The Rise of Wesnoth

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Shade

Sure

Post by Shade »

I'll remove the old attachment, and re-attach it.

So, here goes, version 0.3.0, again. Btw, I'm probably using a meg of space in this thread, I can prune the old attachments.

(edit: I've decided to re-attach to the announce thread only, same file, this time not 0 bytes.)
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
Shade

New Release: 0.3.1

Post by Shade »

New Release: 0.3.1

This is a backward compatable clean-up & re-balancing release.

Changes:
-Fixed a half dozen typos
-Re-balanced 'A Harrowing Escape', 'The Midlands', and 'The Swamp of Esten'. I made them just a little harder.
-Changed the ruined castle graphic, since a) it looked bad with the new castles, and b) wasn't in BfW 0.7.7

I'm quite happy with the state of this campaign right now. What I desperately need is playtesters and feedback. So, if you're interested in a fully storied (currently) 7 map campaign, with a dedicated author, give it a test drive. The 'Install' instructions are in the README file.

Oh, and as a teaser, I'll attach a pic. I intend for the next release or two to be clean-up releases, I want the first 7 maps to be as perfect as I can get them. Have no fear, work on the next series of scenarios is underway.

Have fun!

(Download is Below the Pic)

_James
Roel

Post by Roel »

I played it and it is fun and it looks good but it's too hard for me
Shade

Too hard. . .

Post by Shade »

That's one vote for too hard. . . I actually find it kind of easy, but I made it, and I've playtested to the point where everything should be easy for me. . . So thank's for the info. If people keep responding, and some sort of consensus starts to come about, I'll modify from there. . .
Roel

Post by Roel »

I find allmost every scenario too hard :D

and as you can see, I started playing as soon as you made the post and I played for only 1 hour. I got some units to advance but I got killed in the map with the two orc leaders and the thief leader I beat in the previous map.

I'll try to get past but I think "The Battle For Wesnoth" lacks some really easy newbie maps, I'm always struggling for life in the 2nd or 3rd map in every scenario.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Okay, I got around to starting on this campaign, and have played the first two scenarios so far.

Overall my impression is that it is very well done! I think that this campaign will make an excellent addition to the game.

I did think it was difficult (I played on the 'medium' difficulty setting), although I do like difficult campaigns. Also I played with a heavily tweaked AI that is in CVS, so that may have made it more difficult than it would have been playing with 0.7.7. I did die once on the first two scenarios, and that was because I left Haldric just a little exposed, and had some bad rolls.

Some notes I made while I was playing:

- generally nice introduction text
- the Green Isle should be to the West of Wesnoth, not the East, since Wesnoth is situated on the Western edge of its continent. This I can understand does put the storyline out a bit, since the reason for calling it 'Wesnoth' is harder to come by, but if you look at the 'Heir to the Throne' map, you will see that there is lots of land east of Wesnoth, while ocean to the west of Wesnoth.
- toward the end, the introduction text changed from past-tense to present-tense, which was a little confusing.
- the first scenario is interesting. A nice map, tough land for the Loyalists to fight in, but that makes it kinda fun.
- I suggest using the new system to make it so that the player begins in control of most of the villages in the valley
- the 'gates to the lands of the orcs' sound a little strange -- it's unclear if it refers to a physical passage or some kind of mystical portal. I would discourage the idea of a portal personally, since I think the concept is way overdone. How about something more like the orcs being transported over-sea by the evil humans?
- at the start of the second scenario, the King starts in the water, but then is teleported to the castle. Did you know that you can specify co-ordinates with recall now? Alternatively, you can put things in a 'prestart' instead of 'start' event to make them happen before the display is drawn.
- With Kon..er...Haldric starting at level 0, the game is very unforgiving of mistakes. I lost the second scenario once because I left him exposed to a single enemy attacker during the day
- I tend to think that 'Lady Outlaw' should have a different image, since the current image just doesn't look at all like a woman to me :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
mlangsdorf

Post by mlangsdorf »

I played the first two scenarios on medium.

The first one was quite nice, though I wish the young prince wasn't quite so slow. I managed to almost level about 5 units and win it with 8 turns remaining. I would have stayed around to get more XP, but I wanted some of the units to live.

I got buried on the second scenario, with the bandit leader in the western woods and moving steadily to the northwest. I would have had him if he'd been in the castle, but once he moved off (damn aggressive AI) it was impossible for me to catch him. Then the orcs came swooping down, and all my leveled units died, died, died... I think maybe the strength of the orcs and the bandits could be reduced just a bit.

These were both fun scenarios and I like the concept and writing of the campaign thus far.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

mlangsdorf wrote: I got buried on the second scenario, with the bandit leader in the western woods and moving steadily to the northwest. I would have had him if he'd been in the castle, but once he moved off (damn aggressive AI) it was impossible for me to catch him.
Since the aim of the scenario is to 'get away', and presumably the reason for killing the bandit is because he's somewhat of a 'gate keeper', it doesn't make so much sense for you to still have to catch him if he flees.

Imo one of the following changes should be made:

- make it so that capturing the enemy keep is an alternative victory condition. Perhaps you don't get the option of the bandit joining you if you don't actually defeat her though.
- make the leader use the 'passive' flag, so that she won't come out of the castle like that.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
mlangsdorf

Post by mlangsdorf »

I just finished TROW, at least the completed scenarios. I took the Swamp of Esten path, I think (I have save games for both branches). I'm playing on easy 'cause I'm too much of a wimp to play on medium or hard. This is a tough campaign.

The Swamp was nicely challenging.

The Oldwood scenario was quite interesting and enjoyable. The fog of war made it challenging - I didn't know how badly the Wose were losing to the north-east Orcs, and I suddenly came across a mixed group of Crossbow Orcs and Slayers. It entirely changed my plans.

I found the Temple of the Deep to be a very annoying scenario. I summoned 2 Royal Guardsmen, a Red Mage, an Archmage, a White Mage, a few Bandits, and other assorted tough guys. I gave the Holy Water to one of the Royal Guardsman. At the end of the scenario, I had a Royal Guardsman. That's pretty catastrophic, and I'm not sure what I could do about it. Again, I think the problem is the aggressive AI leader - that demi-lich is a monster (15x5 magical ranged attacks? Plus a lot of hit points? And good physical attacks? By the way, he's always on either a castle or rough ground...) I had pushed back most of his forces, when suddenly he came charging out and killing everything in sight. It was not pretty.

Also, could you *please* redo the map to remove the single hex wide chokepoints? They were annoying in Scepter of Fire and they haven't become any more fun. I spent about half the game working my way past those points. Adding some clear spaces (non-rough?) so that troops can actually move would help a bit, too.

It was a neat campaign and I enjoyed it, but it could still use some polishing and balancing.
miyo

Post by miyo »

Maybe you want to add your campaign here - http://wiki.wesnoth.org -> UserScenarios

- Miyo
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Missing king and prince figures in starting TROW scenario3.0

Post by santi »

Anyone can tell me what are the names of these figures and where I should put them?
(I extracted the zip file and manually copied the files to the Wesnoth directories)
turn123

Post by turn123 »

I really enjoyed playing the first three levels and thought they were about right on medum difficulty.
Shade

Cool

Post by Shade »

All changes are noted. I'm in Northern Ontario, with really bad internet for the next few days, I'll comment more when I get back to the city.
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Dave wrote:I tend to think that 'Lady Outlaw' should have a different image, since the current image just doesn't look at all like a woman to me :)
You need to play more scenarios...

I had similar concerns as did mlangsdorf on ToftD. Sadly, I watched the following scene play out:

Meet Revenant in chokepoints with swordsman. :evil:
"Die!!! Die!! Die! Die..." *smash* *thunk* "Agggh!!!!!"
Etc...

Finally get through after 10+ harrowing turns of unit shuffling. Note: White mage lost after encountering first Revenant.
Units, exhausted, not knowing what lies ahead, stream out single-file. Meet a few skeleton-archers. Kill.
THEN BOOM!!! :shock:

*ZAP
*ZAP
*ZAP
*ZAP
*ZAP
*Unit fades

*ZAP
*ZAP
*ZAP
*ZAP
*ZAP
*Unit fades

*ZAP
*ZAP
*ZAP
*ZAP
*ZAP
*Unit fades

*ZAP
*ZAP
*ZAP
*ZAP
*ZAP
*Unit fades

*ZAP
*ZAP
*ZAP
*ZAP
*ZAP
*Unit fades

You get the point.

I finally beat him, though after heavy losses. Good level, bad leader.
Shade

I like the choke points

Post by Shade »

I'm a sick guy, I like the choke points. But I'll take them out (when I get back). I remember the discussion on the scepter of fire. The leader is tough because it fits the story. He was sealed in there because they couldn't kill him. Maybe another holy, & a message warning the player to jump rush hime in a hury.

As an aside, I'll probably impliment most of what was said in this thread. Dave's story points are good / fair, and the change of direction doesn't matter much so long as the termius points are the same. . . It's all good. Thanks for the feedback.