Campaign story idea: The Northern Alliance vs. Wesnoth.

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheGreatRings

Re: Campaign story idea: The Northern Alliance vs. Wesnoth.

Post by TheGreatRings »

Interesting point. Thanks for the suggestion.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Anyway, here's a very tentative, condensed plot outline:

Scenario one: The protagonist, a dwarf from an outlying town, journeys with a group of other travellers to Knalga to become a smith's apprentice. On the way, she must help her people fight off bandits.

Scenario two: Having failed to become an apprentice smith in Knalga, the protagonist finds work among the humans of Dwarven Doors and joins the militia (basically farmers and craftsmen in Dwarven Doors who serve as part time soldiers). She travels with a caravan of merchants delivering goods to a frontier orc town which is being flooded with refugees and outlaws from Wesnoth's civil war. A skirmish breaks out with some hostile Wesnothians (either brigands who have fled from Wesnoth or pursuing troops). A friendly orc and human fighter would join the protagonist in this scenario and become major characters.

Scenario three: An ambassador arrives from Wesnoth. Due to the complicated Wesnothian politics that resulted from the civil war and the desire of both sides to have an excuse to seize the Ford of Abez, negotiations fail. An all-out assault is launched on Abez from Wesnoth and repelled. This will be a big, long, ugly meat grinder of a battle along the lines of some in Northern Rebirth. You'd get a friendly white mage in this scenario who would remain for the rest of the campaign.

Scenario five: The protagonist is sent to Wesmere to negotiate with elves so the NA can send troops through their woods to bypass Abez while Wesnoth can't. Wesnoth does the same. The three groups end up having to work together against a local necromancer, but the truce doesn't last. The elves refuse to support either side, but an elf will join your group in this scenario. Possibly some type of undead creature or redeemed dark mage as well.

Scenario six: The protagonist marches eastward to try to invade Wesnoth from the east, like Konrad of old. Probably a fight with some orcs on the way.

Scenario seven: Wesnoth is trying to attack through the east as well and must be defeated.

Scenario eight: The hero arrives in Soradoc and is met by Wesnothians who oppose the king but still have no particular desire to be ruled by the Northern Alliance.

Scenario nine: The protagonist marches on Weldyn. The NA army must crush the Wesnothian army (both the forces in Weldyn and a reinforcing army from Dan Tok that will arrive after a little while). Once this is done, you can put a new king on the throne who will agree to favourable terms for the NA. Outright conquering Wesnoth is not an option as the population is already rebelling against you and Wesnoth is too big to occupy perpetually. I'm thinking of the truce angering the orcs in some way, thus explaining why, according to the timeline, orcs left the NA.

I might have a friendly Wesnothian join the protagonist at some point too.

Apologies for continually editing this, but I thought I'd add a couple things.

Possible friendly characters you control: female dwarf protagonist (probably a unique unit but similar to the dwarf lord and its predecessors), human spearman, orc wolf rider, white mage, elvish shaman, redeemed adept or ghost (like in Northern Rebirth), and Wesnothian horseman of some kind.

Possible recruitable units: spearmen, bowmen, footpads, orc grunts, orc archers, goblins, and wolf riders.

Another correction: I'd like to give the player access to those dwarf guns at some point, and maybe griffons. The NA is distinctive in that it has guns and an airforce. It hardly seems fair to leave those out.
The X-files

Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

I like most of this. The one thing that bugs me is the NA invading this deep into Wesnoth and actually having enough influence to install the next king (and under the leadership of a failed smith´s apprentice no less). You said that you thought highly of the fact that the player actually had to lose a battle in that campaign. How about a draw at the battle of Weldyn (turns run out) which forces favorable terms from the Wesnothians but results in the end of the military campaign? Or something like the protagonist loses a major battle on the way and is forced to ally with one of the contenders for the throne, thus ensuing the presence in the battle of Weldyn and the following favorable outcome of the conflict between NA and Wesnoth?
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Actually, I'm thinking of having the battle at Abez be an NA attack on Wesnoth that fails.
The X-files

Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

I always thought that the province where Liberty starts easely could be a place for NA claims. It north to the river, yes? And still a part of the empire. Am I not right?
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Aldarisvet wrote:I always thought that the province where Liberty starts easely could be a place for NA claims. It north to the river, yes? And still a part of the empire. Am I not right?
As it was quite independant already and gets deserted in the events of Liberty chances are it was just given up. Though there was an era of prosperity after HttT so it could also have been re-settled by Wesnoth at some point.
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.