what is arcane

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Bitron
Developer

what is arcane

Post by Bitron »

good evening, guys and girls!

I'm wonderung why the elves have a vulnerability to arcane.
In the manual it says "An attack that dispels the magic animating zombies, spectres, and other undead creatures and spirits. Example: A white mage’s magic attack."

But elves seems.. well.. quite alive to me ...

Is it because arcane is kind of a holy attack? It would explain the +20% arcane resistance for loyalist because Humans are quite religious, well and elves are not.
But it is just an assumption.. so whats the matter here?
ForestDragon

Re: what is arcane

Post by ForestDragon »

Bitron wrote:good evening, guys and girls!

I'm wonderung why the elves have a vulnerability to arcane.
In the manual it says "An attack that dispels the magic animating zombies, spectres, and other undead creatures and spirits. Example: A white mage’s magic attack."

But elves seems.. well.. quite alive to me ...

Is it because arcane is kind of a holy attack? It would explain the +20% arcane resistance for loyalist because Humans are quite religious, well and elves are not.
But it is just an assumption.. so whats the matter here?
well, orcs and some other races have 0% resistance to arcane. you are right about the human part. about elves, i think it has something to do with their faerie nature/origin, or something
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
skeptical_troll

Post by skeptical_troll »

Classical Wesnoth topic! :)
here some threads about it
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13851
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33007
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27741
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Arcane used to be called Holy, an leftover of that time. Has been left as is for sake of simplicity and because wouldnt differ that much when seperated into holy,unholy,arcane.
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

It seems to be seen as "raw magic" or "anti-magic" so its strong against every magical creature. Undeads are "alive" only because of magic, so arcane is totally ripping them apart and elves also have a deep, natural connection to magic., which is why they are also vulnerable to it.
Humans aren't magical creatures at all, which is why they are a bit more resistant to it.

Well thanks to you for the quick answers. (: