Lore question: the New Mage Ceremony

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lonebeast

Lore question: the New Mage Ceremony

Post by lonebeast »

Suddenly, a question raced through my head: in the beginning of Delfador's campaign we see a naming ceremony - which is... cinematic, but raises one question. If every mage graduating from the Great Academy of Alduin passes the New Mage Ceremony where he is given a new name, does it mean that...
  • * the mage's old name is never used again and Delfador, for example, was given a different name by birth? (and Malin Keshar, for another example, kept his old name because his teaching wasn't completed)
    * mage's ties with his family and old friends, who knew him by his old name, are severed, the mage is "assigned" to some different location than his home town/village and he is unlikely to meet people who knew him by his old name?
I honeslty think that introducing New Mage Ceremony into Wesnoth lore could raise some interesting questions...
TheGreatRings

Re: Lore question: the New Mage Ceremony

Post by TheGreatRings »

lonebeast wrote:Suddenly, a question raced through my head: in the beginning of Delfador's campaign we see a naming ceremony - which is... cinematic, but raises one question. If every mage graduating from the Great Academy of Alduin passes the New Mage Ceremony where he is given a new name, does it mean that...
  • * the mage's old name is never used again and Delfador, for example, was given a different name by birth? (and Malin Keshar, for another example, kept his old name because his teaching wasn't completed)
    * mage's ties with his family and old friends, who knew him by his old name, are severed, the mage is "assigned" to some different location than his home town/village and he is unlikely to meet people who knew him by his old name?
I honeslty think that introducing New Mage Ceremony into Wesnoth lore could raise some interesting questions...
Interesting questions.

I haven't played Delfadore's Memoires for a long time, but it isn't unknown for someone reaching a particular position to be given a new name- Popes come to mind. Or, in fiction, we have Sith names from Star Wars, like Darth Vader.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the individual will be expected to cut off contact from anyone they previously knew, however.

All this, of course, raises another interesting question: how much autonomy do the mages have? How securely are they under the crown's control?
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Whiskeyjack

Re: Lore question: the New Mage Ceremony

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Having just started playing the campaign, I have to clarify a point that is somewhat mistakeable in the current order of sentences in the campaign:

New Mage Ceremony =!= the naming ceremony

It is explicitely stated, that there are 2 ceremonies. One of them being the New Mage Ceremony (this has something to do with Defaldor leaving Alduin and learning from Methin for a couple of years). The other one is the naming ceremony as shown at the beginning. The New Mage Ceremony seems like it could be a fitting ritual of initiation for all new mages, but it is left sadly unspecified in the campaign.
IMO the naming ceremony is already rather lofty and not fitting for something all the hundreds of mages participate in (at least in the way currently shown in the campaign).
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.