Timeline continuity problem regarding the Age of Fear.

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheGreatRings

Timeline continuity problem regarding the Age of Fear.

Post by TheGreatRings »

The Timeline says "The Age of Fear takes its names from the events of the end of the era. On the surface, the first 90 years were very uneventful."

However, it also says that four years into the Age of Fear is Tallin's revolt against the orcs, and a year later is the rise of the Northern Alliance. Furthermore, it says that 20 years in is the whole Kal Kartha affair in Hammer of Thursagan, and a time of Wesnothian colonization/expansion.

Wesnoth may have seemed uneventful, or at least peaceful, during this time, but the North certainly wasn't. The Timeline ought to be amended accordingly. And this would be a very small, trivially easy thing to fix.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Whiskeyjack

Re: Timeline continuity problem regarding the Age of Fear.

Post by Whiskeyjack »

The way I understood the timeline, the ages are (mostly) focused on Wesnoth and take their names from Wesnoths history. Thus I took the first paragraph to be only aimed at Wesnoth already. This point is supported by the fact, that the story of the Northlands is reported seperately in the next paragraph, starting with a statement about the chaotic nature of those (less civilized) lands.
Timeline wrote:It was in this era that certain areas of the chaotic Northlands were for the first time put into any kind of law and order.
Not a problem IMO, but clarifying the wording shouldn´t be a problem. I´d suggest expanding the sentence to:
On the surface, the first 90 years were very uneventful for the kingdom of Wesnoth.
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

A good point, clarified for the sentence to explicitly reference the kingdom of Wesnoth.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Even then, it still contradicts The South Guard (unless that's a small enough conflict not to be considered a major disruption). But its definitely an improvement continuity-wise. Thanks for addressing this.
The X-files

Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

The Great Rings wrote:Even then, it still contradicts The South Guard (unless that's a small enough conflict not to be considered a major disruption). But its definitely an improvement continuity-wise. Thanks for addressing this.
From the wiki timeline, or a campaign contents perspective? What would be the best way to address it?
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

I haven't played South Guard for a long time (I probably should if I'm commenting extensively on it). But from what I recall of it and what the timeline says, I gather that it involves Wesnoth and takes place during this supposedly "uneventful" time.

I really should have mentioned that in my first post in this thread, but I guess I overlooked it. My apologies.

All that said, from what I recall, South Guard wasn't an earth-shattering conflict like Rise of Wesnoth, HttT, or Northern Rebirth. If that is indeed so, it might be a small enough event that it wouldn't contradict the overall period being considered uneventful.

If, however, you feel it requires a change, two possible solutions come to mind.

1. Just drop that line about it being uneventful altogether. I confess I have a slight bias for this because it would give writers more freedom with that era. Regardless, its nice to have the occasional period of peace in Wesnoth's history, and I don't know if we should change that. So option two:

2. Change 90 years to 77 years (or round it to eighty years- its still approximately correct), with South Guard marking the end of the era of peace. This would probably be the simplest and least disruptive fix in my opinion.
The X-files

Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

The Great Rings wrote:2. Change 90 years to 77 years (or round it to eighty years- its still approximately correct), with South Guard marking the end of the era of peace. This would probably be the simplest and least disruptive fix in my opinion.
This seems the best way to go about it, as the shift in years does not really affect anything while still letting TSG have somewhat of an impact instead of just being a minor blip. However, should it then be that the last 23 years were disruptive? Compared to TSG, EI is a major event that greatly altered Wesnoth.
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

I think it´s no problem to leave the description for the latter years at ten. If anyone actually does the math and realizes, that between the first 77 and the last ten years lie 13 years not accounte for the person would probably look at the critical moments in the timeline and realize, that for one thing the period of uneventfullness ended (because of the events from TSG taking place) and for another those events just weren´t on par with the massive invasion taking place at the end of the era (as again specified in the timeline).
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Whiskeyjack wrote:I think it´s no problem to leave the description for the latter years at ten. If anyone actually does the math and realizes, that between the first 77 and the last ten years lie 13 years not accounte for the person would probably look at the critical moments in the timeline and realize, that for one thing the period of uneventfullness ended (because of the events from TSG taking place) and for another those events just weren´t on par with the massive invasion taking place at the end of the era (as again specified in the timeline).
That's fair, I have updated the wiki to reflect the more accurate 77 years of true peace.