Revisiting Wesnoth unit descriptions

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Revisiting Wesnoth unit descriptions

Post by Pentarctagon »

Cold Steel wrote: May 20th, 2018, 1:19 am
Pentarctagon wrote: May 19th, 2018, 4:01 pm Sickly has a rather different meaning than I intended, and to me at least, doesn't really have much connection to the negative traits Goblins can get.
Is there a lore explanation for them having only negative traits you would prefer?
"smaller and weaker" covers it as well as a unit description needs to, I think.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
name

Post by name »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: May 20th, 2018, 4:23 am Sure, but the naga fighter is not part of the orcish hordes, so I think it's fair to ignore it in the goblin description.
You have multiplayer in which naga are a part of the northerners faction and you have the campaigns in which they often times are not. Since the unit help is accessible from either game mode it needs to work for both.

So the wolf rider flavor text should not explicitly mention naga and at the same time it should not say anything to imply naga are not part of the same faction. The former would be confusing in campaigns and the later in multiplayer.
Pentarctagon wrote: May 20th, 2018, 4:25 am "smaller and weaker" covers it as well as a unit description needs to, I think.
Well, okay.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

PR of the Goblin Spearman's description is here: https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/pull/3175
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code