Wesnoth calendar?

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ephraim

Re: Wesnoth calendar?

Post by Ephraim »

skeptical_troll wrote:
Ephraim wrote:I like astrology, so I like this theme. [...] The moon orbits around the Mass Center of the Earth that, due to the spherical shape of the Earth, is at its center.
I suppose you mean 'astronomy' :) To be pedantic, the exact sentence would be that the Moon and Earth orbit around their center of mass, but since the Earth is much more massive that's quite close to its own geometrical center. Same for the Sun and the Earth.
I'm right when I say astrology, because magic features interfere in the schedule after the fall.
The Great Library of WML is huge and extense. I must find the book who will lead me to create a perfect campaign.
Future Project: History of Vindalf
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Re: Wesnoth calendar?

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

skeptical_troll wrote:I must say, I've only been very confused by the after-the-fall schedule, the short dark and long dark thing and the two asymmetric cycles. I can't figure out how that cycle is possible. I know 'Wesnoth is not realistic' but did the author provide any explanation? are there theories around it? does the cycle correspond to two days or one? It's even more confusing that in the schedule's small images two suns appear in both 'sub-days'.
I'd guess that pretty much any schedule can be justified with the right parameters, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to determine actual orbits that match that schedule.

The second sun was originally intended to banish the night altogether, right? You can probably ignore the motion of the planet around its star for this purpose, but unless I'm mistaken, this leads to the conclusion that banishing the night is impossible if the new star is orbiting the planet, but could work if it's in a slightly larger orbit around the main star such that it remains always in the planet's shadow. Maybe this orbit was unstable and the planet's gravity ended up dragging it into a lunar orbit? I dunno.
Ephraim wrote:I'm right when I say astrology, because magic features interfere in the schedule after the fall.
I don't see how that changes it to astrology. Astrology is divination based on the stars. It has little to do with the actual movements of planets.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.