Anyone interested in creating a campaign with me?

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gicaldo

Anyone interested in creating a campaign with me?

Post by Gicaldo »

I'm good at storytelling, but I don't know anything about coding. So, I was wondering if someone would like to create a campaign with me, someone with coding knowledge? It can be long or short, but I'd rather have a long one.

You should be quite a skilled writer yourself, though, since I lack the time to write all the dialogue myself. I would concern myself more with the overall story as well as individual characters and respective arcs.
Elvish_Hunter

Re: Anyone interested in creating a campaign with me?

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Hello, and welcome to the forums :)
Gicaldo wrote:I don't know anything about coding.
I know that it might sound strange coming from a developer... but at first, neither did I. Believe me or not, but (except for a little Python that I already knew) I learned how to code with WML (the language of our add-ons). Since WML is a good choice to start coding, and requires just a decent text editor, why don't you try it? You might even discover some skills that you never knew you had 8)
Gicaldo wrote:I'm good at storytelling, but I don't know anything about coding. So, I was wondering if someone would like to create a campaign with me, someone with coding knowledge? It can be long or short, but I'd rather have a long one.
I'm sorry, but that's unlikely to work. In past, I've already seen users claiming to be storytellers and asking for coders: it almost always ended with the campaign never being created.
If you learn to code, instead, you'll be able to create a working prototype (this is important, because it shows that you really care about your idea), and this might attract other WML coders; not only this, but in the worst case, you'll be able to make the whole campaign by yourself, and you won't depend on anyone else to complete your project.
However, you won't be completely alone, because if you've got some trouble, you can always ask for help in the WML Workshop.
Gicaldo wrote:You should be quite a skilled writer yourself, though, since I lack the time to write all the dialogue myself.
Once again, making a working prototype will be helpful in attracting users willing to help. It doesn't even need to be fully finished: some add-ons are uploaded as "work in progress", and scenarios are gradually added.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Lordlewis

Post by Lordlewis »

Not that I expect this to actually go through with it but if you need help with the maps I'll be happy to make them, I just need the story, setting and objective. Yet somehow I doubt this will go through, it takes a while to get a story that you can work with in the battle for Wesnoth. Good luck any ways. :)
Gold is great!
Swat them bugs!
Can-ned_Food

Post by Can-ned_Food »

You need to have some idea as to what can be done easily and what would require workaround.

More than that, you need to post your entire outline, or to say that you have it ready to be sent in PMs upon request. If you post it here, do so inside [spoiler] tags.
Otherwise — who would show any interest?