Split from Scripts for Wesnoth

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WTrawi
Location: My location is not public, but I know YOURS and I can use it against you.

Split from Scripts for Wesnoth

Post by WTrawi »

In about 2009 Kitty started a project to create scripts of Wesnoth, and she made everything except dwarvish runes. I miss them, so I think I'm going to draw some. Do you like the idea? :D
Last edited by WTrawi on November 12th, 2016, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not very active on the forum anymore, but I still read it, and I also still play Wesnoth and draw a bit.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Split from Scripts for Wesnoth

Post by zookeeper »

Split because obviously don't resurrect a thread from 2009 to ask a question like that.
WTrawi
Location: My location is not public, but I know YOURS and I can use it against you.

Post by WTrawi »

I'm really sorry that.
Not very active on the forum anymore, but I still read it, and I also still play Wesnoth and draw a bit.
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

I can see that no one's interested in that.
Addan-Shem

Dwarvish Runes

Post by Addan-Shem »

For interest to appear you could show some of the runes you made. :)
[You read the signature and discover a link to this user's art workshop.]
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

I think I'd start with the language itself.
I think mostly important is that it should important a lots of r-s, k-s, t-s and some German letters like ä ö and ü. Also, it would contain lots of consonats.

I meant something like those (few characters from Hungarian rune writing):
Attachments
Rovásírás.jpg
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Cool idea. They look like human runes - perhaps because drawn with a brush? I think dwarves would use stone carving tools or work in near-molten stones and crystals.
How will the runes be used? For example create a FreeType font that gets downloaded as a add-on resource and shows up in dialogs, or use them as an offline reference when making graphics like portraits and scenario intros.
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

That's a cool idea, I can make a font of them.
I drew them quickly on paper with a marker, but they're meant to be carved of course :)
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

This is something I am very interested in. I'm not sure how much kitty's scripts were used, but I think they should be used more.

Those sample runes look like a good start.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Nice, i think that if you make them almost indented (using shadows or something, i'm no artist so you'll have to try some techniques ;) ) then they will look more like dwarvish runes! Also glowing runes might be cool!

Here is a example picture of a rune by skeptical troll, edited by addem shem:
glowing runes
Here is a rune carved in a rock:
carved runes
Also if you put your runes on a map, or picture of old parchment that would be cool alternative! (like the map at the start of the hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien) (if you make your runes so that they have a transparent background then you can put them on the wesnoth maps!)
map runes
You might not want to carve your runes in rocks or make them glow and thats fine!

Keep up the good work! :D
Durin_the_great

Post by Durin_the_great »

If you are interested, I have created a dwarvish runeset for wesnoth, that is based on dwarvish cultural elements.
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

Can we see it? :)
Durin_the_great

It's on paper right now. Will upload it and comment the cultural background in a few days then.
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

I think there are a lot of good ideas in Hungarian rune writing, so I found a font with a lot of strange characters I've never seen before. :shock:
Attachments
Runes.png
Durin_the_great

Sorry for taking so long to upload it. Here it is.

I started with the cultural background. I wanted to stay less complicated, so I limited the number of runes in the set. This might prove ill, since this runeset is not enough to write all dwarvish Wesnothian names. But it was made more like for general in-game-dwarf purposes.

The main element in the dwarvish universe is earth (not as the planet or soil, but as the element, everything that is below surface). All things rise from the earth and later join it again. There are four main substances that interact with dwarves: metal (metals, alloys and ores), stone (rocks, minerals), gem (gems, crystals, jewels) and fuel (coal, gas, oil).Each of them is extremely important for dwarvish culture and life. Each one has a field of dwarvish existance priorities. These are life, death, wealth and honour. Fuel supports life, gems bring wealth, metal earns honour and stone takes the dead. At the rune scheme, it would be represented as arrows from the outer rectangle to the inner rectangle and from the inner to earth and from earth to all the outer substances.

The substances and existance elements also interact with each other. Fuel turns to gems (mostly the diamond synthesis from coal), gems buy metal (armours, weapons etc.), metal becomes stone (rusting) and stone shelters fuel (mining). That would be represented as counterclockwise arrows in the outer rectangle. As four the inner ones, it's a clockwise relation. Life ends in death, death gives honour, honour brings wealth, wealth supports life.

These relations give us a scheme of the 9 main runes:

I am quite bad at digital arts so the ratios and the syle is only roughly what I meant, but you get the idea of the shapes. Also, the circles and circleparts could be chenged to rhombi and lines respectively.

These runes represent consonants, the main part of dwarvish language. As in most non-analytic languages, dwarvish could use radicals. A radical is a set of consonants that does not change in related words. The vowels might then be represented as diacritic marks. I used four vowels: a, i, u and h. Yes, h would be a vowel that comes after a consonant, eg -kh-, -gh-, -dh-. So far I used | for a, = for i, ^ for u and / for h. The vowel symbol is added on the rune of the consonant it comes after. If there are two vowels in a row, the second is represented as its symbol placed on an x.

That much so far. I also have made a possible dwarvish counting system model fragment if anyone is interested.

I know it lacks some letters to suit Wesnothian dwarf name writing task. Mainly t, f, and s. Knowledge could be added among the inner circle, not sure about its substance.

As for the runes, they are stylized versions of things relted to the rune meaning.

Yours

Durin