The Sleepless Sea

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

BTIsaac

The Sleepless Sea

Post by BTIsaac » March 27th, 2018, 9:11 am

So I've just noticed this while looking at the new and old maps in wake of the recent discussions surrounding the Dunefolk, and trying to match them with the plot of Soldier of Wesnoth, one of Revansurik's campaigns, in which the Dunefolk play an important role. This is what I noticed: The story is incompatible with the new map, but works with the old, where it's possible to travel southeast of the Black Forest (Heart Wood on the old map), and reach the Sandy Wastes that way, with the Mountains of Peril north of the path, which is impossible on the new map because the Sleepless Sea is in the way.

This gave me an interesting idea. Is it possible to write around this, so there's no story conflict? So, what if a large portion of the Sleepless Sea periodically receeds for several decades and the seafloor is exposed, along with the ruins there. SInce people don't usually cross the Black River, and the coastline west of Kerlath is not exactly a good place for a port (the angry elves wouldn't like it), there's no real reason for ships to said down south, so people simply don't notice or care.

Thoughts?

Lord-Knightmare
Forum Regular
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: The Sleepless Sea

Post by Lord-Knightmare » March 27th, 2018, 4:10 pm

His campaign is an UMC...So, non-canon. A lot of UMC take place in various versions of the Great Continent...and it's rather difficult to keep up with all the versions. The first design of the Great Continent was designed based on the collaboration of various UMC authors and their descriptions of their campaign's geographical settings. The new one that is being designed is sorta "canon"...so, won't be adjustable to any of them (maybe a few of them, because all my campaigns don't even fit into the new landmass).

BTIsaac

Re: The Sleepless Sea

Post by BTIsaac » March 27th, 2018, 9:27 pm

Well obviously. Doesn't mean people can't speculate.