he is now.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

mlangsdorf wrote:I don't think the Ancient Lich normally has plague, but he has plague for this scenario. It's the icing on the pain-cake.

I'm not sure why unbalanced units are okay if they're scenario specific, either. The thing needs to be toned down a bit: 6x3 short drain and 15x4 long magical would still make him terrifyingly scary, but stop him from destroying everything in his path. He wouldn't be as likely to kill slightly wounded Lvl 3 units as he is now.
He is the player "max level" leader of the undead campaign... and he being a killing machine its intended as he was going to be used in that campaign.
Delfaldor is level 5 but its weaker than it was... as he is too old now, same again it's a choice from the campaign history viewpoint.
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

mlangsdorf wrote:I don't think the Ancient Lich normally has plague, but he has plague for this scenario. It's the icing on the pain-cake.
Wait a second, are you sure? Plague changes the unit to a duplicate of yourself when it is killed, right? The lich killed several of my units, but they never changed into Ancient Liches. That would have been so incredibly, horribly, unbalanced that I would have quit the campaign and deleted it, all the while muttering curses at the game. I did not notice that. I can't check currently, but I shall when I arrive home.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

mlangsdorf wrote: Delafador isn't this powerful.
sorry, but i have to say this...of course delfador isn't this powerful! delfador is only a third level unit, at least in how good he is!!! he's just 5th level so he gives a whole bunch of XP to the enemy!
Insinuator wrote:
mlangsdorf wrote: I don't think the Ancient Lich normally has plague, but he has plague for this scenario. It's the icing on the pain-cake.

Wait a second, are you sure? Plague changes the unit to a duplicate of yourself when it is killed, right? The lich killed several of my units, but they never changed into Ancient Liches. That would have been so incredibly, horribly, unbalanced that I would have quit the campaign and deleted it, all the while muttering curses at the game. I did not notice that. I can't check currently, but I shall when I arrive home.
i'm sure that what was meant was 'drain', not 'plague'.

and the AL does have drain.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
mlangsdorf

Post by mlangsdorf »

Okay, not plague, my mistake.

He creates walking dead whenever he kills one of your troops.

Sorry for the confusion.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

mlangsdorf wrote:Okay, not plague, my mistake.

He creates walking dead whenever he kills one of your troops.

Sorry for the confusion.
This is not what drain does. It is what "Walking Corpse plague" does.
Apparently a new ability has been added.
Shade

No new ability. . .

Post by Shade »

I scripted the raising Dead in WML. If it's dead, and it's name is 'A Former Friend', that's just my sick sense of humour rearing it's head. See the 'Rise_up_Rise_Up' macro in the scenario file.
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
Shade

New Release: TROW - The Rise of Wesnoth 0.3.2

Post by Shade »

New Release: TROW - The Rise of Wesnoth 0.3.2

This release should be fully backwards compatable.

Changes:
- Switched the Green Isle from the East to the West, tweaked the story accordingly, Estfolk have become the Wesfolk
- Fixed the tense in the intro story
- Gave Haldric the villages near his keep in the maps that are set in his home
- Fixed the fabulous teleporting 'wet king' from 'the fall'
- Outlaw Leader in the fall now uses the passive flag to revert her back to the pre BfW 0.7.7 behaviour
- Removed most of the choke points in 'Temple in the Deep'
- Downgraded the 'Lich-Lord' in 'Temple in the Deep'
- Make Haldric start on Level 1 on Easy & Normal difficulty
- A one pixel fix for my 'King'
- Random grammer & spelling fixes

On Hold:
- Haldric-is-a-Clonerad & Dude-Looks-Like-a-Lady Outlaw. I can manipulate images, but I'm bad at original art. So for now Haldric is Konrad with a dye job, & without a sceptre. I'll try to tweak him out some more, when I'm feeling brave enough. I'd rather not try to seduce any of the 'real' artists away from mainline for my little side campaign. (As an aside, I suppose I could make a grand speech about implied genetics here, but naaa, it's just a lack of skill)

Just Not Going to Do It:
- 'The Orcs should arrive on the Isle by Ship'. I agree that gates are overdone, but, they are a necessity here. The Orcs in this story have to be an overwhelming, immutable force of nature. This isle is isolated, it isn't feasible to have the Orcs arrive by boat. Plus, since the Orcs aren't in Wesnoth yet they, by default, must have come from the (now) West; where the Wesfolk (formerly Estfolk) aren't particularly welcome. Besides, the 'Wesfolk' are established as strong in the ways of magic.

I'd just like to thank everybody who submitted feedback. All of your help is greatly appreciated. At this point I think the first 7 scenarios are in pretty good shape, and hopefully I can move to maintenance mode for these scenarios. So I can get back to producing new scenarios, of which I'm about half done the next two. . . I should have a 0.4.0 release by next Thursday or so. Have fun out there!

_James
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

What would a Lady Outlaw look like, anyway? Something like this?
Last edited by Sangel on May 27th, 2004, 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I haven't played "The Temple in the Deep" yet, but, have you considered using the underground random map generator to generate it?

If you want help understanding how to use the underground map generator, I'd be happy to give it :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming