Undead lore question - swamp

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

max_torch
Inactive Developer

Undead lore question - swamp

Post by max_torch »

The undead really like swamp:
swamp.png
How does the undead flood grasslands?
And why are swamps = death and decay? in real life swamps are full of cute things like beavers and stuff.
Where did this whole undead likes swamps start from in wesnoth?
It seems that even necromancers gain more power when they go to a swamp as seen from the campaign DiD descent into darkness.
I ask only to imagine it for the sake of appreciating the high fantasy of the game even though i know about WINR(Wensoth is not realistic)
Dugi

Re: Undead lore question - swamp

Post by Dugi »

Read this article. It's not wesnoth-only. An evil swamp was already in Lord of the Rings.

In the past, people didn't like swamps. They were thriving with life, but also with the kinds of life most people were not really fond of. Standing waters are an excellent place for breeding for insects and leeches. If something died there, it could sink, scavengers didn't find it and the decomposition products and infectious bacteria from it spread through the water (a larger decomposing body that is not eaten by any scavengers will release products so toxic that nothing will grow there for a couple of years). The abundance of water causes an abundance of fog. Furthermore, there were myths about people drowning in quicksand, muddy deathtraps that will kill anyone who steps in them (note that the only way to drown in quicksand is that it will slow your movement so much that you will drown in a coming tide).
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

agree with Dugi, just to say it from a different perspective: Civilization is built by taming enveiroment and eliminating surronding threats (as undead). Undead live near swamps as native Americans ended living in the most unfertile lands: not because they like it, but because "civilization" killed them elsewhere.
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

Very interesting... I didn't realize it was a common fantasy convention rooted even outside of wesnoth