A new history: need help

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ephraim

A new history: need help

Post by Ephraim »

Hello!
I'm working on a campaign that can be placed before year 250 BW. It will be ready soon! It has 13 scenarios.
The only idea I can advance now is:
The enemy faction are the drakes.

The Official Wesnoth Timeline says:
Prehistory
Elves and Dwarves inhabit the Great Continent.
Humans inhabit the distant West.
Haldric's people colonise the Green Isle from a continent further to the west.
200 BW
The Lich-Lords arrive on the Green Isle after losing a war in the distant West
The question is:
What can this war be that the Lich Lords lost?
What could be their enemy?

Maybe a drake revenge? Maybe other faction?

Please, I need ideas!

Note: There are two wars agaisnt Lich—Lords:
1~The war Drakes vs Lich—Lords (My campaign).
2~After the drake war, the battle that the Lich—Lords lost, said in the timeline, when they retired to the Green Isle.
I'm asking about who can be the enemy in this second war.

Thanks!
The Great Library of WML is huge and extense. I must find the book who will lead me to create a perfect campaign.
Future Project: History of Vindalf
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: A new history: need help

Post by zookeeper »

If you like the Khalifate, then that's one option. Even though nothing's strictly official, I think pretty much a given that any detailed backstory they might receive in the future will include them having developed/existed on the Old Continent. They are humans, humans originate in the far west, and they have a distinct "old empire" feel to them. Also, they're clearly of a somewhat anti-magic disposition, which would naturally put them at odds with the dark magic -wielding Wesfolk and Lich-Lords.

Besides humans, drakes, orcs and maybe merfolk, I don't think there's really other known major races that would logically fit onto the Old Continent. We know the orcs originate somewhere in there, but the Lich-Lords surely weren't losing a war to them because in TRoW the Lich-Lords themselves utilize orcs as a blunt instrument. Of course the Old Continent can contain major races that are actually wholly unknown to the rest of the world.

So, drakes doesn't sound like an entirely unreasonable choice, but you probably want to involve some other races too in one way or another.
Ephraim

Post by Ephraim »

Ok, so...
Humans and orcs inhabit the Old Continent.
Merfolk inhabit the Great Sea.
Drakes inhabit Morogor.

Merfolk are to weak to gain a war agaisnt undead.
Orcs are Wesfolk friends.

This war will be betwen Drakes and Humans another time, then.

Another question:
When Prince Haldric arrives to the Fallen Lich Point, in the signal that unpetrifies Caror appears a empty space of the name of a mage, the mage who petrified the Lich. Is it Crelanu?
What we know about him?
The Great Library of WML is huge and extense. I must find the book who will lead me to create a perfect campaign.
James_The_Invisible

Post by James_The_Invisible »

Is it Crelanu?
No one knows for sure. He is indeed a legendary figure, but not necessarily the first mage of Green Isle.
What we know about him?
There is a campaign about him: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=34386 (though it is not official). In mainline, he is the author of Book of Crelanu which is probably the most comprehensive book ever written about magic. He also makes an appearance in Legend of Wesmere, scenario The Battle of the Book.
Ephraim

Post by Ephraim »

Hello! I have a few questions about the history of Wesnoth:
—Where was the origin of the khalifate?
—When the humans (I mean not in the Fallen Lich Point, I talk about before of the Green Isle) started to use magic?
—Wich magic powerfull items (as the sceptre of fire or the book of Crelanu) were there on the Old Continent in the year 250 before Wesnoth?
—Is there any map of the Old Continent?
—Who is Yarae?

Thanks,
Ephraim
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

—Where was the origin of the khalifate?
This was widely discussed somewhere in a thread but there has not yet been any mention in the mainline campaigns.
When the humans (I mean not in the Fallen Lich Point, I talk about before of the Green Isle) started to use magic?
Wich magic powerfull items (as the sceptre of fire or the book of Crelanu) were there on the Old Continent in the year 250 before Wesnoth?
Is there any map of the Old Continent?
Look at "The Library Of Kratemaqht" (Campaign on the 1.12 add-on server). The campaign should provide you with all the infos you need. It tells a lot about the discovery of magic and stuff. You should play it. (Let alone because of the awesome dragon)
Who is Yarae?
He's a god-like figure mentioned in "Invasion from the Unknown" and "After the Storm", as well as in "Legend of the Invincibles".
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Computer_Player »

Regarding Khalifate, I've compiled a list of resources here:

Threads are labelled by their titles.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=46564

Things ofcourse are not set in stone, I myself would like to concentrate on Khalifate gameplay balance and unfortunately do not have the time to make things more orderly regarding Khalifate lore. another hint could be found on the units descriptions themselves ofc.
Ephraim

Post by Ephraim »

Thanks. That khalifate link was really useful, and maybe in The Library of Kratemaqt I can find a useful map, but I still need that:
—When the humans (I mean not in the Fallen Lich Point, I talk about before of the Green Isle) started to use magic?
—Wich magic powerfull items (as the sceptre of fire or the book of Crelanu) were there on the Old Continent in the year 250 before Wesnoth?
Someone knows?
Thanks
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Wich magic powerfull items (as the sceptre of fire or the book of Crelanu) were there on the Old Continent in the year 250 before Wesnoth?
It's not documented in Canon. However, the Ruby of Fire existed for a long time if you consider the plot of TLoK and HoI; and was only converted to a Sceptre during the events of its titular campaign. Since this is a UMC, you're free to add any new magical artefact you deem worthy.
When the humans (I mean not in the Fallen Lich Point, I talk about before of the Green Isle) started to use magic?
Circa ~7000BW (considering the timeline of my campaign series)
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Ephraim

Post by Ephraim »

It's not documented in Canon. However, the Ruby of Fire existed for a long time if you consider the plot of TLoK and HoI; and was only converted to a Sceptre during the events of its titular campaign. Since this is a UMC, you're free to add any new magical artefact you deem worthy.
TLoK? HoI? I supose they are add—ons, but... which are their complete names? (HoI is Hero of Irdya, I supose)
Circa ~7000BW (considering the timeline of my campaign series)
And which were the events that leaded the humans to discover the magic?

Some questions about the Ruby of Fire:
What were its origins?
How was it found by the Lich Lords?
What are its powers apart from throwing fireballs? (I think it had a dark aura ...)
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Ephraim wrote:TLoK? HoI? I supose they are add—ons, but... which are their complete names? (HoI is Hero of Irdya, I supose)
The Library of Kratemaqt and Hero of Irdya. When words are underlined like this you can hover the mouse cursor over it to see an explanation or something. (If you're using a touch screen instead of a mouse, not sure if there's a way to see it.)
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Paulomat4 wrote:
Who is Yarae?
He's a god-like figure mentioned in "Invasion from the Unknown" and "After the Storm", as well as in "Legend of the Invincibles".
Worth noting that Yarae actually originates from the former two campaigns, and I am absolutely certain that LotI is not designed to follow their canon, making its version of Yarae basically a completely different character who happens to have borrowed the name.

Incidentally, IftU and AtS also have a backstory of their own for the Ruby of Fire, which is bound to become incompatible with the official canon if a mainline campaign ever bothers to elaborate on it.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

The Wesfolk brought the Ruby of Fire with them from the Old Continent, as explained in TRoW.
shadowm wrote:Incidentally, IftU and AtS also have a backstory of their own for the Ruby of Fire, which is bound to become incompatible with the official canon if a mainline campaign ever bothers to elaborate on it.
I looked, and as far as I see, it's not very detailed there either. All that stuff about Inferno and Gatekeepers doesn't strike me as fundamentally incompatible with official canon, even if it's not explored in official canon.

It's not like we should have a mainline campaign with an explicit cutscene where a bunch of human sorcerers get together, do some magic and poof, there is the singlemost legendary artifact of the world. If it was that easy, there would be way more of them. So, it makes sense that its creation would implicitly involve something extraplanar such as gates between dimensions and killing a Gatekeeper and so on.
Ephraim

Post by Ephraim »

In this case...
How can be originated the Ruby of Fire? Maybe a fusion of the Guardian of Fire and the Guardian of Darkness?

And wich are its powers in IftU and AtS, apart of throwing fireballs?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

How can be originated the Ruby of Fire? Maybe a fusion of the Guardian of Fire and the Guardian of Darkness?

And wich are its powers in IftU and AtS, apart of throwing fireballs?
Bruh,
If you wanna build your campaign on the backstory established by another group, you will end up ruining it. #BeenThereDoneThat
As an UMC author, my advice to you is this: make your own. Your own custom continent, your own kingdoms on it, your own magical artefacts hidden in the depths of Irdya (or some other world entirely). Be like revansurik. XD
How can be originated the Ruby of Fire?
Here's an idea for you:
Create a powerful fire dragon in your story, kill it, rip its heart out, smelt the heart into a gem...and you have the Ruby of Fire.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium