Descent into Darkness

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

tribes55

Re: Descent into Darkness

Post by tribes55 » March 2nd, 2016, 3:04 am

Fun, great campaign.

Just a small dialogue error. Nothing is spelled wrong, but in "Beginning of the revenge", when Darken Volk kills an Orc, Malin Keshar exclaims "Taste my wrath!" or something of those lines.

What's happening:
When Darken Volk kills an orc for the first time, Malin Keshar exclaims "Taste my Wrath!"

What (potentially) should be happening:
When Malin Keshar kills an orc for the first time, Malin Keshar exclaims "Taste my Wrath!"

Version: 1.12.5
Thank you! :)

tamanegi

Post by tamanegi » August 11th, 2016, 12:49 pm

There seems to be a bug in the trap move_to event (24,13) in 11_Descent_into_Darkness.

The intended actions might be as the following.

- a unit (not bat, not ghost) moves to (24,13)
- the unit cries out
- the unit forced to move to (25,13)
- the unit killed

But the moveto (25,13) never succeeds because check_passability is not set properly in the actual code, {MOVE_UNIT (x,y=24,13) 25 13}. So if I move a skeleton to (24,13), it cries out and then moves to (23,14). This is ridiculously confusing.

If there is a bat in (25,13) and a skeleton moves to (24,13), skeleton cries out and moves to (23,14) and the bat at (25,13) is silently killed. It is very funny. I dare say this event is completely broken.

Checked on v1.12.6 and v1.13.5+dev (f4ac23a-Clean).

# By the way, is check_passability=no of [move_unit] available in dev versions?
# It works in 1.12.6 but does not in 1.13.5(f4ac23a) in this test... Just have I mistaken?
Discord: @tamanegi
It is true that we cannot be free from bugs, but at least let our bugs not always the same...
A Group in a War: my first campaign, An Independence War: and the sequel

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper » August 11th, 2016, 1:42 pm

tamanegi wrote:There seems to be a bug in the trap move_to event (24,13) in 11_Descent_into_Darkness.

The intended actions might be as the following.

- a unit (not bat, not ghost) moves to (24,13)
- the unit cries out
- the unit forced to move to (25,13)
- the unit killed

But the moveto (25,13) never succeeds because check_passability is not set properly in the actual code, {MOVE_UNIT (x,y=24,13) 25 13}. So if I move a skeleton to (24,13), it cries out and then moves to (23,14). This is ridiculously confusing.

If there is a bat in (25,13) and a skeleton moves to (24,13), skeleton cries out and moves to (23,14) and the bat at (25,13) is silently killed. It is very funny. I dare say this event is completely broken.

Checked on v1.12.6 and v1.13.5+dev (f4ac23a-Clean).
Oww. Well spotted. I'll fix that.
tamanegi wrote:# By the way, is check_passability=no of [move_unit] available in dev versions?
# It works in 1.12.6 but does not in 1.13.5(f4ac23a) in this test... Just have I mistaken?
There shouldn't be any difference, but I'll check.

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper » September 28th, 2016, 10:22 pm

In 1.13 check_passability=no was indeed broken; should be fixed in the next release.

dddontshoot

Post by dddontshoot » January 14th, 2017, 6:17 am

I stumbled onto a way to always win the Endless Night. I got up to the Foolish Hero that starts with 2200 gold before I got bored and came here to find out if there ever was an end to it.

I'm using version 1.10.7

The strategy is this:
1) recruit 3 Nightgaunts or Shadows
2) move Mal Keshar into the deep water at 25, 12
3) keep ending your turn until the Foolish Hero runs out of gold. Their units just stop moving when they realise they can't kill you in the water. And can't see the units with NightStalk Ability
4) Use a Shadow to take a village, this will attract all their units towards that village leaving the Foolish Hero unguarded and vunerable to attack from the Nightgaunts.

I only had 1 Nightgaunt and 2 Shadows at the start of Endless Night, they eventually all upgraded to Nightgaunts. More Nightgaunts would be better, if you miss an attack in the Foolish Hero, you may lose one or all three. None of my level 1 units ever survived long enough to upgrade, so I was stuck with just the 3.

I suggest removing that patch of deep water. This forces Mal Keshar to recruit an army for defence. An army that will eventually be outnumbered by the Foolish Hero.

The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat » January 14th, 2017, 6:25 am

Hello, that's a very good strategy. As for Decent into Darkness the point is that as a dead lich there is no end. So in answer to your question: that scenario is an infinite loop.

But also welcome to the forum :D ! (also if you really want to get the laurel for winning DiD i can send you a mod that allows you to win that scenario)

jeffnz

Post by jeffnz » January 19th, 2017, 12:59 am

I think that this campaign is too difficult. I got stuck on Orc War, but I'm sure I beat that map on a previous version of the game many years ago. It feels like the ai is too good. I'm modifying DiD for my own entertainment.

The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat » January 19th, 2017, 2:44 am

jeffnz wrote:I'm modifying DiD for my own entertainment.
That's what makes this game great! :D

Also a fun thing to do sometimes - if you press the ':' key (you might need to hold shift) it will bring up a console. Type 'debug' into the console and then if you right click you can add units to your team.

jeffnz

Post by jeffnz » January 20th, 2017, 4:36 am

For the map "A Haunting In Winter" I made the ai less aggressive, so that they don't advance quickly and thus cannot block me in narrow areas. I also allow the recruitment of level 2 Skeleton Archers and level 2 Revenants (the upkeep is horrible and even level 2 units get beaten up). I also gave myself more turns and yet I still can't make good progress because movement inside the cave is slow and it's too narrow.

In most RTS games, units intelligently move as a group, but in Wesnoth you can't make a unit at the back move onward, if there is another unit blocking him. We should get rid of slow movement in caves for ALL races: I feel that it makes the game less fun when movement is slow. Most units only move 4 or 5 at a time, so it takes an eternity to move through a narrow cave.

Is there a way to make one unit follow the unit in front? When a friendly unit is obstructed by another friendly unit, it stops further movement so sometimes my units only move 1 or 2 hexes.

AlexanderRM

Post by AlexanderRM » December 23rd, 2017, 6:44 am

As others have noted, in the final scenario if you level up Mal Keshar into an Ancient Lich and then put him on a village, the AI will rarely if ever attack him and he can pick them off one unit at a time (so far tested on the southernmost village- only 3 squares bordering it- against Bandits). What makes me sad about this is that he's genuinely very powerful on that spot and it would be fun to see how well he would do even if bandits went all-out against him.
Is it possible to modify the AI aggressiveness with the console by any chance? Or would I need to edit my source code for that?