Delfador's Memoirs

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Development Team
Battle for Wesnoth

Delfador's Memoirs

Post by Development Team »

This is the main development thread for the mainline campaign Delfador's Memoirs.
tapik
Code Contributor

0.7.2-1 is out

Post by tapik »

Many other fixes (image paths, sounds, WML fixing, some i18n-ed strings) incorporated in 0.7.2-1 - feel free in reporting
Wesnothu ZDAR!
Czech l10n team member
A New Order maintainer
Delfador's Memoirs
tapik
Code Contributor

0.7.2-2 is out

Post by tapik »

I18N updates for it and sv
Wesnothu ZDAR!
Czech l10n team member
A New Order maintainer
Delfador's Memoirs
truffant

Post by truffant »

I just played through your campaign. Thanks for your work. I really appreciated that Delfador had in different scenarios different recruitment Tables. I hope in a later scenario of this campaign the player will be able to recall all his different leveled up units to form an army of Elvish Druids, Pikemen, Red Mages and lovely Wraiths and Ghouls :-)

And i appreciated also that it ran flawlessly on Wesnoth 1.2.1! I played on medium difficulty and i found this level really easy compared to other "medium" difficulties in different campaigns. This also was refreshing and less stressing.
tillea

Post by tillea »

Any chance that this campaign will be ported to 1.3.x or even incorporated in official Wesnoth campaigns? I think it would greatly fit.

Andreas.
gandulf

Post by gandulf »

little bug i encountered: In the second mission i was able to recall a second delfador from the recruits list.
Since the story never mentioned a twin brother I suppose that shouldn't be possible. ;-)
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Also noticed same as gandulf. In addition, there seems to be an extra - before the 6th scenario cfg file(swamps of Illuven), which means it cannot find the scenario. Once removed, it's ok.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Another bug was in Ur-Theodor: because "t" in Theodor is uppercase
everywhere, but lowercase in the leader description, his dialog does not play. I am attaching a fix of all issues except the duplicate Delfador and
the scenario not found after Wasteland.(I may try to create a few more scenaria there)
Attachments
scenarios.zip
(52.21 KiB) Downloaded 1096 times
friar tuck

Bugs and remarks as of March 4

Post by friar tuck »

I just played through the whole campaign and it is a lot of fun.

I'd love to see it finished, because after the scenarios which are already there, there's a lot of potential for interesting adventures to come...

But as it is now, it gives a very immature impression. First because of the bugs, secondly because some aspects seem outdated or unbalanced.

Bugs

I'm giving a complete list as I saw them. Some have been mentioned (and fixed) by santi, but I downloaded from the 1.3 server on March 4 and the fixes weren't there. I played on 1.3.19.

01_overture.cfg

The twin Delfador. Somehow the Game fails to recognize that the Delfador from the intro scenario is the same as the hero from the second scenario.

Looking at the scenario WML, I can't see what might be causing this. But then I don't know anything about WML and do everything by "pattern recognition" and general coding experience...

As a remedy, I added the Delfador bit in

Code: Select all

#[kill] # Methor off the recall list
          #    description=Methor
          #[/kill]
                 [kill] # Delfador off the recall list
                     description=Delfador
                 [/kill]

[endlevel]
              result=continue
to the code for scenario 01. It's more of a workaround than a fix, but at least it works :?

05_council_in_weldyn.cfg

As santi already said the next scenario tag should look like this

next_scenario=06_swamps_of_illuven

08_ur_thorodor.cfg

As santi already stated there was a typo in Ur-Thorodor, it should read like this:

[scenario]
      name=_ "Ur-Thorodor"
      id=08_ur_thorodor
      {MEMOIRS_MAP island.map} 
12_valley_of_statues.cfg

My did I have to change a lot to make this work :shock:

First of all, the map was not found. I changed

map_data="{campaigns/Delfadors_Memoirs/maps/valley_of_statues.map}"
into

{MEMOIRS_MAP valley_of_statues.map}
There also seems to be a typing error in the name of the next scenario. I changed

next_scenario=13_epilog
into

next_scenario=13_epilogue
I'm not sure what the following means

# Warning to player
    {ITM_MONOLITH1 4 23}
    [event]
        name=moveto
        [filter]
            side=1
            x=4
            y=23
        [/filter]
        [message]
            speaker=narrator
            image=images/scenery/monolith1.png
            message= _ "Be warned, a great monster lives in the hills ahead."
        [/message]
but at least for me no monolith is displayed. Maybe putting the image tag into message means the monolith should appear together with the message, but that seems somewhat silly to me. So I added

# Warning to player
    {PLACE_IMAGE scenery/monolith1.png 4 23}
#    {ITM_MONOLITH1 4 23}
    [event]
and now the monolith is displayed from the beginning.

Then, Chantal is not recalled, though I don't understand why

[recall]
             description=Chantal
         [/recall]
shouldn't work. Maybe she's on the wrong side in scenario 11?

Anyway, I changed this to

{MEMOIRS_RECALL "Elvish Druid" Chantal}
and now she's 'recalled', though looking at the code of the macro I suspect she's still not recalled but a new Chantal is created to replace her.

Finally, no Cockatrices are recruited. Did they use to be part of mainline?
Anyway, nowadays they belong to HttT, and if I copy unit cfg and images from HttT to the respective folders of DM, they are recruited.

Balancing/Quirks

There are a lot of aspects which give the impression the campaign is in fact abandoned.

I'll list the things which occurred to me without particular order or priority. Please take this as a plea for maintenance more than a complete list of quibbles. Unfortunately I have almost nothing to offer to help in this respect. I think I could learn enough WML to solve "pure" coding issues, but my creativity is nil :cry:

Delfador unit definition
  • The unit sprite looks 0.9-ish. The level 3 graphic looks especially bad.
  • The "official" portrait from HttT is used, which shows an old man. It doesn't seem to fit this campaign at all.
  • There are numerous glitches in attack animations. I guess the unit cfg sould be updated somehow (I think this is something I could do on the WML side, but not draw any variant sprites).
  • I don't understand why he shouldn't be able to advance to lvl 4. He's lvl 5 in HttT. But maybe this is an option which is 'activated' later in the (non-existing part of the) campaign.
The Staff of Lightning

I have to confess I don't really like this artifact...
  • It doesn't feel like the HttT Delfador. In HttT I had the impression Delfador had this lightning bolt as a powerful spell alternative to fireball. This could be brought about in the remainder of the campaign, i.e. he has to give the staff away or destroy it, but from studying it he learns this spell...
  • It is way overpowered. Especially the melee attack, which is also totally inconsistent with HttT. In fact, I had problems leveling up elves by first softening enemies with delfador, because an enemy would almost surely be dead after a single attack. This was not the case in HttT, where delfador could also do some serious damage, but not in the sense that he could just walk into any opposing army, striking down left and right while his lvl1 companions are slaughtered all around him. In HttT Delfador was a great help, but in a strategically planned way and not in brute force manner like in DM, where after taking the artifact, it's just "walk straight up to enemy leader, strike down with lightning, scenario finished".
  • It uses the lame "storm trident" attack graphics instead of the cool lightning strike from HttT.
  • It is much too easy to attain. Consider the spider trap in NR, now that's a well guarded artifact :wink:
    In DM, after exploring the map a bit, it's very easy to grab the artifact. In fact, it's much easier to first go there and then blast away the remaining skeletons than the other way round.
Valley of statues

It seems arbitrary and without connection to the story. Maybe I was just spoiled because unlike some other campaings, the scenarios so far seemed not only a sequence of unrelated battles but part of a greater buildup. Maybe it would become clearer in the non-existing part of the campaign what the meaning of this scenario is, but so far I think the story would work as well without it.

Interesting challenge nonetheless...

I started with 189 gold and it seems there's no way to win gracefully with this amount of funds. Every mage recruits at least 5 cockatrices in the first two turns, which flock together so there is no chance to single one out to surround and kill it.

So it seems one needs a "store" of at least 6 expandable units who can be stoned while one is killing off the cockatrices...

What I did was take the coward's way: with the staff Delfador was more or less invincible. No cockatrice would even attack him. So he could just walk to the mages and kill them.

Epilogue

Well, as was expected, the campaign ended in a rather awkward way. I'm not complaining it's not finished, but it is clear that there's a lot of storyline left after the last scenario, not to speak of the potential of telling the story all the way to the beginning of HttT.

What I'd really like to know is whether anybody is actively working on it or whether it is abandoned and one should be prepared it'll stay like this forever...

Unrelated stuff
  • The names of the ghosts are not displayed in Land of the Dead. Which is sad because they are referred to in sentences like "beyond Sydney's village".
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Re: Delfadors Memoirs announcements and bug repots

Post by santi »

DM is being prepared for mainline. I agree it ends rather abruptly. Its author had more scenaria in mind, but he seems to have disappeared. I have made some maps for the next scenario, but right now I am busy with mainlining Low, HttT scenaria were added here, because it was decided that HttT was too long... But then these scenaria were voted back intoHttT by popular demand, so I do not know what is going on...
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

As 1.4 is out know I'd like all campaign on WesCamp-i18n to move over to the new scheme as described here: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18675

This campaign is one of those which should move, I'll merge the old translations of course.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

I have written a couple more scenaria for DM along the idas of the original author and making
connections with other events at the time.
There should be at least 2 more scenaria, closingthe portal and the final Showdown with Iliah-Malal, to logically conclude the Memoirs. There probably should also be a scenario accounting for Asheviere briefly gaining access to Crelanu's book.

You need to download the cfg files for wasteland(a small change at the end, so that Delf can recall elves), 12_Southern Pass and the Council in 13, plus the map file for Southern Pass
There are some bugs in Southern Pass, but it should be playable.

I am also attaching a savegame(on hard) from the end of Wasteland, so you can jump and test the new scenaria
if you do not have savegames(there is a bug with a recalled wolf rider, but it has been fixed in the new wasteland attached )
Attachments
DM-Wasteland_Γύρος_15newno2.gz
(46.85 KiB) Downloaded 1100 times
DMNEW.zip
(12.66 KiB) Downloaded 1090 times
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Version 0.10.0 is available on the add-on server for Wesnoth 1.5.x.

Greetings, Fabi
jani

Post by jani »

in scenario dark forest or something comes error unknow unit where can i donwload version which works i use wesnoth 1.5.6
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

The most recent (but potentially untested changes) of DM that exists would be found at the sourceforge site.

You can download it here. Delfador's Memoirs

Just download the tarball at the bottom, place the folder in your userdata folder, and play.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time