Would someone like to write unit descriptions

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eagle_11

Would someone like to write unit descriptions

Post by Eagle_11 »

I happent to in need for unit descriptions.
The units that need an new description are:
level 3 Great Ogre(currently using same as Ogre), its only a stats upgrade. Done by Saloghost, see post below.

the level 2 dunefolk Raider, which is using same as dunefolk Robber, the robber -> raider unit-line has 'ravage' weapon special which is reverse swarm, are liminal alignment.
the level 2 dunefolk Strider, which is using same as dunefolk Archer, the dunefolk Strider can hide in sand terrain, has chance to gain fearless and is liminal alignment.
You can find those two Dunefolk units in 'Default + Eagle 11's version of Dunefolk' era i have made, if you need to see their appearances.
for the lvl3 Great Falcon, which is using same descr. as lvl2 Elder Falcon currently, its only a stats upgrade.

Saurian Bonecaster, which is an lvl3 continuation of Saurian Soothsayer, Saurian Bonecaster gains 'drains' on its ranged curse attack besides stats upgrading.
Saurian Prophet, an lvl3 continuation of Saurian Oracle, Saurian Prophet has 'mind raid' weapon special on its ranged curse attack, which leeches experience out of the enemy unit.
Saurian Seeker, the level 2 of Saurian Runner, the Saurian Runner -> Saurian Seeker -> Saurian Slayer unit-line is armed with dagger and throwing knives, +1Mp faster than Saurian Skirmishers, Saurian Seeker gains 'Skirmisher' ability, Saurian Slayer gains poison on melee and marksman at ranged attacks.
The Saurian Seeker you can find in 'Default + Saurians' ive made, the unit descriptions in there are in general need of polish, rewrite and cleanup.

the White Wizard and Dark Wizard of outlaws, Dark Wizard retains heals +4 and cold attacks of Wizard, gains extra lightning strike attack. White Wizard gets ability upgraded to heals +8, retains fireball attack of Wizard and gains arcane Lightbeam attack. They both have an staff attack for melee.
you can find those two units in 'Default + Outlaws' era ive made.

lvl4 Predator, which is an continuation of outlaw Huntsman, its only an stats upgrade.
lvl4 Archaic Wose, advancement to lvl3 Ancient Wose, its only an stats upgrade.
lvl4 Elvish Overlord(this unit probably needs a new name too), advancement to lvl3 Elvish High Lord, the Elvish Overlord has an enchanted sword attack which always has atleast 50% cth
Dwarvish Mountaineer, an alternate advancement to Scout that can hide in hills and has net attack at range,
Goblin Raider, lvl3 advancement for Goblin Pillager, its only an stats upgrade.
You can find Archaic Wose, Elvish Overlord, Dwarvish Mountaineer and Goblin Raider in 'Extra Advancements for Default Era units'.

If anyone would like to write one, please do so.
Last edited by Eagle_11 on May 29th, 2018, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
SaloGhost

Re: Would someone like to write unit descriptions

Post by SaloGhost »

Heya,

I don't know most of the stuff, but I did one for the great ogre and will see to some of the othrs.

Great Ogre:
"Many Ogres don't get too old, as their size and lack of finesse make them valuable prey for the more cunning and ruthless of predators. But those that survive by adapting to their environment continue growing as they age. These great Ogres become veritable giants, surpassing even trolls in raw strength."

Best regards
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

It's a bit late in the evening but I'm willing to try and take them all on.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

SaloGhost wrote: May 28th, 2018, 1:48 am Great Ogre:
"Many Ogres don't get too old, as their size and lack of finesse make them valuable prey for the more cunning and ruthless of predators. But those that survive by adapting to their environment continue growing as they age. These great Ogres become veritable giants, surpassing even trolls in raw strength."
Added.
Sadaharu wrote: May 28th, 2018, 5:08 am It's a bit late in the evening but I'm willing to try and take them all on.
:) you are welcome to do so.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

OK, a list of the abilities/weapons/resistances on the new units and any other information (especially regarding their place in the intended storyline) would be, well, not technically necessary, but really very helpful.

Tomorrow I'll probably be home at very-late-o'clock because of this RL thing I remain unable to uninstall.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

added some information to first post on where to find them for closer examination if needed.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Hmmm. I'll see what I can do.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Sorry about the delays, we're in the middle of midterm madness. More news after… Friday? *crosses fingers*
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Ah, np. Take your time.
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

SaloGhost wrote: May 28th, 2018, 1:48 am Great Ogre:
I'm not sure if I agree with the reason for them not becoming old, there's not much what is a danger to Ogres ... besides Giant Spiders.

Legend of Wesmere has as well a Great Ogre since 1.13, it could go mainline.
Try out the dark board theme.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

The reason for not becoming old can always be younger ogres.
Eagle_11 wrote:Ah, np. Take your time.
I will have to.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Seems like i will have to get around to it, eventually.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Heh, sorry, I finished term (successfully!) and then went into holiday mode, i.e. only answering threads from which I got email notifications. I should've posted ‘prod me every now and then’ as I usually do.

So, is there any particular point from which you want me to start? I'm suddenly left with more idle time than I can find things for, except Frogatto reruns.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Sadaharu wrote: July 13th, 2018, 9:49 pm So, is there any particular point from which you want me to start? I'm suddenly left with more idle time than I can find things for, except Frogatto reruns.
Start with 'Extra Advancements for Default Era units', after that try 'Extra Recruits for Default Era factions', you can find them on 1.14 addons server. Skip over units from mainline like Armageddon Drake, Grand Marshal, etc. as no need to rewrite mainline stuff.
Some of the units may already have an simple yet custom description, see if you can improve them in addition to writing for those that do not have one.
Some of the new advancements have their descriptions copypasted from their lower level forms, seek to write a new one for those.
(gz on surviving term!)
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

Eagle_11 wrote:Start with 'Extra Advancements for Default Era units', after that try 'Extra Recruits for Default Era factions', you can find them on 1.14 addons server.
Mmmk, I downloaded the .tar file a couple weeks ago and I now have to compile it. I hope I get it right…