Some campaign ideas.

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Scrubaverse

Some campaign ideas.

Post by Scrubaverse »

Hello, there.
Son of Dulmor
Player Faction-Dwarves and Human mercenaries
Protagonist-Dargan Dulmor, rightful heir to Dulmor Hold. Dwarvish Lord. Neutral Good
Setting-The Underdeep, near northern Wesnoth.
Enemy Faction-Drow Elves, Orcs and Dwarven ‘traitors’.
Description-The Dwarven hold of Dulmor was a prosperous hold, located on a vein of gold, iron, steel and other valuable materials. Ruled by good King Eormenric, fifty second son of the Dulmor line, it grew and grew more and more every day. Until the Drow came. At first, it was barely noticeable, the occasional patrol would be reported missing, or come back bloodied. But it steadily grew into raids, then skirmishes and finally battles, and through the Dwarves of Dulmor were more then capable warriors, the Drow were cunning, favoring to bleed their enemy out from the shadows rather then fight in long, drawn out battles. Using slaves and mercenaries as cannon fodder as their agents sabotaged the defenses of Dulmor, only assaulting the hold once the defenders were barely able to put up a true fight. King Eormenric and much of his family was slain in the conquest of Dulmor, his first cousin, Lord Venris, being placed on the throne as a puppet by the Drow who thought all of Eormenric's line dead.

Of course, there would be no tale if that was the truth. Dargan, the surly and gruff fifth son of Eormenric, managed to escape the slaughter unseen, escaping to the surface and eventually coming upon the human city of Halsgrof. There he became a Thegn of the ruling family, the Balsgruuf and became the best friend of the heir to the hold-Thorvard Balsgruuf. Working a loyal thegn to the Balsgruuf's, Dargan spent the years building up support to hopefully reclaim his home, finding support in a fellow Dwarf named Faran Magamek-Gates, who only agreed as long as Dargan would give him the sole right to mine the hold's resources for his various businesses. Now with a army of fellow exiled Dwarves and mercenaries, Dargan prepares to reclaim his home, or die trying.

The Dragon Slayer (Name is WIP)
Player Faction-Kingdom of Wesnoth, mercenaries of various races
Protagonist-Elissa Telvar, youngest child of Baron Israd Telvar and Baroness Breda. Elissa wishes to be the first female Telvar to become a Dragon Slayer, something Israd fully supports, if only because his son is...less than enthused with his responsibilities. Royal Guard with sword and bow.
Secondary Characters-Charles, Steward of House Telvar and Pseudo-Grandfather to Elissa. Has lived through many generations of Telvars and used to hunt Dragons with them till age began to catch up. Now he spends most of his time trying to manage the Telvar's barony, and stopping them from getting their entire line killed. Master at Arms.
Bestar, Sergeant in the Wesnoth army and press ganged mercenary. The [censored] of a Wesnoth noble, Bestar is a born leader of men and very capable in both strategy, tactics and swordsmanship. Starts as a Sergeant that slowly rises to Grand Marshal.
Enemy Faction-Troxian Barbarians/Orcs. Troxian Barbarians I envision as human tribes that live in a forest called the "Dark Forest' and normally mind their own business, expect for the occasional raid. But have begun to rise into a army under the leadership of something...or someone named Arkaban. Rumored to be a dragon.
Description-Elissa Telvar is the youngest child of Israd and Breda Telvar, a family of great dragon slayers (It is literally the only thing they have going for them and the only reason they are nobles, the founder of the house being a former men-at-arms that slayed the Dragon Baruda, through accounts on how he did it vary) and their only daughter. While most female Telvars are simply married off and not trained, Elissa does wish to be a wallflower, but a fierce Knight who slays dragons, as her father is. While she trains every day for combat, a war is brewing, the Troxian barbarians in the south amassing an army under the banner of Arkaban, a dragon (or so the rumors say) that wants to destroy the lesser kingdoms and forge his own. Perhaps she shall find her long awaited glory in this war, or perhaps she shall stay an unknown lady of a small, but wealthy barony.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Some campaign ideas.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hello there!

You have suggested quite intriguing stories for campaigns. It would be worth your while if you coded them yourself. WML is not that hard to learn and most new coders start off by editing an existing project such as A Simple Campaign. However, there maybe someone willing to code it for you (The_Gnat might do it).

Secondly, Son of Dulmor sounds more like a single scenario rather a campaign as the synopsis mainly focuses on just reclaiming your inheritance.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Scrubaverse

Post by Scrubaverse »

Coding and me is like trying to help rebuild an orphanage by pouring gasoline around it and lighting a match.
Vulpine

Post by Vulpine »

Hey there! They sound like good storylines to me.

I was wondering, how active do you actually want to be in its development? Because I'm thinking if you storyboard it and make extensive notes on the map design (or even create the maps yourself) it could potentially make coding it easier for those who are interested. (Or it could be entirely useless if the person who gets around to coding it decides he wants an entirely different layout :D )

Just my opinion. Best of luck!
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
Also the author of Elvish Incursion, a short little prologue.
[/shameless_advertising]
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hello, just thought i would post and say that i have talked to scrubaverse and i am planning on helping him make this campaign. :D
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Hello, just thought i would post and say that i have talked to scrubaverse and i am planning on helping him make this campaign.
(The_Gnat might do it)
Told ya so... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:Hello there!

You have suggested quite intriguing stories for campaigns. It would be worth your while if you coded them yourself. WML is not that hard to learn and most new coders start off by editing an existing project such as A Simple Campaign. However, there maybe someone willing to code it for you (The_Gnat might do it).

Secondly, Son of Dulmor sounds more like a single scenario rather a campaign as the synopsis mainly focuses on just reclaiming your inheritance.
Honestly, I'm in kind of the same boat.

I'm a writer by inclination, not a techie person at all. I learned a little coding, but was never good at it and, to be honest, never had much patience for it.

So I'm full of ideas that will probably never be made. I fully admit that that's my own fault. :?
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

The Great Rings wrote:
Honestly, I'm in kind of the same boat.

I'm a writer by inclination, not a techie person at all. I learned a little coding, but was never good at it and, to be honest, never had much patience for it.

So I'm full of ideas that will probably never be made. I fully admit that that's my own fault. :?
Yes many people (on the wesnoth forum) do not take interest in coding. Personally, however, I find much enjoyment in creating things.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

The_Gnat wrote:Yes many people (on the wesnoth forum) do not take interest in coding. Personally, however, I find much enjoyment in creating things.
i agree with you.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

ForestDragon wrote:
The_Gnat wrote:Yes many people (on the wesnoth forum) do not take interest in coding. Personally, however, I find much enjoyment in creating things.
i agree with you.
:D Yes. And i believe i sometimes even spend more time writing wml than playing the game ;)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Yes. And i believe i sometimes even spend more time writing wml than playing the game
Same goes for me. I finished all mainline campaigns on normal around 4 years ago and never bothered to replay them. Completed IftU and AtS on the first difficulty and then started to code my own. Currently busy trying to get the first episode of HoI1 completed for a May release.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:
Yes. And i believe i sometimes even spend more time writing wml than playing the game
Same goes for me. I finished all mainline campaigns on normal around 4 years ago and never bothered to replay them. Completed IftU and AtS on the first difficulty and then started to code my own. Currently busy trying to get the first episode of HoI1 completed for a May release.
:D Great! And it's people like us that are responsible for the 1.12 add-on server having so many different add-ons ;)