the Roots of Aragwaithi

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eagle_11

the Roots of Aragwaithi

Post by Eagle_11 »

who invented this faction first, where lays their true beginnings ? had to ask since have spotted them even in an old Feudal Era version of Orbivm.
I know for one they appear in several post-fall era campaigns happening on Irdya, but what about any possible earlier appearances ? how many different versions of this faction is out there ?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: the Roots of Aragwaithi

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Eagle_11 wrote:who invented this faction first, where lays their true beginnings ? had to ask since have spotted them even in an old Feudal Era version of Orbivm.
I know for one they appear in several post-fall era campaigns happening on Irdya, but what about any possible earlier appearances ? how many different versions of this faction is out there ?
Well, for starters...they appear in revansurik's Dragon trilogy. Look up "A Song of Fire" and "Aria of the Dragon-Slayer".

Forum discussions mention the Aragwaithi's place in Irdya as the primitive inhabitants of the Green Isle and reach a much more civilised state during the decay of the Wesnothian Empire.

They are also supposed to appear in my campaign series (if I ever get around to that part...)
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
taptap

Post by taptap »

Aragwaithi were invented starting from the sprites, afaik.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

about appearances, i guess i seen them in Extended Era, which is supposed to be pretty old
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Sprites ? which race is that, is it what became the faeries ?
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Eagle_11 wrote:Sprites ? which race is that, is it what became the faeries ?
i think taptap meant 'sprite' as 'unit sprite' not 'sprites' as lvl1 faeries, but i can't say for sure
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
taptap

Post by taptap »

ForestDragon wins a tasty trout. As far as my lizard senses tell me, it all started here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4345. Two months later it was already a faction worth of sprites, that you can find by searching Aragwaith and going back to the earliest post.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

taptap wrote:it all started here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4345.
Wow!
So high quality hardly can be expected in 2005! In so early stage of Wesnoth.
First lvl2 unit in the second row has a quality that is suitabe even nowdays!

I even upload it separately here. Unbelievable! Still can be used in some UMC.
Attachments
still_looking_good.png
still_looking_good.png (9.38 KiB) Viewed 5404 times
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Uh, those aren't the aragwaithi i know. The ones in revansurik's dragon trilogy and shadowm's invasion from the unkonwn aad after the storm are different and of a much higher quality. In fact, i think that aragwaithi faction is the best drawn faction in UMC BfW.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Sudipta wrote:Uh, those aren't the aragwaithi i know. The ones in revansurik's dragon trilogy and shadowm's invasion from the unkonwn aad after the storm are different and of a much higher quality.
taptap meant where it started the modern aragwaithi are different indeed
Sudipta wrote:In fact, i think that aragwaithi faction is the best drawn faction in UMC BfW.
hmmmm... you sure it can outmatch Chaos Empire in art quality (look at current iftu), i think not
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

hmmmm... you sure it can outmatch Chaos Empire in art quality (look at current iftu), i think not
Yeah, the Chaos Imperial units are of higher quality but lack any animations whatsoever. The new Aragwaithi have animations (all Lvl 1s, some lvl2s, and some lvl3s). There are a few TC glitches, but I am fixing them.
i think that aragwaithi faction is the best drawn faction in UMC BfW.
best drawn? No, they are best UMC faction around. Versatile and deadly.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:best drawn? No, they are best UMC faction around. Versatile and deadly.
i agree that they are some of the best when it comes to being balanced, since they are old, and refined with age. about new chaos empire lacking anims, it's kinda the new 1.12-introduced style thing, i guess
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

There are a few TC glitches, but I am fixing them.
Oh, had done that. Attached in a zip any ive got.
Attachments
human-aragwaithi-sprites.zip
fixed teamcolors
(758.16 KiB) Downloaded 420 times
Gyra_Solune

Post by Gyra_Solune »

I don't 100% get what the Aragwaithi is all about? More specifically what their deal is with playing them. Every other faction I get a clear sense of how it is they're played just by glancing at them but I'm not totally sure what it is the Aragwaithi 'do', and how they would feel like to use. I vaguely get the sense they're sorta comparable to the Khalifate? But they're a lot more glass cannon-like, with insanely high base damage but very little HP. Dunno how that translates to a central theme for how you use them.

But then I look at the Chaos Empire and am just like, 'what on earth even'
taptap

Post by taptap »

Era of Chaos looks very much like "Invasion from the Unknown" faction module to me (what is now listed as Chaos Empire used to be three different factions in earlier iterations). Can't imagine this is remotely balanced on normal multiplayer maps / day/night cycle, but with the long days of UtBS cycle with not only more light in general, but the option to press an attack from first dawn for 6 turns of light, 4 turns dawn and only 1 turn short dark (and all this with the overall better movement type) non-chaotic factions should do somewhat better than the stats suggest.